ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion
Go Back   ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion > Action Figure Discussion > Action Figure General Discussion

Old 01-28-2011, 05:33 AM   #21
pud333
Master of the Universe
Re: Macross Toy Reviews

Bandai's VF100's 1/100 scale VF-25 Messiah Valkyries. In clockwise order: Alto, Ozma Lee and Michael.

These are valkyries from the Macross Frontier TV show. They're in the smaller 1/100 scale, and they are parts formers. Fair warning: when I say parts former, I don't mean you swap out a few bits and pieces. Unlike the Hi-Metal line, these parts formers completely embrace the concept of it, meaning nearly every single piece is swapped out. The point of this was to eliminate any unsightly hinges and to keep it as anime accurate as possible.

0.jpg0.1.jpg

These are basically repaints of each other, but there are some original parts, like the head sculpts:

1.1.jpg1.2.jpg1.3.jpg

Like I said. Parts former. There is only one solid main piece, and the rest you have to basically disassemble completely. If you're looking for a transforming toy, you will be sorely disappointed. It's like putting together a model, then taking it apart and putting it back together, and doing it all over again.

4.jpg

Gerwalk mode: Easily the weakest of the modes, but then, maybe it's because I don't particularly care for the gerwalk mode of any valk in general.

5.jpg6.jpg

Fighter mode: Like the Battroid mode, this mode is very anime accurate. I think these are the best looking valk designs since the original VF-1s. Michael's valkyrie comes with an extra set of spare wings, which have the speakers attached to them. This is so you can replicate the scene in the show where Ranka sings for the Zentradi soldiers and her voice is amplified through the speaker system.

7.jpg8.jpg9.jpg10.jpg11.jpg12.jpg

13.jpg14.jpg15.jpg16.jpg17.jpg18.jpg

Michael has a different gun also, his sniper gun, which comes in little pieces. The regular Messiah guns also come in two versions (non-transformed and transformed). This seems a bit silly to me, since I feel they could have easily thrown in a transforming gun, but then, it wouldn't be a full on parts former. There are some QC issues, like the gun on the right, where you can see it is warped.

19.jpg20.jpg

Pros: Very anime accurate, looks great. Despite the fragile nature, it is quite posable and while it doesn't have the pick up and play feel of a regular toy, you can still sort of play with it. If that makes any sense. Honestly, these should just sit on your shelf as they will be doing on mine. These also look awesome with the Konig Monster, which is reviewed right after this.

Cons: It's a pain in the ass to transform, and it is fragile. I dropped one from one foot up, and it landed on the landing gear and broke one of the wheels. Lots of pieces. I mean... lots. What kills me about this is everything is in place to have a near perfect transformation valk. Bandai just didn't want to do it, but if they had, I shudder to think what price they would have charged.

Honestly, I cannot recommend this unless 1) you're desperate for an anime accurate Messiah, 2) you can find this for $20 or less. Originally these things sold for well over $50 each, which is outrageous for basically a frail model. I got mine for 65% off from the HLJ sale, and you can find these now on Ebay for around the $20 price.

Last edited by pud333; 01-28-2011 at 05:13 PM.
pud333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 05:53 AM   #22
pud333
Master of the Universe

Bandai's DX Chogokin Robot Damashii VB-6 Konig Monster.

This is, flat out, an amazing toy. Amazing. It's mostly plastic, but there is a healthy amount of diecast, mostly in the joints, so when you lift it, you can feel the heft.

20.2.jpg

Fighter mode: The toy comes with some stickers you can put on the sides. I opted for the Sheryl stickers to replicate the movie look of the Monster. Also, it comes with a stand to use in all three modes with different extensions depending on which mode you chose to display it in.

27.jpg28.jpg29.jpg30.jpg

Monster mode: This is the iconic mode from the show. It is wicked. It looks angry and ferocious and just plain mean. There is a back hatch which, in the anime, comes down and braces against the ground or wall so when the Monster shoots from its large cannons, it doesn't get blown back. However, as you can see, the toy version doesn't quite work out. The back hatch barely touches the ground.

21.jpg22.jpg23.jpg

Battroid mode: I don't recall ever seeing this mode in the show. It is easily the weakest mode, and I probably won't ever be displaying it like this. You can have the guns propped straight up, but I prefer them to be bent forward.

24.jpg25.jpg26.jpg

This is what it's all about:

As you can see the scale works. I believe the Robot Damashii line is a non scale line, however, I recall someone on Macrossworld saying it wasn't quite 1/100, but close enough.

32.jpg33.jpg

In flight:

34.jpg

Final thoughts: I love this toy. Pros: Everything is tight, every joint clicks and falls perfectly into place. It's heavy, it feels like it is worth every penny.

