ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion
Go Back   ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion > Action Figure Discussion > Action Figure General Discussion

Old 01-20-2022, 08:15 PM   #1231
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys
Re: I open a toy & post it here... VOL 2!

754-2
Jazwares- Fortnite Legendary Series: Valkyrie

Is this the first Jazwares Fornite female figure that I?ve opened? Seems odd considering there are equal Male to Female skins and collectors have proven time and time again that we will buy female toys. I suppose there is an extra cost to sculpt and entirely new mold, but it?s 2021; get with the times. In any case, Valkyrie was an Amazon exclusive and did not come to Canada until well after I found out that Amazon US ships to Canada. I?ll never understand, nor appreciate exclusives of unique figures that are NOT simple re-paints or re-tools. As of now McFarlane Toys seems to have found a nice balance with this, but Hasbro is getting increasingly bad with this giving me PTSD flashbacks during the late 90?s when KB Toys and Target were getting all those amazing Star Wars Exclusives.

Pros: Valkyrie has a wonderfully detailed sculpt with lots of detail throughout, has a good assortment of weapons and accessories, great articulation (maybe too much) and a set of wings for a backpack.

Cons: It?s standard that Jazwares provide three different emotion faces for their figures, but unfortunately with Valkyrie they all look the same and they don?t really stay on very well given all her hair and crown.

Team Jetfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 04:47 PM   #1232
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

755-2
Hasbro- FOX Studios: Wolverine

I?m a big fan on Hugh Jackman and absolutely love his Wolverine performance throughout the FOX X-Men movies; or at least I thought I was a big fan given that I didn?t realize until right this very second that the Wolverine that this figure, as well as the other one with a while tank top, is based on my 2nd least favorite X-Men film: X-Men Origins Wolverine. I don?t suppose it matters much given that he really doesn?t change throughout the movies and the figures still look cool, however it just kind of feels like you are going to the prom with the most popular girl in school, but just as friends. Like it?s cool and all, but this was not what you had hoped for when you signed up for it.

Two questions for Hasbro if I had the chance:
Q1. Why this version of the character?
Q2. Can we get more X-Men movie characters?

And my two assumed answers to said questions

A1: Hasbro had the licence to produce toys for Origins and using this mold they could easily provide a figure that would satisfy fans while not costing an arm and a leg to produce.
A2: The original movie figure licence was held by Toybiz and was never re-negotiated when it was integrated with Marvel Studios. As such all the likeness rights would need to be re-negotiated with the various actors and as such wouldn?t be cost effective at this time.

Both answers are completely made up, but kind of make sense given how IP?s are currently handled. In any case, I?m ready for some 2000?s movie figures if they can make it work.

Pros: Despite this Wolverine being based on the 2nd worst X-Men movie, I REALLY love it. Helps that I hold Hugh Jackman and his portrayal of Wolverine in high regard, but the figure is quite exceptional. Fantastic sculpt, two amazing heads, a good amount of usable articulation and some spare fists. Great figure!

Cons: While I would have rather had a figure from the Days of Future film, this iteration is close enough.

Old 01-23-2022, 02:20 PM   #1233
WhenGeeksCollide
Cobra Trooper

MARVEL LEGENDS BINARY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yYihXNiRDJI
WhenGeeksCollide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2022, 08:17 PM   #1234
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

756-2
Hasbro- Star Wars Black Series: Jango Fett

Here?s a hot take: people should hate Jango Fett. He?s a paper thin character whose only purpose is fan service. See, Lucas bombed so hard on the Phantom Menace that he over-corrected with Attack of the Clones and gave the ?fans? something that they wanted for years. You didn?t like the revolutionary fully CGI character that changed filmmaking as we know it? Fine, have a guy that looks like Boba Fett. Oh, better yet, he?ll be Boba Fett?s dad. Oh and even better yet, he will be the basis for ALL THE Clone Troopers that we see for years to come. And just like that, we lapped it up like the predictable idiots we are. He does have a cool helmet though.

One small disclaimer: I really appreciate that the actor of Jango and the face (And I think voice) of literally thousands of other Clone Troopers, Temuera Morrison, gets to have another life as Boba Fett in the Mandalorian series. The clones are such a massive part of the Star Wars universe now and it would not feel right that the ?father? of these characters was not given another crack in the Star Wars universe.

Pros: Black Series Jango Fett is amazing. Sculpt is amazing, blasters with holsters are amazing, Backpack is great, articulation is good and the fact that the Helmet is REMOVABLE and looks normal is a huge win.

Cons: This would have been a huge ask, but I would have loved some flame effects.

