ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion
Go Back   ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion > Action Figure Discussion > Action Figure General Discussion

Old 10-03-2017, 11:55 AM   #81
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys
Re: I open a toy & post it here... VOL 2!

Sorry, I'm a day behind.

2-010
Disney Vinylmation- Star Wars Rogue 1: Jyn Erso

Two in a row? Not really, Jyn Erso was the souvenir from our recent July trip to Disney World in Florida. Truth is that I had not actually really opened a new toy in the past 6 months as I was either too busy at work, busy setting up my toy room, or simply just not into it. These Vinylmations count differently as I open them in the moment; something that I have never been able to do with my other figures.

A quick note about the actual trip. Florida in July is… interesting. Very hot, humid and busy with Brazilian Tour Groups (like seriously busy), but overall was a lot of fun. If you ask me what is better between Disneyland in California or DisneyWorld in Florida I'll always say Disneyland; it just more condensed and easier to navigate. DW has a lot of pluses, including awesome water parks, unique attractions not found in Disneyland and the amazing Universal Parks, but I’ll be happy if I don’t go back for a few years.

So, same story with Jyn as to how the choice is made, and for the most part i’m pleased as I like the character. I would have prefered K2SO, but such is life with the blind box. There is a bit of an added bonus in that Jyn comes with a blaster accessory, something that many other Vinylmations don’t include. I will re-iterate that it was even more evident that the Vinylmation well was drying up as it was much more difficult finding this one so I really hope that they keep it alive, even in some small way.

Pros: Nice overall look and includes an blaster accessory.

Cons: None.

Team Jetfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 05:17 PM   #82
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

2-011
Disney- Star Wars: K2SO

I think I’m a bit of a sucker for Droids; or perhaps just K2SO, because I never intended to buy another Disney 6” diecast figure from their Star Wars line and I totally caved. I previously reviewed Captain Phasma and the First Order Storm Trooper and found that while they were extremely ambitious, the finished product was not worth the cost. Sure, they have some heft to them, but it comes at the expense of the poseability, which makes the figure pointless; it a figure is too heavy to hold a pose, what is the point of giving it articulation?

I will say that where a human character fails, a droid character flourishes and it really makes me wish I picked up some of the other droids. It should seems obvious, but the Die Cast construction lends itself to the droid design and gives some further realism while not hindering articulation because the character that is being emulated is in fact metal.

However, this is far from a perfect figure as the posability is still hindered due to the weight and can easily fall over, but at least it looks good in a static pose. I will also say that I got this guy on a blowout sale for $8, a much better price than the $33 MRSP and worth every penny in my opinion. Even if you were just picking up a figure for your desk you can’t go wrong for that price.

Pros: Great likeness with good articulated joints and an unbeatable value if purchase on sale.

Cons: Weight limits the ability to hold a pose without falling over.

Old 10-05-2017, 08:17 AM   #83
turtle power eh
Jedi Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Jetfire View Post
Thanks and I am glad that you are enjoying them. The Hulkbuster is certainly impressive and even more so that I was able to get most of the figures from Winners for $10. In my opinion BAFs really work well when it is for over-sized figures like Hulkbuster or Thanos, but a bit of a waste for smaller ones like Mantis.

I've also recently come around on the lesser known figures being included; i just wish the figures like Blizzard would have some type of accessory included.

The swapping is a whole other issue entirely. Hasbro could easily fix the issue with a sealed box, but not sure that is going to happen anytime soon. I suppose you could also blame the high cost of these for the increased theft. $30 is a bit rich for and with the classic versions retailing now for $35, people will start doing dumb stuff. I love my toys, but there is no way that they are worth $35.
Are they even worth $30? Probably not, but we keep eating them up. Check out canucktibles for the retro legends...they have them at $29.99
turtle power eh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 10:51 AM   #84
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

2-012
Diamond Select Toys- Minimates: Star Trek: Enterprise and Captain Kirk

And now something a bit different. It’s hard to believe this far in and I haven't featured anything from Star Trek. Granted I'm a bit late to the party as I was never a big fan opting for the much cooler (in my mind) Star Wars. That quickly changed when I saw JJ Abrams’ Star Trek movie and it lead me to a literal world of amazing sci-fi content. Since then I have watched all TNG & Voyager seasons multiple times, and still working on DS9. Not sure if I'll ever make it through TOS or Enterprise, but maybe someday. This review is a bit timely with Star Trek Discovery on the horizon as well as the announcement that new trek toys are being released by Mcfarlane toys; set my phaser to excited!

