ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion
Go Back   ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion > Action Figure Discussion > Hasbro Toy Discussion

Old 09-15-2021, 12:49 AM   #4211
Zeroflamez
Master of the Universe
Re: Marvel Legends discussion

Man as much as i want that hob goblin the more i look at him the more i don't like it.. That ab crunch REALLY stands out. The hood looks too small for his head too. Idk. I think im just gonna wait and see if he gets a price reduction later on and just PO Symbiote Spidey since he's gonna be hard to get
Zeroflamez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 10:42 AM   #4212
wedge1021
Mutant

I'm curious, what are the reasons that people are excited for the retro Hobgoblin? Is it because of the style of the figure, or because the Space Venom wave one is expensive/hard-to-find? Personally, I think the previous release looks better - same with Shocker. Though these retro card versions have typically had a more 90s cartoon feel to them, which I can totally dig as well.

Also, what is the attraction for the various Spidey figures? Is it the buck? I feel like we've had a lot of Symbiote Spidey, Ben Reilly, etc in the past few years. Nice for those who are new to the hobby though, or who missed previous versions.
wedge1021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 11:26 AM   #4213
BlackBeltJohnson
Galactian Herald

Quote:
Originally Posted by wedge1021 View Post
I'm curious, what are the reasons that people are excited for the retro Hobgoblin? Is it because of the style of the figure, or because the Space Venom wave one is expensive/hard-to-find? Personally, I think the previous release looks better - same with Shocker. Though these retro card versions have typically had a more 90s cartoon feel to them, which I can totally dig as well.

Also, what is the attraction for the various Spidey figures? Is it the buck? I feel like we've had a lot of Symbiote Spidey, Ben Reilly, etc in the past few years. Nice for those who are new to the hobby though, or who missed previous versions.
I dislike this Hobgoblin release intensely. I know I'm not the crowd you were asking, but still wanted to chime in.
I'm definitely not dissing anyone who's excited about it, though. For me personally, Hasbro really blew this one. They didn't make the Green Goblin Animation simplified, so there was no need to do it here either. He should have had the body with scale-mail and a more accurate headsculpt, like the old Toybiz version.
BlackBeltJohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 11:53 AM   #4214
Enforcer
Dark Knight

I own the previous Hobgoblin, so this is just nice variety. The hood can be adjusted/fixed, and I don't mind not having scales on this one. I can see how if this is the first Hobgoblin people have a chance to get, it's disappointing.

I also own a multitude of the Symbiote and Ben Reilly Spider-Man original releases - I love the improvement of this body and both new figures look fantastic. So I'm pretty excited for the entire wave.
Enforcer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 12:17 PM   #4215
Zeroflamez
Master of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by wedge1021 View Post

There's excitement cause alot of people missed out on the last release or are new to the hobby. This is the same for Symbiote Spidey. I've seen tons of people online saying they are new and can't get Spiderman cause of aftermarket prices. So Black Spidey is a way to get A Spiderman on their shelf. I can see him being harder to find in the wild than OG Spidey cause of to this. The other reason is people REALLY love this buck cause of its articulation despite all the aesthetic issues it has. Like the pegs on the og sticking out like a sore thumb due to size snd color. As well as shoulders being too low on the body and the head having gap issues with the neck when articulating it. This leads back into black Spidey, cause of the all Black color scheme alot of the issues I mentioned are not as noticeable this time around. So thats another benefit.
Zeroflamez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 01:17 PM   #4216
ghostlurk29
Mutant

https://www.toysrus.ca/en/Hasbro-Mar.../F4C5C9E7.html

Fat Thor available online, $40
ghostlurk29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 01:21 PM   #4217
random11
Convention Exclusive

The new hobgoblin doesnt have the chain mail to ""fit closer with the cartoon look""... but they didnt bother making the face look anything like the cartoon. I think that would have gone a long way.

Ben Reilly looks aesthetically worse than the original. And you dont get spidey-carnage. The tiny eyes and the symbol on his chest being less emphasized really make it look worse to me. Hopefully articulation will make up for it. But I like my original better.

And armoured spidey looks more like the ps4 skin than the cartoon as well. I was really wanting this figure but they made his shoulders super tiny, his neck is huge, his head looks a tad too small, his eyes are black instead of white.... and they didnt add any lining to his suit. His boots are also lacking for me... I would have liked to see a completely covered boot. But at the bare minimum his shoulder pads should have been bigger.

Here is a photoshopped comparison
random11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 01:28 PM   #4218
Enforcer
Dark Knight

It's definitely the PS4 version, not comic or cartoon. I'm a bit disappointed by that as well but happy to see a completely original sculpt in the retro line.

Ben Reilly looks... I mean we're all talking opinions here - but the crouched promotional shot looks like it jumped out of the Dan Jurgens issues of Sensational Spider-Man. The eyes are closer to how it was drawn as well. This may be my most anticipated figure (Ben is a favorite of mine, so bias) and I didn't think that was going to be possible after symbiote Spidey was unveiled.
Enforcer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 01:45 PM   #4219
cli1ck
Articulation Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by random11 View Post
Here is a photoshopped comparison
I also saw an edit that was more in line with what I was expecting
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1631675997301.jpg (83.0 KB, 22 views)
Old 09-15-2021, 01:57 PM   #4220
random11
Convention Exclusive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enforcer View Post
Ben Reilly looks... I mean we're all talking opinions here - but the crouched promotional shot looks like it jumped out of the Dan Jurgens issues of Sensational Spider-Man. The eyes are closer to how it was drawn as well. This may be my most anticipated figure (Ben is a favorite of mine, so bias) and I didn't think that was going to be possible after symbiote Spidey was unveiled.
I am also a huge fan of that suit design. And obviously people will have their own preferences. If you like the new one better Im glad they have given you one that you will like. But for me I prefer the original which I dont mind because I made sure to buy two of it back in the day (one for carnage head). It looks exactly like the poster Ive had since I was 6 years old.

Although Im still buying the new one for the retro card collection.

Last edited by random11; 09-15-2021 at 02:02 PM.
random11 is offline   Reply With Quote