ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion
Go Back   ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion > Action Figure Discussion > Action Figure General Discussion

Old 11-02-2017, 09:59 AM   #101
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys
Re: I open a toy & post it here... VOL 2!

2-032
Hasbro- Marvel Legends: Taskmaster

Once again, my knowledge of some these Marvel Figures Is lacking but Taskmaster certainly has a great look to him, so much so that I had him brought on site based on look alone. As of this writing, the classic version of the character has been announced and in my opinion looks better, but this one has a cool Casey jones type look to him.

He comes with a nice assortment of accessories including a laser sword, shield and alternate heads with both classic or new designs. They are both exceptional, but I prefer the classic look however the colouring doesn't really match the costume. Understanding that they are now releasing a classic version I have to wonder if a gun could have been thrown in instead of the classic head. I also don't love the laser sword and I haven't been able to find any pictures to back up that he uses it in the comics, but again, remedied with the classic version.

Pros: An excellent looking figure with two solid heads, fun articulation and nice accessories.

Cons: Lacking guns and his classic sword.

Team Jetfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 10:21 AM   #102
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

2-033
Hasbro- Marvel Legends: Wolf Cap.

Ok, I’ve technically already reviewed Captain America, but I goofed and gave away his BAF part thinking I was not going to use it. Apparently that was a bad idea as I had to buy another figure, but lemonade from lemons right? At least he has an alternate head! I already praised this figure as the quintessential comic version of Captain America, but I will say it again; it is an impressive figure. The wolf head is also a pretty great feature too.

My only real issue is with figure is that the shield straps don’t stay in place at all. It's a great idea, but surely they could have been pegged in place. I may hit it with some sticky tack or hot glue for display, but just seems like a waste.

Oh, this particular figure had a bit of a QC issue as the pin holding one of the elbow joints was not fully in place. I almost returned it, but was able to force it in place with my teeth (super technical right?)

Pros: Great beefy comic accurate Captain America, nice accessories and wolf head.

Cons: The straps… they do nothing!

Old 11-06-2017, 12:14 PM   #103
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

2-034
Hasbro- Marvel Legends: Red Onslaught.

Ooh, my third completed BAF and while I have literally no attachment to him, he's still very impressive. From what I can gather, Onslaught is some hybrid between Prof X and Magneto which Red Onslaught adding Red Skull to the mix? Comics are the best.

Like the Hulkbuster and Green Goblin before, these huge figure almost make the BAF worth collecting the less than desirable wave mates; I just wish that it would have been for a more personally memorable large character. There is also a bit of a design flaw with his shoulder pads restricting the movement of his arms. Nothing major, but I thought it was funny that an added part like that would make the figure almost worse.

Pros: Weighted figure that looks really impressive in person.

Cons: Typical BAF issues with purchasing figure that aren’t great for the sake of a part on this relatively unknown character.

Old 11-07-2017, 11:52 AM   #104
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

2-035
Disney Elite Series- Star Wars: Rey

Another amazing Disney Store premium elite figure and Rey is another fantastic figure in the line. In truth, I was a bit hesitant to pick her up as I was not sure how her doll aesthetics and features would work on this type of figure, but overall I was really impressed. Again, this is not a Hot Toys level figure, but also does not carry a Hot Toys level price tag.

As with the other figures in the line she's decked out with screen accurate soft goods that fit and flow pretty well. She is also the first that I have opened with realistic hair (or rather doll hair) in her familiar tri-ponytail style. She also comes with a number of familiar accessories including backpack, staff, blaster lightsaber and hands to hold it all. The articulation is decent and allows for a good range of movement, but could benefit from a better neck joint. Another minor thing is that the staff doesn’t have a usable strap, again these are minor things that would make a great figure even better.

This might be a hot take on the toy industry, or more specifically action figures in general, but Rey is prime example of why the industry is completely broken and dying. Not because it’s a poor example of what can be offered, but rather a good example of the direction for where the industry should be going. Think about it; for years there has been and continues to be a division between boys and girls toys with the former being male dominated, war type figures while the later is more defined by fashion and style. Rey and her female linemates, are perfect blend of both worlds; a truly great figure that would appeal to anyone who is a Star Wars fan.

Unfortunately that is not enough for consumers who have been taught from a young age that boys have boy toys and girls have girl toys, This line, that had a fairly equal Male to Female ratio, (4 to 3) just didn’t fit into that paradigm and ultimately failed. I can’t blame Disney either; they are a company tasked with making profits and not changing the minds of consumers. As someone who is onboard with seeing more female representation in action figures, it’s nice to see lines like DC Superhero Girls and the Star Wars Destiny figures on the shelves. The are still very much “doll” type figures, but a step in the right direction. That said, perhaps the line died because the scale was weird and Disney couldn’t simply charge enough money to cover the cost.

[/rant]

Pros: Nice sculpt, good articulation and usable accessories all for an amazing price.

Cons: Some limited articulation issues and like the other figures in this now dead line of figures and has an odd scale.