As with many of my figures there is a bit of a story as to how I was able to pick this set up; I was on vacation in Florida (Same trip as the Jyn Vinylmation) and on a supply run to Target we happened on a ROSS Dress for Less store and had to have a look. As it’s not something we have in Canada there is often things that we can’t get for really cheap. (As a general rule we also love to look at the shoe department to find and try on the massive size 20 shoes that are often on sale. Not sure why, but it always makes me laugh.) We have been in a number of ROSS Dress for Less stores, but I have never seen one this cramped, this busy and this destroyed. Granted it would seem reasonable that store closest to a busy place like Disney World would be equally busy, but it was nearly unbearable. However, imagine my surprise when I found this little $10 gem hiding in the “toy department”; Dimond in the rough indeed. (points for a Disney reference).

It’s a bit odd as the Mini Mates crazy never quite hit Canada, but they are kinda nice, especially when sold together as a figure and a vehicle. Certainly not competition for Lego or Mega Bloks, but would nice to see a few more options. A few years ago I was able to pick up a Picard and Borg 2 pack, but that was about it.

This set includes a poseable TOS Kirk, Chair and a cute little enterprise with a display stand and looks pretty good all together. My only grip is that there are stickers to apply (a pain for these shaky, fat fingers) and that there are no other crew members to join him.

Pros- Everything that a TOS fan would enjoy.

Cons- Need to apply stickers and lack of crew members to join him

Old 10-11-2017, 09:38 AM   #85
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

2-013 Hasbro- Transformers- The Last Knight: Hound.

Quick disclaimer: I have not seen the new Transformers movie yet. I would like to say it’s because I have been so busy that I just can’t find the time, but honestly I think it's Bayverse fatigue; I just don’t really care anymore. Not to say that it’s not enjoyable and others aren’t free to love it, but I just hit my limit. Unfortunately I think this also affects my collecting habits as I have really cooled in as far as Transformers mainline figures go. It’s partly due to the cost increase, but something that was so innovative and cool is now uninspired and boring. And before you give me the “it’s a kids toy, what do you expect” line I would like to present Revenge of the Fallen Leader Optimus Prime. What that movie lacks, the toys makes up for it tenfold. Masterpiece level design with a retail price tag; this was the pinnacle of the toyline ladies and gentleman; I suspect we will never see a figure quite like this at such a price point again.

So on that note; here is an alright action figure of Hound.

I suppose I can blame John Goodman for me picking this figure up because he is one of the biggest reasons why I like this character and in turn felt compelled to pick up the toy despite making that conscious decision to not buy any of the new movie toys. Its should be noted that his AOE version was also a favorite of mine and despite its flaws, remains as one of my favorites. Unfortunately TLK Hound just doesn’t really do it for me. Sure they somewhat represent his size better that the AOE figure, but the arsenal of weapons is pretty generic and the possibility is totally hindered by the fact that he can barely stand; so frustrating!

Hasbro also made the helmet removable which is kinda cool I suppose, but if you had asked me what was more important between a removable helmet or the ability to pose with out falling over, the later will always get picked, always…

Pros: It’s a pleasantly plump Hound.

Cons: Uninspired armory, hindered possibility, will fall over if you look at him funny and all for a inflated price.

Old 10-13-2017, 09:43 AM   #86
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

2-014
Disney Elite Series- Star Wars Rogue One: Death Trooper

Much like the other Elite series before, this figure packs a punch for the price. I have already sung the praises of the now assumed dead line, but will say again that someone as Disney really wanted these to be something special. That said, there are a few flaws that the Death Trooper has, but I think it is due to more form over function as the armor hinders a good portion of the leg articulation. Yes, you can get out some decent poses, but he cannot hold anything without falling. This is not unusual for a 10” figure and easily remedied with a stand, but an issue nevertheless.

