ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion
Go Back   ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion > Action Figure Discussion > Action Figure General Discussion

Old 09-25-2017, 10:21 AM   #71
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys
Re: I open a toy & post it here... VOL 2!

Quote:
Originally Posted by E Mikd View Post
I think this is my favourite piece from Mega Bloks. That and the scuba guy with the flippers.
Agreed, it's better than 90% of the other action figures out there these days.
Team Jetfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 10:21 AM   #72
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

2-007
Hasbro- Marvel Legends: Valkrie

Much like many other filler characters, I know basically nothing about Valkyrie and that is Ok. Google has informed me that she will be making an appearance in the new Thor movie, played by the actress whom I mistook for Rosario Dawson. I’m assuming that the internet was completely accepting of the fact that she was not the spitting image of her comic counterpart and decidedly… not white?

…...BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!

I feel like Marvel needs to do a better job in promoting some of it’s lesser known characters in popular media, much like DC did with Justice League Unlimited and Batman: The Brave and the Bold. That said, I will give kudos to Marvel for actually producing toys of these figures; but if they are expecting collectors to shell out $30 a pop, they would sell much better if people know who or what they were buying. Incidentally I also wish that DC would start producing figures that weren’t Batman, but that is a whole different conversation.

The figure itself is nice and looks accurate to her comic persona. I also appreciate the head sculpt and the long blond braids (personal taste) but as with all sculpted hair, it limits the neck movement. She comes with her trademark (maybe?) sword and a non-sculpted belt that just sort of sits there on her hips that I suppose counts as an accessory. I’m not a huge fan of the hip joints and the non-double jointed elbows on the larger female moulds, but if we are weighing form over function, it doesn’t hinder too much.

Pros: Imposing figure with a great look and sexy practical blond pigtails.

Cons: Articulation hindered by dumb joints and is a lesser known character.

Old 09-27-2017, 05:56 AM   #73
chakhae1
Clonetrooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Jetfire View Post
003-2
Disney Elite Series- Star Wars: Darth Vader

I’m not going to even bury the lead, for the money this is an incredible figure. Much like Kylo, Vader has great detail. multiple layers of soft goods, great articulation all for $45 and much cheaper if you can find him now on clearance at the Disney Store Locations. It has honestly been years since I have seen a figure like this for the price point. If there was a downside I would say that the scale at 10” is a bit awkward for most collectors that are more familiar with the 12” standard size. Will it replace your Hot Toys Vader? Of course not, but for the price, it is a heck of alot of figure for the price. My only hope is that they continue with the line, but I’m not holding my breath as there has been zero information about new releases and I just can’t see them making any money.

Pros: Great likeness, realistic soft goods, good accessories and articulation, good price point.

Cons: 10” size class, limited figures in the series.

Very nice! I think the entire Elite Series line gets the short end of the stick. A lot of them look very nice and now you can buy most of them for $10 at the store or online. Really can't go wrong there!
chakhae1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 11:01 AM   #74
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

Quote:
Originally Posted by chakhae1 View Post
Very nice! I think the entire Elite Series line gets the short end of the stick. A lot of them look very nice and now you can buy most of them for $10 at the store or online. Really can't go wrong there!
Agreed 100%. In a world where Hasbro is charging $40 for a 6" black series figure, this this is amazing. A damn shame that the line is dead.
Old 09-27-2017, 11:01 AM   #75
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

2-008
Hasbro - Marvel Legends: Hulkbuster

As expected the Hulkbuster armour is extremely impressive and, like with the other oversized Legends, is really only possible through the build-a-figure model. I suppose that Hasbro could possibly release larger, one-off figures, but I’m not sure that is terribly cost effective given packaging, extra shipping etc. However as impressive as it is, collecting all the parts is still quite honestly, a gigantic pain in the ass for collectors. Not only does it mean that an entire set of figures, no matter how obscure or terrible they are (looking at you Blizzard), need to be purchased to build said figure, there is also the new added wrinkle that many packages have been intercepted by total a-holes with little regard for any other collector and have either switched the accessory with another BAF part, removed entirely, or in what may be the biggest show of assholery, replaced with a f-ing piece of paper. To top it off, retailers seem to be completely ignorant about it.

Luckily for me, I was able to get a complete set from retail discounter Winners and only paid $10 for each figure; a very good deal in my opinion and honestly closer to the price that these figures are actually worth. I just wish I had the patience to get all my ML that way, but there is never any guarantees what shows up there.

I will say again, the figure is impressive, has a decent range of motion considering his size and scales nicely with all the other figures. I have not opened his buster namesake just yet, so the epic showdown will have to wait for the time being.

I sincerely hope that they continue to offer these larger figures as part of the BAF line given the cool opportunity to feature these larger figures, however there really needs to be a better solution for the theft problem plaguing this line.

Pros: A large, imposing figure with good range of motion for size.