Cons: The back hatch not touching the ground fully... and... I'm just nitpicking. This thing is perfect. When Bandai does something wrong (1/60 VF-25) they really get it wrong, but when they do something right (Monster), they knock it out of the park.

I honestly haven't put this thing down since I got it a few days ago. It originally retailed for close to $200 Cdn, but you can find it at Amiami for 29% off, at about $135. There are two versions for sale, this one, and the special Sheryl version, but that one comes with a larger stand for an extra $45, which is not worth it. get the regular version. Just buy it. You'll be happier for it.
Old 01-28-2011, 08:03 AM   #23
aznpnoy
Convention Exclusive

**drools** that is HUGE! thanks for the review.
aznpnoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 05:14 PM   #24
pud333
Master of the Universe

Yeah, she's pretty big. She can stand up taller too in Monster mode, but I like the crouching position. Built rock solid as well.
Old 01-30-2011, 01:52 PM   #25
racerguy76
Agent of Shield

Man, I have have a raging nerdon for that monster!

Fighter mode is soo badass. Battroid mode is phenomenal, love the back hatch detail. I'm sure the super heavy Moster sinks into the ground a bit when walking about. I'm sure it touches the ground then.

Last edited by racerguy76; 10-20-2011 at 08:21 PM.
racerguy76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 11:47 PM   #26
pud333
Master of the Universe

Bandai's 1/100 scale Hi-Metal VF-1S Roy Focker. This is from the Macross film Do You Remember Love?

This is a great toy. Like the VF-1J, this is made out of quality plastic and has some diecast (feet, swing bar) but it comes with strike parts. It also comes with extra sets of hands, stand parts, landing gear, extra set of wings for the missiles it comes with, and a removable heat shield.

2.jpgP1060026.jpg

This is a parts former, but unlike the Messiahs, this is mostly a perfect transformation. You just have to swap out the wings, heat shield, landing gear and hands.

Fighter mode:

Fighter mode looks great, both with and without strike parts. It isn't as tight as the Yamato 1/60's, but it's still pretty cool.

3.jpg4.jpg5.jpg
6.jpg7.jpg

Some comparison pics with the 1/60 Yamato, which I still consider as the definitive Valkyrie. As you can see, it's very close in design and look to the 1/60. The articulation is very comparable too. The detail isn't quite as perfect as the 1/60. For example, there are no extra stickers or decals to make it exactly like the anime. Also, the skull logo on the heat shield is too high, but I'm just nitpicking here.

8.jpg9.jpg10.jpg
11.jpg12.jpg13.jpg14.jpg

Close up of the head sculpt and cockpit (Hi-metal on left, Yamato 1/60 on the right). The Hi-Metal's pilot is not removable, and the canopy doesn't open; more like comes off since you need to replace it with the heat shield for transformation. Overall, the Yamato looks more sleek to me, but the Hi-Metal still looks fantastic.

15.jpg16.jpg
17.jpg18.jpg

Final thoughts: Overall, just a great little toy. It still has the problem that the VF-1J had with regards to the feet, where it seems loose and over-articulated. However, if you can't afford the 1/60's, then this is your next best choice. It's sold out or on backorder at most online stores, but you can pick this up at amiami for 26% off, which comes in around $56. It's expensive for the size, but it is awesome. Highly recommended if you don't mind a bit of parts swapping.

Last edited by pud333; 02-07-2011 at 11:56 PM.
Old 02-08-2011, 11:56 PM   #27
pud333
Master of the Universe

Quick look at some Flight Pose stands I picked up. These are pretty expensive, at about $12.99 - $14.99 each, but they're really nice if you have a few pieces that you want to display prominently. They come in three different stand sizes: 2.5", 4" and 6". They are sturdy, with rubber stoppers at the end of each stand that helps hold up your toy. You can get them at Flightpose. Considering their high price, just make sure whatever you put on these is worth more than the stands. Cause, it would be kind of silly to have the stand worth more than the toy you put on it. Just sayin'.

Last edited by pud333; 02-09-2011 at 12:00 AM.
Old 10-15-2011, 11:01 PM   #28
pud333
Master of the Universe

Been months since I've done a Macross review, so Ima just gonna continue on and pretend I've been consistant:

First up is the 1/5000 scale SDF-1 (Super Dimensional Fortress). This is the movie version from the film, Do You Remember Love? Made by the company Wave. It's a small figure, about 9-10 inches tall. But the detail is incredible. As you'd expect from a toy like this, there isn't a ton of articulation for what is basically a giant space fortress. There are joints in the arms, shoulders, legs, and the famous cannons can be tilted forward.