Old 01-24-2022, 08:17 PM   #1235
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

Old 01-25-2022, 05:59 PM   #1236
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

757-2
Hasbro- Marvel Legends: Spider-Man

Do I like the MCU?s version of Spider-Man? I mean, yes of course I do, but also? maybe no? Let's just say I don?t love the direction they are going. I should qualify that I love all the actors and the overall design of the characters (with one exception), but I just feel it is WAY too influenced by Iron Man and I think by focusing on that relationship and dynamic, we are missing out on the heart/moral centre of the character of Spider-Man which is Uncle Ben. Sure, I was really sick of the ?great power/great responsibility'' schtick, but that is a central part of Peter?s mythos and should not be overshadowed by a rather shallow mentorship with Tony Stark who was a narcist prick right until the end. Like, was the guy who literally hit on his Aunt, months(?) after his Uncle died really the guy who Peter should emulate as a responsible hero? I dunno; that?s the hot take I?m trying to make. I don?t like how Marvel is making Spider-Man into Ironman 2.0.
The other issue I have is with Michelle, or ?MJ? as is forced into the Homecoming. I should say that I have NO issue whatsoever with Zendaya playing the part of Peter?s girlfriend, or even as the titular character as MJ. I just don?t like how they made her weird and unlikable. She was basically invisible in Homecoming and then somehow, based on no reason whatsoever, Peter is madly in love with her in time for Far From Home? Perhaps in the new movie she will have blossomed into a confident model type that we would expect from the character, but I?m not going to hold my breath.

Pros: Not much of a difference between this and the Spider-Man from the Homecoming Two-pack that I reviewed in #590-2, but this one includes a new head with narrowed eyes.

Cons: As I mentioned in the last review, there needs to be a bit more pomp for a character of this magnitude. I suppose this release came before web effects, but seeing as there isn?t even a BAF piece it feels like a major cop-out. Also, I can not stand these stupid underarm web effects as they never stay in place and only look ok when the arms are in a certain position.

Old 01-26-2022, 07:57 PM   #1237
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

758-2
McFarlane Toys- DC Multiverse: Batman Who Laughs.

The DC animated movies have been a big hit (with me anyways) and I’m wondering how long it will be until we get the Batman Metal storyline. In fact, I’m somewhat shocked that they have not featured BWL in more popular media given that it seems McFarlane has a thing for him. I’m guessing that has more to do with the fact that his creepy vibe and aesthetic suit McFarlane’s style, but I also think he’s fairly popular within the collector community.

Pros: Batman Who Laughs is an amazing looking character and I feel that McFarlane once again gave us a really detailed, nicely sculpted figure with a good amount of detail through the figure and two Incredible poseable wings that can spread out to show off an impressive wingspan and fold up to not take too much room on the shelf. Really amazing looking figure.

Cons: While I like the character, and appreciate improvements over the initial release, I get frustrated with basically two of the same characters in quick succession when there are so many other figures just begging to be made.

Old 01-27-2022, 04:25 PM   #1238
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

759-2
Hasbro- Transformers Prime: Ultra Magnus

You know what I would like to see? A ?live? action, Bay-Verse style movie set on Cybertron that follows all the Autobots and Decepticons that were left behind when the Arc left in search for Energon reserves. The team could be led by Ultra Magnus and include a few of the other 2nd generation characters that just appeared in the animated cartoon. Now that I think about it, it likely should have happened after the second or third live action movie and could have better linked the overall story together better than the miss mush of stuff that we ended up getting. That said, it probably would have never happened as it would have also removed all the human interaction that the Bay verse movies thrive on.

Pros: I love a functional, pocket sized Transformer and Ultra Magnus certainly fits the bill. Looks great in both modes, has a fun transformation and even comes with a massive hammer. Great figure from a solid line of toys.

Cons: I got nothing, Prime Ultra Magnus is great!

Old 01-27-2022, 04:26 PM   #1239
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

Old 01-28-2022, 09:08 PM   #1240
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

760-2
Hasbro- GhostBusters Plasma Series: Egon Spengler

While I wasn’t much a fan of him when I was younger (given that I was never really the “brainy” type) my enjoyment of the Egon character grew over time. Part of that has to do with my appreciation of the late Harold Ramis, but also because I think he’s the most interesting of the Ghostbusters Team. Sure, Venkman is the cool guy, Stantz is the heart and Zeddemore is the everyman, but where does that leave Spengler? Convention says he would be the brain, but they are all doctors (well 3 three of them) so perhaps there is more to Egon that we don’t see, which is why he could be the most interesting.

Perhaps we will learn more in the upcoming Ghostbusters movie that will have come out at the time of this writing, so we'll just have to wait and see.

Pros: As with the others, Egon has a detailed, unique sculpt, a good amount of articulation for some decent poses, an excellent proton pack and wand plus a PK meter to search for ghosts!

Cons: Nothing, these Ghostbusters figures continue to impress.