ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion
Go Back   ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion > Action Figure Discussion > International Action Figure News

Old 12-29-2021, 01:00 PM   #1
Super_Megatron
Instagram: colin_tfcon
G.I. Joe Retro Cardback Walmart Exclusive Line Seemingly Confirmed To Be A 6-Inch Lin

It’s not too long ago that we discovered a shipping invoice containing a new Retro Line listing for the brand we know and love. Today, HISSTANK investigations unearthed the actual Walmart Listing confirming several speculations we’ve had since the discovery of the two figures – Baroness and Lady Jaye. According to the listing, the figures are not the 3.75 Modern Era or the O-Ring line; but a brand new*6-Inch Classified Series line. Priced at $22.99, the figures are priced the same as G.I. Joe Classified Series. The product itself weighs the same as a Classified Series figure at*0.44 lbs » Continue Reading.

The post G.I. Joe Retro Cardback Walmart Exclusive Line Seemingly Confirmed To Be A 6-Inch Line appeared first on HissTank.com.

More...
Old 12-29-2021, 04:34 PM   #2
canprime
Master of the Universe
canprime's Ebay Auctions
Re: G.I. Joe Retro Cardback Walmart Exclusive Line Seemingly Confirmed To Be A 6-Inch

So Hasbro is completing the "retro" cardback idea for another 6" line.

Star Wars, Marvel Legends, Transformers (technically w/Headmasters) and now GI Joe. I guess the big thing now is whether or not they are simple reissues on the retro cardback, or will there be some updates/changes to the figures?

At least now people who wanted a Baroness, but didn't want to pay the extra cost to get a COIL bike as well, now can get her alone.

Now, where are the pics?
canprime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2021, 05:11 PM   #3
Arishikage
Cylon Centurion
Re: G.I. Joe Retro Cardback Walmart Exclusive Line Seemingly Confirmed To Be A 6-Inch

I'm hoping it's full ARAH/retro style, but it might be more like the Black Series Credit Collection depending on how much they want to make changes for repaints.

I'll buy a few if I can find them when they come out or preorder somewhere else, but only those I really like. Not much room on the shelves or in the wallet for too many of these. Gotta stock up on BATs while they're around anyhow!

I agree, let's see some pics soon!
Arishikage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2021, 05:34 PM   #4
canprime
Master of the Universe
canprime's Ebay Auctions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arishikage View Post
I'm hoping it's full ARAH/retro style, but it might be more like the Black Series Credit Collection depending on how much they want to make changes for repaints.

I'll buy a few if I can find them when they come out or preorder somewhere else, but only those I really like. Not much room on the shelves or in the wallet for too many of these. Gotta stock up on BATs while they're around anyhow!

I agree, let's see some pics soon!

Hasbro is just so weird that way

BS is mostly repaints/straight rerelease on vintage cardbacks.

Yet with ML they go from straight reissue, all the way up to almost completely new figures (Hercules) on retro cardbacks.

So who knows what they will do with Joe, but we will see soon. No later than Toyfair for sure.
Old 12-29-2021, 06:20 PM   #5
ghostlurk29
Mutant

Maybe they'll take inspiration from Super7 and give us a a shirt and pants redeco for Lady Jaye and a blue redeco for Baroness.
ghostlurk29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2021, 06:27 PM   #6
canprime
Master of the Universe
canprime's Ebay Auctions

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostlurk29 View Post
Maybe they'll take inspiration from Super7 and give us a a shirt and pants redeco for Lady Jaye and a blue redeco for Baroness.
I could see it, but I feel they will play it safe to start. So most likely straight reissues.

One thing I really want is a Gung-ho in his cartoon colours.
Old 12-29-2021, 06:38 PM   #7
Zeroflamez
Master of the Universe

I really don't understand the appeal of 6 inch figures on 3.75 style card backs.
Zeroflamez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2021, 11:21 PM   #8
Robimus
Super Moderator

My preference is the current packaging. Easier to repack.

Visit the official TFcon Toronto Website for all the details!
Robimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2021, 06:18 AM   #9
canprime
Master of the Universe
canprime's Ebay Auctions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeroflamez View Post
I really don't understand the appeal of 6 inch figures on 3.75 style card backs.

Super nostalgia!!!!

Nostalgia is obviously the biggest factor for this kind of product.

However there are some collectors who like the art/packaging. Super7's ReAction line is an example of this collector. A significant portion of collectors, of that line, seem to keep them on card for display.

Personally I like the retro cardbacks from the different lines. Especially ML where they call back to different eras of toys with their different retro cards.

So while I like the idea with Classified, I lean more towards Robimus' take. I like the Classified boxes for ease of opening/repacking. Also they have some of the best art of any current retail line.

However I'll probably still cave and get at least some of the retro carded figures.
Old 12-30-2021, 06:43 AM   #10
Zeroflamez
Master of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by canprime View Post
Super nostalgia!!!!

Nostalgia is obviously the biggest factor for this kind of product.

However there are some collectors who like the art/packaging. Super7's ReAction line is an example of this collector. A significant portion of collectors, of that line, seem to keep them on card for display.

Personally I like the retro cardbacks from the different lines. Especially ML where they call back to different eras of toys with their different retro cards.

So while I like the idea with Classified, I lean more towards Robimus' take. I like the Classified boxes for ease of opening/repacking. Also they have some of the best art of any current retail line.

However I'll probably still cave and get at least some of the retro carded figures.
I get the nostalgia thing but is it really nostalgia considering 6 inch Joe's never existed back in day? so slapping them on a vintage card trying to bank on nostalgia doesn't make much sense to me. But hey, I guess I'm not the audience this stuff is geared towards. I never really cared for packaging. Never did. Though I will say I do prefer the collector friendly boxes now days to the card backs like Robimus said. Simply cause it's easier to store and resell if needed. Though at the same time, the boxes take up more room than loose figures so I'm kind of torn lol.
Zeroflamez is offline   Reply With Quote