Pros: Amazing sculpt and soft goods for a reasonable price.

Cons: Articulation is hindered and can’t hold dynamic poses. At 10” is a bit of an odd scale for some collectors.

Old 10-16-2017, 09:45 AM   #87
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

2-015
Hasbro- Marvel Legends: Cottonmouth

I'm not one of those collectors who prefers Marvel or DC. I recognize that both have great heroes, evil villains and most importantly fun stories! But each also have their share of silly characters and by golly, Cottonmouth must rank up there with one of the silliest. Not that I have an issue with that, just point of fact. However I will say, I'm surprised and disappointed with myself that I didn't pick him up sooner given my love of GI Joe; this guy is basically a 6” Cobra forces character ready for action.

I gather that he is a basic repaint of something much cooler, but I like the body size and the killer head sculpt that they gave him. Unfortunately no other accessories to speak of, but I doubt any would make sense for the character. Perhaps another head sculpt with his jaw wide open, but that's probably asking too much for a filler figure.

Pro: a nice solid figure with an impressive head sculpt

Cons: lesser known filler character with no accessories.

Old 10-18-2017, 02:33 PM   #88
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

Oops, got to resize the pics.
Old 10-18-2017, 10:46 PM   #89
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

2-016
Hasbro- Marvel Legends: Whirlwind.

Much like Cottonmouth, Whirlwind is another character who I know nothing about, but unlike Cottonmouth he could not be mistaken for a 6” G.I. Joe figure, well at least not a figure from the 80’s; I’m sure you could make a case for a 90’s G.I. Joe Extreme Whirlwind figure, but he certainly fits in better as a comic villain.

There is surprisingly a lot to like about this figure, despite his unknown reputation, and I’m happy that I eventually picked him up. First, let's talk fashionable boots. I assume that his legs are shared with the Captain America figure in this wave, but I really like that folded boot look. Call me old fashioned, but it reminds me of old golden age comic heros, not unlike what Jack Kirby probably first intended. Secondly let's talk accessories: two removable sawblades that fit nicely on his wrists and are a perfect addition. Lastly, headwear. I’ll just say it, I love his helmet. Sure it’s not removable and hinders movement, but with the excellently sculpted eyes and mouth it's hard to imagine that there isn’t a full face under there.

Pros: Nice costume details with usable accessories and a great helmet.

Cons: Another unknown character used as a line filler.

Old 10-23-2017, 10:23 AM   #90
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

2-024
Daron- WestJet: Flight Crew.

Whoa, what the heck is this? Have I run out of typical figures and moved on to Barbie style dolls to satisfy my cravings for plastic crack? No, really just an inside joke between me and my friends; notwithstanding, the tradition is to be upheld and as it clearly states I opened a toy, so I must post it here.

The inside joke is because my wife works for WestJet as a Flight Attendant and a buddy of mine thought it would be hilarious to pick this up for my collection as it bears somewhat of a resemblance to her. Joke’s on him though; I think having a doll version of my wife is pretty cool.

I'd even say that they did a decent job in replicating the older uniform, down to the teal scarf, but it is important to note that they have since changed uniforms, so this is somewhat out of date. I also felt it was my duty to check if she was wearing underwear (what can I say, ‘party’ Angela had an impact on me) and I am happy to report that she is dressed appropriately for work.

She also comes with a opening, rolling suitcase that has a retractable handle. Unfortunately her hands can't reach or hold the suitcase, but I suppose that it normal for Barbie type dolls. Her shoes are also removable, but in truth hardly stay on her feet. Understanding that these are sold at the airport, it's unfortunate that the likelihood of a young girl getting this at the airport and keeping her new doll’s footwear in place is minimal at best. Perhaps that's what the opening suitcase of for?

Overall she's a decent figure with a surprisingly accurate outfit and it’s kind of a funny thing to have as part of my collection.

Pros: One time accurate, cloth outfit and looks like my wife.

Cons: Shoes fall off easily and she can’t hold on to her luggage.