ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion
Go Back   ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion > Action Figure Discussion > Action Figure General Discussion

Old 09-16-2020, 11:13 AM   #681
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys
Re: I open a toy & post it here... VOL 2!

416-2
Diamond Select Collectables. Avatar- The Last Airbender: Ang

Well this is fun. Admittedly I was a bit late to the party, but I have been a huge Avatar fan ever since my brother introduced me to the series all those years ago, so when Diamond first introduced these figures last year I knew they were going to be in my collection as soon as I saw them at my local comic book shop. The only downside is that I’m not the biggest fan of Diamond Select figures as I find their figures to be fragile and have lacklustre articulation. I also have concerns as to the longevity of this line and hope that we get a good portion of The Last Airbender figures, but also some Legend of Korra figures too.

Pros: Overall Ang has a really nice sculpt based on his appearance from Season 3, which incidentally is my favorite, a good amount of articulation, his trusty winged lemur Momo and a detailed wind effect that is held in place with an elaborate stand.

Cons: Unfortunately my first Ang suffered from a stuck ankle joint that prevented any movement, even after multiple heat treatments, so I had to get a replacement. Also the articulation for a “martial arts” type figure is really basic. Sure there are some poses that can be made, but this is Ang, the freaking Avatar. Where are the double jointed elbows and knees? Ab crunch? Or even butterfly shoulders? Also the lack of accessories in favor of the huge wind effect is really disappointing. I actually made my own glider staff just to give him something to hold, but I feel that at this price point, a bit more should have been included. One other minor thing is his face sculpt. Yes it looks like Ang, but he looks so unsure of himself; why not a more confident Ang? Lastly, and this is more of a comment on Diamond Select, the packaging is ridiculous. I understand they are consistent across all lines, but as Ang and his accessories only take up 10% of the space, the rest is both extravagant and wasteful.

Team Jetfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 10:23 AM   #682
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

417-2
Jazwares- Fortnite: Jonesy

Known to my son and his friends (who play Fortnite) as No Skin, Jonesy is as much as a GI Joe analog to the Joe team leader Duke, as Havoc is to Firefly, and truth be told, I think I Jonesy better! Time will tell if he holds up to the new Joe Classified 6” series, but given how great these Jazwares Fortnite figures are, I’m thinking he has some pretty stiff competition.

Pros: Jonesy has a fantastic, detailed look with sculpted bandana/dog tags, multiple expression face plates and a bunch of great accessories including a basic looking pick axe, backpack, machine gun, a med pack and the most interesting plunger/bomb that I have ever seen. Lastly, as with other Fortnite figures, he has an impressive amount of articulation that allows for a great range of poses.

Cons: As my Fortnite collection grows, I am starting to notice some re-painted and re-used parts between the various figures. I initially was getting annoyed, but was agreeable given that it was pretty standard for the industry, however I have now completely come around to it as it looks as though all the character Models reuse parts too! I will also share my other slight issue with these figures: the hand articulation is overkill and actually makes holding accessories more difficult.

Old 09-18-2020, 10:59 AM   #683
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

418-2
Hasbro- Marvel Studios- The First 10 Years: Ant Man and Yellowjacket.

I think this is my last of the Series 1, Marvel Studios- The First 10 Years 2 packs and it’s almost like I saved the best for last, or one half of this set anyways. Not to say that the Ant Man figure included is not good, it’s just that Yellow Jacket is really an AMAZING figure; which incidentally kind of pisses me off about these two packs. Yes it is cool that new MCU fans had a way in to pick up their favorite movie characters, but for long time collectors, they have to buy a figure that they probably already have (in this case Ant Man) in order to pick up a cool, unreleased figure (like Yellow Jacket). Of course the solution would be to include extras for the duplicate figures, such as a head sculpt, but I’m not sure that is enough to make the extra cost worth it. Thankfully it looks as though Series 2 has a bit more variety to the releases and I look forward to opening a lot of those great figures too.

Pros: Even though it is a repaint of a previous figure, Ant Man does have a nice sculpt with a lot of detail, great articulation and a unmasked head sculpt with a decent likeness to Paul Rudd. Yellowjacket is the real winner of this set and possibly the entire first series. An amazing detailed sculpt that is right out of the movie, is fully articulated and has a really great back arm attachment with a lot of moving parts just like out of the movie.

Cons: Outside of the re-packed figure, I’m really disappointed that Hasbro included the little micro figures, but did not include the little Ant figure that Ant Man was sculpted to ride. Like, he’s sculpted to sit down? What are people supposed to do with a mini sitting Ant Man? Weak Hasbro, real weak.

Old 09-18-2020, 10:59 AM   #684
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

Old 09-21-2020, 10:14 AM   #685
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

419-2
Playmates- Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Classics: Bebop

Of Shredder's two mutated henchmen, I have always liked Bebop over his Rhino partner Rocksteady. I’m not sure why, as neither of them had much in the way of characterization, but I think I just like his overall look better. Maybe it’s because he has a cool “80’s punk rock” aesthetic complete with cool shades and a mohawk; what kid wouldn’t like that better than a soldier/rhino in a tank top?