The toy is transformable. It's a perfect transformation, and the cruiser mode looks just as nice as the fortress. The figure also comes with a stand that can be used in both modes. There's a replacement attachment that allows for displaying in either mode.

Some size comparisons.

Overall, it's a really nice collector's piece. It doesn't have the integrity of a "toy," as it seems a bit fragile, which is a bummer, considering the approximate $150 price tag on such a detailed figure. Still, it's a very nice version of the SDF-1, especially for those who don't want to pay $400 for the 1/3000 scale version.

Last edited by pud333; 10-15-2011 at 11:03 PM.
Old 10-15-2011, 11:17 PM   #29
pud333
Master of the Universe
Yamato's 1/60 VF-1J Hikaru Custom with GBP armour.

Next up is Yamato's 1/60 scale VF-1J Hikaru custom. The VF-1J toy is the same mold as the VF-1S and VF-1A (see previous reviews), except the head sculpt is different, and it has the iconic paint scheme that represents Hikaru's valkyrie form the Super Dimensional Fortress TV show. Or, if you prefer, Rick Hunter's valkyrie from Robotech, as we've come to know it in North America.

I'm not going to go into detail about the VF-1J, since the mechanics of it is the exact same as the previous VF-1 valkyries, and you can see the obvious differences in the photos. I think the crisp, bleached white with basic red stripes makes the valk look amazing. (I am a sucker for white robots).

The GBP armour is the same one that Hikaru used during the tv show. You basically assemble it onto the valkyrie in battroid mode. There are little pegs to clip onto various parts, such as the legs, arms, torso, hips, backpack, etc. Like nearly every Yamato release, you get a sticker sheet to customize it as much as you want - or as little, if you are a minimalist. Personally, I like to make it look just like the show, with some extra stickers for added detail.

The armour's main gimmick, are the pod doors that open up to reveal an arsenal of missiles, ready to shoot down any enemies. As you can see, there are missiles facing forward, backwards, etc. Also, the boosters on the backpack are individually articulated. Not much, but they do move.

The armour also comes with extra parts to fill in any gaps in the VF-1J. Due to the nature of the transformation, there are inevitably gaps under the arms and behind the head. All you have to do is clip these in and shazzam! No gaps.

What I really appreciate about the armour, is that it doesn't hinder the already amazing articulation of the VF-1J. This is a huge plus, since previous armour incarnations would basically make your toy a giant brick. The MSRP is about $90 on this figure, but well worth it. This is easily the coolest thing I've bought for Macross since the DX Chogokin Koenig Monster. If you're a fan of the TV series, you owe it to yourself to buy one of these to go with your VF-1J. The VF-1J alone without FAST packs is approximately $110.

Last edited by pud333; 10-15-2011 at 11:23 PM.
Old 10-20-2011, 01:47 PM   #30
pud333
Master of the Universe

SDF-1. Or SUPAH DIMENSIONAL FORTRESSUUUU!

My holy grail. This is the Yamato 1/3000 scale SDF-1 from the Macross film, Do You Remember Love? This is, quite bluntly, a beast.

First off, I always felt that when toys get too big, they start to lose a certain appeal for me. They start to look like giant plastic bricks. The SDF-1 is not one of those toys. Like everything Yamato does for the Macross toy line, this is model detail in toy form. And it is a TOY.

Cruiser mode:

The SDF-1 is nearly 17 inches long from tip to end. It is an impressive piece of engineering and design. The amount of detail is staggering. It comes with a stand that has multiple attachments to display the figure in both cruiser and attack modes.

The platforms (or the ARMDs) actually come off and they are ships in their own right. Though I won't be displaying them as such, since they were hella difficult to attach. It took me a good half hour almost to attach both platforms since I was afraid I was using too much force and would break them. But the truth is, you have to use lots of force. Don't worry, the toy is durable. The first one attached almost immediately, but the second took forever.

This figure is very menacing from certain angles. Very impressive.

The attention to detail is so amazing. As you can see, the detail on the bridge, at the back where you probably won't see often due to how it would be displayed; everything. Yamato really left no stone unturned.

The left leg has a compartment with some added features. There is a viewing window that is clear on one side, so you could imagine seeing Minmay singing there, and then you can flip it over so it is shielded with armour.

You can also pull off the plate, revealing Macross City!

The transformation is pretty simple. I won't go into the details, since there are plenty of Youtube videos showing transformation, but despite the simplicity, it is a lot of fun to transform, due to how sturdy the toy is. To be continued next post...

Tags
1/60 yamato valkyrie