ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion
Go Back   ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion > Action Figure Discussion > Action Figure General Discussion

Old 07-17-2023, 03:58 PM   #1621
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys
Re: I open a toy & post it here... VOL 2!

936-2
Hasbro- Marvel Legends: Dormammu

Last Marvel Legends review I was dissecting the MCU, this is the continuation of that.

Phase 2
Movies:
Iron Man 3 - Overall there was nothing special at the time about this movie, but it’s a fun watch now.
Thor: The Dark World- If this came out now, people would riot.
Captain America: The Winter Soldier- This is the movie that changed the course of the MCU. Action packed, serious with overarching story beats. The MCU owes its success to this movie.
Guardians of the Galaxy- Stuck the landing as a unique team being introduced. However, it also set the standard for a not-so-serious MCU that people are now starting to hate. They didn’t hate it back then though.
Avengers: Age of Ultron- Another difficult ensemble film, but didn’t hit the same as the first Avengers. I liked it though and still did well to introduce some characters and concepts.
Ant-Man: A fine origin, but was another comedic entry.

TV Shows:
Agents of SHIELD- Before there was Disney Plus, the MCU existed on TV and even though this series didn't really exist in the world of the MCU, it was certainly based on the same characters. Yes it had some fans too, but it was basic TV level production at best and did not compete with any of the D+ series IMO.

Overall, of 7 projects 4 could probably be considered great (winter soldier) to decent (GOTG and Ant Man). Still though, nothing, except WS, is better than most of the Phase 4 Stuff.

To be continued…

Pros: I’m not sure if this wave was well liked given that I got the entire wave for less than $20 each, but so far I think it’s the bee's-knees. Big D had a great sculpt with lots of extra flairs, and some neat energy effects, plus a surprising amount of extra hands including a…

Cons: … set of trigger hands? Like, why? He has no gun or a need for a gun as far as I know.

Team Jetfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2023, 02:54 PM   #1622
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

937-2
Hasbro- Transformers RED: Galvatron

You can’t see it, but I am still holding a very high torch for this now defunct RED line of figures. I get it, they don’t transform, but as I’ve said before, I don’t really transform my figures after they are put on the shelf, so why not capture a very solid robot mode that has sculpting details from the G1 cartoon with excellent articulation and a bunch of neat accessories. They aren’t perfect though and only really shine when they are based on older G1 figures given that the more modern figures had decent robot modes to begin with, but I digress: I still like them.

Pros: Galvatron is an all around solid figure with a nice sculpt, great articulation and some pretty neat accessories including extra hands and the Matrix of leadership necklace.

Cons: Generally speaking, I love blast effects, but not so much these ones…

Last edited by Team Jetfire; 07-18-2023 at 02:58 PM.
Old 07-18-2023, 05:31 PM   #1623
Robimus
Super Moderator

The Shockwave RED is great. Perfect cartoon likeness and I love how it came with the six inch scale Megatron gun.

Visit the official TFcon Toronto Website for all the details!
Robimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2023, 08:44 PM   #1624
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robimus View Post
The Shockwave RED is great. Perfect cartoon likeness and I love how it came with the six inch scale Megatron gun.
Good to hear. I?m saving him for last.
Old 07-19-2023, 08:44 PM   #1625
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

938-2
Hasbro- G.I. Joe Classified: Profit Director Destro

I simultaneously both hate and love this figure. I hate it because I loth when people label his ad ?PIMP- DADDY? Destro. I guess that was the initial intention, but the idea that Destro would be some pimp selling coked-out hookers for sex is just a step too far for me. I guess it?s no better than being a global arms dealer selling weapons to terrorist organizations, but I kind of put him above being an exploitative ?pimp?. That said, I love him because he is a crazy curiosity that would NEVER get the green light of production now. Hell, I still think it?s nuts that he was produced when he was, but probably got in under the radar when the future of Classified was questionable.

Pros: Now THIS is how you do a repaint. Yes, he is the same basic mold as the OG release, but the extras, including the animal pelt, sun glasses and burning money, really make this figure special.