Pros: As with Rocksteady, Bebop has a fantastic sculpt that was featured in the classic cartoon from the 90’s, has a good amount of articulation allowing for a number of poses and comes with his classic screw-gun and a stand.

Cons: I’m honestly not sure why, but his plastic seams to be breaking down causing a coating of dust all over the figure. It comes off really easily, but makes me worried for long term care of this figure. Also, while his weapon does match his classic gun, it really makes no sense whatsoever.

Old 09-22-2020, 11:07 AM   #686
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

420-2
Hasbro- Transformers Titans Return: Twintwist.

I can’t say for sure, as I did not pick up the whole series, but I think Twintwist and Topspin were unique in that they had no prior affiliation to the Head Masters or the Target Masters making their inclusion to this new Head Master line somewhat unique. That said, as a G1 Twintwist owner from back in the day, I had no issue with this amazing update. My only regret was not picking up his brother Topspin, but as he was my brother's G1 toy, it just didn’t feel necessary.

Pros: I absolutely love this updated version of Twintwist, who was a personal childhood favorite. He has a great design in both modes that are a fantastic homage to his G1 release, a fun transformation and of course an added amount of play value with the little Head Master fella that can act as the driver.

Cons: A minor nitpick is that his knees in robot mode are annoying to pose.

Old 09-22-2020, 11:07 AM   #687
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

Old 09-23-2020, 10:07 AM   #688
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

421-2
Mattel- Hot Wheels: NCC 1701 USS Enterprise

Although not the biggest Hot Wheel fan, I am very appreciative that they release a good amount of pop culture vehicles from my favorite series and often for only a buck or two; what a bargain. Typically speaking I will check the Hot Wheel aisle once in a while and grab a new Batmobile or a Star Ship If I come across it. To be honest, I really feel for those Hot Wheels collectors as I could not imagine trying to track down like a 100 new vehicles for every new series. No wonder I always see them at store openings on the weekend...Also, how do they keep track of them all? I have a hard enough time with Marvel Legends and Black Series figures.

Pros: This is a great little Enterprise for any Star Trek fans desk or office space, or even a fun little space ship for kids. Overall has a nice amount of detail for the side and even comes with a display stand; all for $1.50!

Cons: While I am a fan of the Kelvin universe, I will coincide that this version of the Enterprise may be to everyone’s liking.

Old 09-24-2020, 12:59 PM   #689
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

019-R
Playmates- Laura Croft: Tomb Raider- Laura croft in Tomb Raider Gear
Approx release date: 2001
Current price and availability: $11.99
https://www.ebay.com/itm/2001-Lara-C...0AAOSwTQFdASRV

2001 was a big year for me: I married my high school sweet heat (still married), My first child was born (he just turned 18 and graduated high School) and apparently thought that Tomb Raider, starting Angiline Jolie was going to produce some amazing toys that will be well worth spending much needed diaper money on. Boy oh boy did that ever pay off hey? I suppose the movie did well enough to warrant a sequel ( that I never saw) and the source material was strong enough to try for a reboot (that I never saw) as well as multiple other games (that I have never played). Jeez why did I buy these figures again?

Pros: I’ll have to give credit to Playmates here as there is no lack of accessories included with Laura. Every figure has a veritable arsonal that would make Sarah Conner jealous. The likeness is also a decent match to Jolie (albeit a bit cartoonish) and it comes with a movie specific stand and working holsters that are always a plus in my book.

Cons: The articulation is really terrible even by 2001 standards and it just seems as though they threw the figure together with little thought of backstory or theme. Yes, it is nice that there are lots of accessories, except ALL the figures for the most part have these same accessories. Also, aside from a training robot and a stone statue guy, all the toys released were just Laura Croft; were there no other characters to choose from? I mean, I can’t recall anyone as I have only seen the movie once, but I assume so right?

Old 09-25-2020, 02:23 PM   #690
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

422-2
Disney Toy Box- Marvel: The Wasp.

I really wonder what is next for both the Wasp and Ant-Man. I mean, Scott, or Ant Man, played a MAJOR role throughout Endgame and the Wasp held her own in the final battle, so you would think that Disney might have a plan for them. Overall I do like their solo movies as they are a bit more light hearted and enjoyable to watch. Unfortunately I don’t really know too much about them outside of their involvement with the Avengers and the MCU, so I don’t know who they may battle, but given that the MCU has never failed me yet, I’m sure there is something they could pull out.

Pros: I really love the sculpt and design of Wasp and like that they included her wings. A good amount of usable articulation allowing for multiple poses. Also a nice figure in her own right, Wasp is a perfect partner to the Ant Man figure that was released at the same time.

Cons: While I understand that these Toy Box figures are typically light on accessories, I don’t really consider wings, an integral part of her costume, as an addition and would have liked either some energy effects or maybe a stand to pose her flying.