ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion
Go Back   ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion > Action Figure Discussion > Hasbro Toy Discussion

Old 06-16-2022, 01:55 PM   #11
MapleMegatron
Agent of Shield
Re: Toys R Us Price Increases

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4lott View Post
They?re prices for Mattel product have risen too. I?m not a hot wheels collector but I do pick up character cars and DC and Marvel pop culture cars with character illustrations on them. Walmart sells them for $5.97 while TRU has them for $8.97. In addition basic cars are still $1.49 every including Dollarama while TRU has them for $1.99. Not into wrestling figs or Barbie so I don?t know the increases for them but I believe all MOTU lines are also more expensive

However the latest Mattel line, Lightyear, is priced the same at Tru as at Walmart. It could simply be that for older Mattel lines, the MSRP has risen but Walmart hasn't followed suit yet. They often take a bit longer.
MapleMegatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2022, 02:03 PM   #12
4lott
Master of the Universe

I thought Everest only distributes to smaller stores that can?t make the minimum cost requirements to order from companies like Hasbro
4lott is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2022, 02:05 PM   #13
canprime
Master of the Universe
canprime's Ebay Auctions

Quote:
Originally Posted by MapleMegatron View Post
The problem is that explanation assumed Everest Distribution is the company distributing Hasbro products in Canada, but I haven't seen any info on that. Instead, I found business to business agreements with Hasbro Canada directly.

Then I call SHENANIGOATS!!!!!!!!!!!

Honestly philtastics possible explanation was about the best light that could be shone on TRU pricing, and that is not saying much.

Even with direct to Hasbro agreements, there is still no way they are paying so much that they have to overcharge on the product the way they do. As I said, if you are a nationwide business with over 70 locations, and specialize in the products Hasbro sells, you aren't getting a worse deal than the small independent guys who may or may not deal directly with Hasbro.

Maybe they'll say overhead, inflation, blah blah blah. However I see it as either greed by TRU, or the parent company trying to make back some of the purchase price.
canprime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2022, 02:19 PM   #14
4lott
Master of the Universe

Toys R Us has 81 stores in Canada. Walmart had 408. Greater buying power allows for better volume discounts on pricing
Old 06-16-2022, 02:28 PM   #15
VincentVega
Cobra Trooper

But wouldn't local comic book stores and mom and pop places be charging the higher prices as well? My local place doesn't charge $42.99 for Legends. Surely Toys R Us is able to secure a better deal than Mark at the comic store?
VincentVega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2022, 03:18 PM   #16
4lott
Master of the Universe

Maybe they just lower their profit margin for their customers to keep them. More important for an independent small business. That’s what the guys at my LCS always do. As long as they’re making a modest profit off an action figure they’re happy and I’m happy
Old 06-16-2022, 03:41 PM   #17
Wintermute
Master of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by philtastic View Post
I wrote about my theory on this very question over at the Cybertron.ca board:

http://www.cybertron.ca/boards/showp...postcount=2782
You make some very good points!
Wintermute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2022, 03:50 PM   #18
sixshot1981
Master of the Universe

Let's also note TRU is charging $1-$2 more for LEGO. So pricing isn't at par there either.
sixshot1981 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2022, 07:08 PM   #19
MapleMegatron
Agent of Shield

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4lott View Post
I thought Everest only distributes to smaller stores that can?t make the minimum cost requirements to order from companies like Hasbro

Yes, and they distribute toys from snaller companies, hence why that isn't the explanation either.
Old 06-16-2022, 07:11 PM   #20
MapleMegatron
Agent of Shield

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixshot1981 View Post
Let's also note TRU is charging $1-$2 more for LEGO. So pricing isn't at par there either.
This isn't a rule, all the sets I checked were the exact same price between them and the lego store. We shouldn't confuse some companies like Walmart and Anazon selling at slightly under MSRP if the discussion is that TRU sells over MSRP.

Tags
hasbro, increase, msrp, prices, toys r us