Cons: I don?t love that he?s considered a ?pimp? nor do I like that his pelt/cape limits articulation some, but overall he is a fun figure.

Old 07-20-2023, 02:53 AM   #1626
Robimus
Super Moderator

I don't think the official idea was that he was ever a pimp.

That be fan fiction.

Old 07-20-2023, 08:28 PM   #1627
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

Quote:
I don't think the official idea was that he was ever a pimp.

That be fan fiction.
So it’s unclear and this article of its origin doesn?t help too much. I didn?t think they outright called him PimpDaddy, but I?m not sure they weren?t thinking it. https://www.yojoe.com/faq/pdd.shtml
Old 07-21-2023, 01:04 AM   #1628
Robimus
Super Moderator

I think that article sounds plausible.

I just would look to the file card, figure packaging, so on. I would assume those have no mention of the pimping.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Jetfire View Post
So it?s unclear and this article of its origin doesn?t help too much. I didn?t think they outright called him PimpDaddy, but I?m not sure they weren?t thinking it. https://www.yojoe.com/faq/pdd.shtml

Old 07-21-2023, 11:17 AM   #1629
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

Quote:
I think that article sounds plausible.

I just would look to the file card, figure packaging, so on. I would assume those have no mention of the pimping.
Given that the original figure is so rare and limited I doubt they even got to the stage of file cards and so forth. There is nothing really on the 25th anniversary figure either so while I think there was some intent with the deco, you are correct that (thankfully) there is nothing official about him being a pimp.

That said, releasing this Classified Destro as Profit Director Destro really is a wink to Pimp Daddy as they are both abbreviated to PDD.I mean, what is a Profit Director anyways? Lol.

This back and forth makes me appreciate this character even more though. Kind of like Kenners ?spring loaded Boba Fett?, PD Destro is a bit of a legend in the series and for Classified to give him a nod this early only is kind of cool.
Old 07-21-2023, 11:18 AM   #1630
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

27-R
McFarlane Toys: KISS Psycho Circus Tour Edition: Gene Simmons
Approximate Release Date: 1998.

I have a strange relationship with the band KISS and I think part of that can be blamed on McFarlane Toys and Gene Simmons amazing salesmanship.

I should say that growing up, I was never much of a KISS fan. By the time I was grown enough to care about music, they were really a band of the past and had moved on from their glam days, but for whatever reason their resurgence really hit me at the right time in my life to make an impact. First off was the toys and media blitz. In 1998 I was bored of Star Wars and looking for something different (which is where McFarlane comes in). Couple that with a mystical comic book full of lore and character backstory and a new rock album that still has one of the best KISS songs to date, you have the perfect storm of something that would entice a young male looking to spend his meager pay check on stuff. And before you call me a poser or a fake fan, I will flex a the following bonafides: Back in 1995 I actually stood in line and met one Ace Frehley, in person, at the local guitar store and a few years later my friends and I drove 3.5 hours to see KISS in concert and wore FULL face paint, even though we were in the nose bleeds and were sitting next a 80 year old man, who fell asleep halfway through the show; lets just say that they were not too happy with our enthusiasm. Incidentally Skid Row and Ted Nuggent were the openers for that show and part of Ted’s set included him shooting an arrow at a stuffed bison. I guess he was a lunatic back then too. This is all a long way to say, I still like KISS and am happy that they are still relevant for the most part. Also, there was a fairly well produced KISS documentary just released, but I think it was cut up into parts and I have not come accoress part 2 yet. In any case a VERY interesting look at the band for fans and non-fans alike.

Pros: Up to the point that this figure was released I had pretty well got my fill of McFarlane made KISS figures, so I only got Gene of this wave as a show of solidarity between bass players. Overall he has the same amazing sculpt that McFarlane was known for at the time, but also the same limited articulation and ability to pose as McFarlane was ALSO known for at the time. I do love that bass guitar though and the figure has stood up particularly well given how old it is.

Cons: As noted, I didn't get the rest of the group of this particular wave given that I feel McFarlane kind of cheaped out with this “tour set”. And even though I like the Bass that was included, if this was truly the TOUR EDITION, he really should have his ax shaped bass.