ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion
Go Back   ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion > Action Figure Discussion > Hasbro Toy Discussion

Old 02-03-2022, 08:09 PM   #1
philtastic
Master of the Universe
Toys R Us Price Increases

In the hopes of keeping this never-ending argument contained to a single thread, if you have opinions on the recent Toys R Us price increases, please post them here, and not in every single other thread.

Thanks!
philtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2022, 09:43 PM   #2
cloud
Master of the Universe
Re: Toys R Us Price Increases

Not much to say other than Toys R Us won't be getting my business. Don't know what's going on.
cloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2022, 10:10 PM   #3
Mudflap
Clonetrooper

I saw a post on IG where a TRU store had a sign up saying Limit 2 in the Star Wars section. I chuckled because their shelves are usually clogged with the figures no one wants.
Mudflap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2022, 12:36 AM   #4
TheSwipe95
Super Friend

I'm fine with it. Gives me a reason to shop elsewhere, at more reliable retailers such as GameStop. Canadian retailers like ToySnowman and ToyCrusaders. Even across the border with Target. Also saves gas, since I'm not checking for stuff every other day there.
TheSwipe95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2022, 12:46 PM   #5
MapleMegatron
Agent of Shield

There is something off here and no one knows why. It's telling that this discussion is happening under the Hasbro Toy Discussion because this price is increase is mainly with Hasbro products.

Right now, TRU charges the exact same amount as other retailers for:

-Mattel
-Lego
-McFarlane
-Nintendo (toys and games)

to name the few I checked. But of course, since we are collectors and look more at Marvel Legends, Transformers and Star Wars black series, it looks like everything is increasing in price at TRU. But it's just Hasbro.
It being just for one company eliminates the idea that it's simply greed from TRU (because then why not increase everything else) and we know that TRU deals directly with hasbro due to their exclusive contracts. So it's not a third party fee.

Maybe there is another element to a renegotiated contract now that TRU has changed ownership and Hasbro is demanding a premium or to pay upfront since they arent sure in the business surviving. And then TRU is passing that extra cost to the consumer.

It's the only thing I could think of.

Last edited by MapleMegatron; 06-16-2022 at 12:50 PM.
MapleMegatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2022, 01:08 PM   #6
philtastic
Master of the Universe

I wrote about my theory on this very question over at the Cybertron.ca board:

http://www.cybertron.ca/boards/showp...postcount=2782
philtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2022, 01:18 PM   #7
Latefox
Red Shirt

More reason to support McFarlane Toys... Todd cares, sure some things lack.... but the new Warhamemr 40k line, and what customizers are doing, truly makes it the toy collectible for the adult. The amount of plastic is just INSANE....
Latefox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2022, 01:21 PM   #8
canprime
Master of the Universe
canprime's Ebay Auctions

Quote:
Originally Posted by MapleMegatron View Post
There is something off here and no one knows why. It's telling that this discussion is happening under the Hasbro Toy Discussion because this price is increase is mainly with Hasbro products.

Right now, TRU charges the exact same amount as other retailers for:

-Mattel
-Lego
-McFarlane
-Nintendo (toys and games)

to name the few I checked. But of course, since we are collectors and look more at Marvel Legends, Transformers and Star Wars black series, it looks like everything is increasing in price at TRU. But it's just Hasbro.
It being just for one company eliminates the idea that it's simply greed from TRU (because then why not increase everything else) and we know that TRU deals directly with hasbro due to their exclusive contracts. So it's not a third party fee.

Maybe there is another element to a renegotiated contract now that TRU has changed ownership and Hasbro is demanding a premium or to pay upfront since they arent sure in the business surviving. And then TRU is passing that extra cost to the consumer.

It's the only thing I could think of.

There is what philtastic posted on cybertron.ca as he said.

However the problem is still that specifically with Hasbro TRU isn't even close to their competitors, and the small guys that are sponsors here.

TRU is now asking $40+ for newer MLs, deluxe TFs, GI Joe Classified and SW:BS figures. Everyone else (Walmart, ToySnowman, DJC, etc, etc.) is still below $40 for the same product. Yes there are differences here and there, but the most consistent thing is TRU is still the most expensive option for a lot of these lines. There is no way a chain with over 70 locations across the country can't be the same price as the single store online retailers. There are some shenanigans going on here with TRU and Hasbro product. I think philtastic's post is as good an explanation as any.
canprime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2022, 01:42 PM   #9
4lott
Master of the Universe

They’re prices for Mattel product have risen too. I’m not a hot wheels collector but I do pick up character cars and DC and Marvel pop culture cars with character illustrations on them. Walmart sells them for $5.97 while TRU has them for $8.97. In addition basic cars are still $1.49 every including Dollarama while TRU has them for $1.99. Not into wrestling figs or Barbie so I don’t know the increases for them but I believe all MOTU lines are also more expensive
4lott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2022, 01:52 PM   #10
MapleMegatron
Agent of Shield

Quote:
Originally Posted by canprime View Post
There are some shenanigans going on here with TRU and Hasbro product. I think philtastic's post is as good an explanation as any.
The problem is that explanation assumed Everest Distribution is the company distributing Hasbro products in Canada, but I haven't seen any info on that. Instead, I found business to business agreements with Hasbro Canada directly.
MapleMegatron is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hasbro, increase, msrp, prices, toys r us