ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion
Go Back   ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion > Action Figure Discussion > Action Figure General Discussion

Old 04-08-2009, 06:55 PM   #1
Croaker
Super Friend
New Star Trek Figs found at retail

I stopped in TRU (in Toronto) on my way home from work and I found the new Star Trek figures on the pegs.

The reason I didn't buy any (other than 3 new Universe TFs, DCUC - including all 4 two-packs, and my arms were full) is because the 3 3/4 figures don't come with the bridge accessories that they are supposed to.

THe 3 3/4 inch figs were $9.99 and the larger ones (6 inch?) were $14.99.
They appeared to have most of the different characters and the package was in English and French (I don't remember if it had spanish).

Now the interesting thing is the small figs come in a blister pack that tapers towards the top, meaning that there is tons of empty space in the bottom of the plastic - where the bridge accessories are supposed to go. ANd one tiny figure up top. THey come with a small accessory, like the tricorders on straps, and they also have a base in the shape of the Enterprise logo (just the triangular part - like the old playmates ones).

Now I don't know if they realized that the bridge playset they were planning to offer - just a big mat until you get all the figs with the pieces - was a bad idea, and pulled it until they make a real one or for some reason the bridge pieces were left out of the international packaging. The TRU that I was at didn't have any other roleplay, vehicle or playsets for sale.

There's no mention of the bridge pieces on the packaging, just the other accesories and the insignia shaped stand.

Also the likenesses are pretty poor.

But it is a sighting 9 days before the 'street date'.

It a shame because I wanted the bridge and the 3 3/4 inch figs - but I'll wait and see if they pulled teh bridge pieces from all of them or just Canada (and then order online from the US).
Croaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 07:38 PM   #2
Robimus
Super Moderator
Re: New Star Trek Figs found at retail

Are these figures for the new film? Or another retro set of some kind?

Visit the official TFcon Toronto Website for all the details!
Robimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 08:03 PM   #3
StarwarsTF
Bounty hunter!

These are based off the new movie and includes and "old aged Spock" figure. The whole series is POOR quality including the electronic weapons offered. Once again Playmates needs to stop making toys!
StarwarsTF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 11:28 PM   #4
Croaker
Super Friend

Yes, these are the ones from the new film. The release date of the toys is supposed to be the 19th of April.
Croaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 09:25 AM   #5
FlightWeaponAlpha
Cobra Trooper
Send a message via Skype™ to FlightWeaponAlpha

Heya,

Which TRU in Toronto? Can I get an intersection?

I wasn't keen on the likenesses from the publicity photos, and the figures on the Playmates site don't look so hot, but I'll be damned if I don't start customizing these into the characters I wanted to see for this movie.

I find it hard to believe that they don't have the accessories, but I guess I'll wait to see what my on-line source says before I freak out too much.

Thanks for the info and the sighting news!!

Cheers.
FlightWeaponAlpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 12:41 PM   #6
pud333
Master of the Universe

Yeah, these don't look too good. I think Playmates is also doing the Terminator figures also. Those don't look much better either.
pud333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 11:15 AM   #7
mrluthor
Red Shirt

I saw the 3 3/4" New Trek figures at ToysRUs in Windsor Ont, on Thursday. I did't buy them since I thought $9.99 was to much to pay. The paint on the figures looked like a 5 year old painted them. Unfortunatly it looks like Canada will not get the playsets or the 12" figures. I hope the movie is better than the toys I seen so far. I collected Star trek figures when Playmates first made them back in the 90's. I never liked the Art asylum/Diamond figures since I did not like their quality and miss matching colours and all the rare exclusives.
mrluthor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 02:49 PM   #8
canprime
Master of the Universe
canprime's Ebay Auctions

Saw the 6" and 3 3/4" at a couple of TRUs and Walmarts today.

The TRUs also had the Enterprise, Transporter room and Bridge. However at $40-$50 each, I'll be waiting for the inevitable sale.

Also, yes the 3 3/4" figures don't come with the bridge accessories like they were supposed to, so they won't be getting my money on them.
canprime is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 08:59 AM   #9
vlad1138

I spotted the whole line here in Rochester NY @ Walmart this morning, and yes the 3.75 figure do have the transporter pieces. The Tranporter playset set has not been seen yet though. The figs are going for $6.79 and $8.59 here for the 3.75 and 6 in respectively.
vlad1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 09:17 AM   #10
Spectre01
Red Shirt

I saw the 6" figures at Wal Mart in Mississauga for $12.99 last night.
Spectre01 is offline   Reply With Quote