Old 11-07-2017, 01:08 PM   #105
turtle power eh
Jedi Knight

Does your Cap have gummy elbow joints? Ive been messing around with mine lately while building my diorama and I'm living in constant fear that his elbows are going to fail. I may have to buy the retro version as a back up and hope that the colours are close enough so that the extra hands included with this release can mesh with the new figure (and hopefully use the same peg size).

This would be the perfect Cap figure if the arms could raise just a bit higher without rubbing at the shoulder or resorting to twisting the joint in the opposite direction.
turtle power eh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 10:57 AM   #106
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle power eh View Post
Does your Cap have gummy elbow joints? Ive been messing around with mine lately while building my diorama and I'm living in constant fear that his elbows are going to fail. I may have to buy the retro version as a back up and hope that the colours are close enough so that the extra hands included with this release can mesh with the new figure (and hopefully use the same peg size).

This would be the perfect Cap figure if the arms could raise just a bit higher without rubbing at the shoulder or resorting to twisting the joint in the opposite direction.
Yeah, both mine are very gummy and were a touch bent out of the package and really the only downside to the figure. I think the retro version is a bit darker, but other wise should be identical. You may also be able to find the onslaught Cap at London Drugs if you have any in your area as that is where I got my second one.
Old 11-08-2017, 10:57 AM   #107
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

2-036
Mattel- DC Multiverse: The Dark Knight Returns Armored Batman

Not since the Batman V. Superman figures have I disliked a figure this much. It sucks you guys, like real bad. Mattel should be absolutely embarrassed with their “efforts” and it is another example of how they are squandering the DC Licence.

The articulation is circa 2003 Mattel, but somehow even worse due to the armour. The accessory is a gun of some sort (to fight Superman) that doesn’t even manage to fit correctly in his hands. One good thing that I’ll say is Mattel deserves some props for releasing figures based on TDKR and this figure looks alright, but that's about it; This isn’t mother’s day and it’s not the thought that counts on this one. They have the ability, but they just need to try harder, especially if you are charging $30 a figure.

Pros: Looks like the his comic counterpart.

Cons: Everything else.

Old 11-08-2017, 11:16 AM   #108
turtle power eh
Jedi Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Jetfire View Post
Yeah, both mine are very gummy and were a touch bent out of the package and really the only downside to the figure. I think the retro version is a bit darker, but other wise should be identical. You may also be able to find the onslaught Cap at London Drugs if you have any in your area as that is where I got my second one.
No London drugs in my area. My cap figure has spent a few nights in the freezer trying to tighten up the elbows, does the trick but its not going to last forever. I was pretty excited for the retro wave but after watching some reviews I'm starting to regret pre ordering some of them...iron man especially, they put the right boots on him but his feet has no ankle pivot and that's some Mattel level BS.
turtle power eh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 03:35 AM   #109
fjjr
Super Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle power eh View Post
No London drugs in my area. My cap figure has spent a few nights in the freezer trying to tighten up the elbows, does the trick but its not going to last forever. I was pretty excited for the retro wave but after watching some reviews I'm starting to regret pre ordering some of them...iron man especially, they put the right boots on him but his feet has no ankle pivot and that's some Mattel level BS.
My Onslaught wave Cap has gummy elbows as well. Seems like this is a problem with some of these ML figures. My Hulkbuster wave Vision and Groot wave Nova figures also have really gummy elbows, Nova especially.
fjjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 03:48 AM   #110
fjjr
Super Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Jetfire View Post
2-036
Mattel- DC Multiverse: The Dark Knight Returns Armored Batman

Not since the Batman V. Superman figures have I disliked a figure this much. It sucks you guys, like real bad. Mattel should be absolutely embarrassed with their “efforts” and it is another example of how they are squandering the DC Licence.

The articulation is circa 2003 Mattel, but somehow even worse due to the armour. The accessory is a gun of some sort (to fight Superman) that doesn’t even manage to fit correctly in his hands. One good thing that I’ll say is Mattel deserves some props for releasing figures based on TDKR and this figure looks alright, but that's about it; This isn’t mother’s day and it’s not the thought that counts on this one. They have the ability, but they just need to try harder, especially if you are charging $30 a figure.

Pros: Looks like the his comic counterpart.

Cons: Everything else.
]
I think you're being a bit tough on this figure. I can see how you might be disappointed with it, but the articulation isn't 2003. It has basically the same scheme as a regular DC Universe Classics/Multiverse figure, except that instead of a swivel above the knee there is a swivel at the shins (which is a bit strange). Granted, some people might be tired of the standard DCUC body by now.
Personally, I like it, but I looked at it as a one-off figure that I wouldn't be integrating in with the rest of my DCUC figures, since it is larger. I expected the articulation to be hindered by the armor and size of the figure.
I have to agree about the gun, though. It is too small and it points off at a weird angle downward when held in the hand. That alone would probably be enough for some people to not buy the figure. The Hasbro ML Fantomex/Protector figures have the same irritating problem.
fjjr is offline   Reply With Quote