ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion
Go Back   ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion > Action Figure Discussion > Hasbro Toy Discussion

Old 04-26-2022, 08:11 PM   #5261
philtastic
Master of the Universe
Re: Marvel Legends discussion

I'm happy to see an MCU wave that's 100% movie characters. Both the No Way Home and Dr. Strange waves had comic book characters that totally don't fit. After all, I first got into Marvel Legends purely for the MCU figures.
philtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2022, 01:23 PM   #5262
wedge1021
Mutant

Quote:
Originally Posted by philtastic View Post
I'm happy to see an MCU wave that's 100% movie characters. Both the No Way Home and Dr. Strange waves had comic book characters that totally don't fit. After all, I first got into Marvel Legends purely for the MCU figures.
I hope they do more waves like this. I'm the opposite of you, prefer the comic figures.
wedge1021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2022, 03:34 PM   #5263
Eko123
Body without Organs

Quote:
Originally Posted by wedge1021 View Post
I hope they do more waves like this. I'm the opposite of you, prefer the comic figures.
I'm the same as you. For those of us who prefer the comic-based figures, having waves made up of only live-action movie/TV show figures saves us a little bit of money in the long run, especially with the continual increase in price for Marvel Legends.
Eko123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2022, 03:36 PM   #5264
philtastic
Master of the Universe

I feel the same way about all-comics waves, as I usually avoid them. Was doing a really good job at it, too, but then those retro Spider-Man waves came out, and for some stupid reason I decided to get all the X-Men (at least the ones that looked most like the 90s cartoon).

But, still, I have way too many comic figures that mean absolutely nothing to me, just for the damned BAF piece. Can't believe I keep falling for that scam…
Old 04-27-2022, 09:25 PM   #5265
BlackBeltJohnson
Galactian Herald

Any one got any intel on the Classic WM exclusive Dr Strange? I'm sooo close to going to ebay, but trying to hold out on that, lol.
BlackBeltJohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2022, 12:53 AM   #5266
MorphGrid
Cobra Trooper

Is anyone still waiting on their preorders for Retro Spider-Man? I got mine from toysnowman fwiw.
MorphGrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2022, 04:41 AM   #5267
canprime
Master of the Universe
canprime's Ebay Auctions

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBeltJohnson View Post
Any one got any intel on the Classic WM exclusive Dr Strange? I'm sooo close to going to ebay, but trying to hold out on that, lol.

It's so hard to say. Walmart Canada really is a s#$+ show with their own exclusives. It would be so much better if they actually did work with their US parent company on releasing exclusives day & date. I mean it is so frustrating to see these Walmart "con" exclusives in the US, and up here......nothing, except the wait and see if they bother to get it in stock.

Or will it never show?

I guess the only thing to look at is recent exclusives, and Walmart Canada's track record is actually pretty good for ML exclusives in recent years. It isn't perfect, but it is pretty good:

Dr. Strange/Ulik - wait and see
Compound Hulk - yes
Spiderman (upgraded suit) - no?
John Walker Cap - yes
Venomized Cap - yes
Cable (Deadpool movie) - yes
Grey suit Black Widow - yes
Binary Captain Marvel - yes (TRU?)
Worthy Cap - yes (TRU)
Thanos - yes
Black Panther (Vibranium) - no?

That is all I could find going back to 2018, so the last 4 years. If we don't count Dr. Strange and Ulik (yet), that is 10 releases, of which 8 were definitely available here either at Walmart, or elsewhere.

So the chances are better than 50/50 that Dr. Strange will show up, but it may take a bit of time. Then, of course, on the flip side, there is a chance we won't see him at all.

I guess, like with most cases, it comes down to how badly you want the figure, how much you are willing to spend, and will you really care if you over pay now and it releases later at retail.
canprime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2022, 04:44 AM   #5268
philtastic
Master of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by canprime View Post
It's so hard to say. Walmart Canada really is a s#$+ show with their own exclusives. It would be so much better if they actually did work with their US parent company on releasing exclusives day & date. I mean it is so frustrating to see these Walmart "con" exclusives in the US, and up here......nothing, except the wait and see if they bother to get it in stock.

Or will it never show?

I guess the only thing to look at is recent exclusives, and Walmart Canada's track record is actually pretty good for ML exclusives in recent years. It isn't perfect, but it is pretty good:

Dr. Strange/Ulik - wait and see
Compound Hulk - yes
Spiderman (upgraded suit) - no?
John Walker Cap - yes
Venomized Cap - yes
Cable (Deadpool movie) - yes
Grey suit Black Widow - yes
Binary Captain Marvel - yes (TRU?)
Worthy Cap - yes (TRU)
Thanos - yes
Black Panther (Vibranium) - no?

That is all I could find going back to 2018, so the last 4 years. If we don't count Dr. Strange and Ulik (yet), that is 10 releases, of which 8 were definitely available here either at Walmart, or elsewhere.

So the chances are better than 50/50 that Dr. Strange will show up, but it may take a bit of time. Then, of course, on the flip side, there is a chance we won't see him at all.

I guess, like with most cases, it comes down to how badly you want the figure, how much you are willing to spend, and will you really care if you over pay now and it releases later at retail.
Ulik is coming to GameStop according to recent rumours.

Walmart exclusive Upgraded Suit Spider-Man made it to WM stores in extremely limited quantities. I managed to grab one.

Binary was a GameStop exclusive in Canada.
Old 04-28-2022, 06:30 AM   #5269
canprime
Master of the Universe
canprime's Ebay Auctions

Quote:
Originally Posted by philtastic View Post
Ulik is coming to GameStop according to recent rumours.

Walmart exclusive Upgraded Suit Spider-Man made it to WM stores in extremely limited quantities. I managed to grab one.

Binary was a GameStop exclusive in Canada.

The Binary I mentioned is the movie version, not the recent comic one, so I don't think that was at Gamestop.

So there you go, a 90% release rate over the last 4 years. That leans towards a high likelihood of Dr. Strange getting some kind of release up here. The question becomes when, where and how many? Since he is really popular, and the sequel is coming up soon, I hope Walmart Canada gets on it, and gets him stocked. Since TRU got the Defender Strange, the Walmart one is the only other one, currently known, available.

So hop to it Walmart Canada.
canprime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2022, 06:46 AM   #5270
philtastic
Master of the Universe

Oh, and Ulik is already up for pre-order at DJC, eCollectibles, and possibly other retailers. So it looks like it's a fan channel release in Canada.

We've also seen exclusives in other Hasbro lines shift from their "regular" release to online retailers. Particularly with Amazon screwing up so badly. The Walmart exclusive Black Series animated Clone Wars figures went straight to fan channel, and never even got to Walmart.

Other exclusives seem to have expirations attached, as Walmart's Black Series Bad Batch figures all went to fan channel after sitting on shelves at WM, and the recent TRU exclusive Arvala 7 "muddy" Mando was at Toy Snowman several weeks before hitting TRU.

So it looks like the big retailers might be losing their grip on exclusives. Or perhaps it's due to supply chain issues, and the big stores have other things to worry about, or their systems possibly auto-cancelling orders that are too late.

Either way, we seem to be in a relatively good place, at the moment.