Cons: Standard BAF issues including the need to purchase the whole set garbage and all and

dealing with theft.

Old 09-28-2017, 04:58 PM   #76
Sharkdog
Premium Blend

Always good to see Hulkbusters. How big is this one anyway, compared to a normal ML?
Sharkdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 10:06 AM   #77
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

Hmm, certainly scaled to other other Marvel Legends fairly well, but I didn't take a group picture. It really is a good size for a BAF.
Old 09-29-2017, 10:06 AM   #78
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

2-009
Disney Vinylmation- Marvel: Red Skull

New Vinylmation can only mean one thing: A trip to a Disney Park! In this case it was a semi unplanned trip to Disneyland in California. I call it “semi-unplanned” because the real plan was to have a quick sunshine getaway to Palm Springs, but was cut short due to some unseasonably bad weather in the area. Having nothing to do for the day, we jumped in our rental car and headed west to the Happiest Place on Earth.

For those who don’t know what Vinylmations are, they are basically little vinyl figures, molded into a Mickey Mouse shape, that feature themed artwork and are sold in blind packs at the Disney Parks. They are released in series and each series has a theme. The themes can range from park specific designs, urban artistic designs and licenced characters like Marvel and Star Wars. They were marketed as collectible and tradable given the blind package gimmick, but I never really loved that aspect of it. Over the years I have amassed a small collection as I make it a point to purchase at least one everytime I go a Disney Park, which incidentally is quite a bit. Here’s hoping that I’ll be able to get my favorite souvenir for years to come, but I’m not so sure as it seems as though the popularity of these are fading somewhat and new series is getting more difficult to find.

My kids and I also have a bit of a tradition that we have for every new Vinylmation purchase. Because they are blind boxed, I have one of my kids choose one from the series that I would like. After I purchase it I’ll usually tell them which figure I would be happiest to have (based on all the options as shown on the box) and which I would be disappointed with. They will then open it and give me the good or bad news of which one I received and funny enough it's usually a decent figure. This particular time, the task fell on my Daughter’s shoulders as my son was not with us for the trip and she picked exceptionally well. Red Skull here is what is referred to as a “chaser” figure and is apparently one of the more rare ones. This was pretty cool as I never picked a chaser figure before and it is certainly unique give the fact that is the only villain of this series and basically the Marvel Universe equivalent to Hitler painted on a Mickey Mouse figure.

Pros: A reminder of my fun day at Disney and a rare figure to boot!

Cons: None.

Edit: Sorry for the grainy ass pictures.

Old 09-29-2017, 10:53 AM   #79
turtle power eh
Jedi Knight

The Hulk Buster is a great BAF, and I agree it was a pain to get all the required pieces. Its been nice lately that you have only needed 6 figures to complete some BAFS as apposed to 8.

Its also a shame this BAF didn't come out looking as metallic as the promo shots...and unfortunately for us the UK had a revision wave released with better quality BAF parts.

I really see no end to the switch outs at retail, its been happening every since the Amazing Spider Man 2wave released with the then "new" style collector friendly packaging. Only way it all ends is if Hasbro puts everything in plastic clamshell packaging or something you pretty much have destroy to get the figures out. Sad part is now people are getting stuff from retailers like Walmart via online with BAf pieces missing or figure swaps.

..and we gotta get those D list characters, would be pretty boring if all we got were A list revisions time and time again...Bless Blizzard's little heart LOL.

Keep up the good work, love hearing your thoughts on figures that aren't so new that we over appreciate them at times.
turtle power eh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 11:55 AM   #80
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle power eh View Post
The Hulk Buster is a great BAF, and I agree it was a pain to get all the required pieces. Its been nice lately that you have only needed 6 figures to complete some BAFS as apposed to 8.

Its also a shame this BAF didn't come out looking as metallic as the promo shots...and unfortunately for us the UK had a revision wave released with better quality BAF parts.

I really see no end to the switch outs at retail, its been happening every since the Amazing Spider Man 2wave released with the then "new" style collector friendly packaging. Only way it all ends is if Hasbro puts everything in plastic clamshell packaging or something you pretty much have destroy to get the figures out. Sad part is now people are getting stuff from retailers like Walmart via online with BAf pieces missing or figure swaps.

..and we gotta get those D list characters, would be pretty boring if all we got were A list revisions time and time again...Bless Blizzard's little heart LOL.

Keep up the good work, love hearing your thoughts on figures that aren't so new that we over appreciate them at times.
Thanks and I am glad that you are enjoying them. The Hulkbuster is certainly impressive and even more so that I was able to get most of the figures from Winners for $10. In my opinion BAFs really work well when it is for over-sized figures like Hulkbuster or Thanos, but a bit of a waste for smaller ones like Mantis.

I've also recently come around on the lesser known figures being included; i just wish the figures like Blizzard would have some type of accessory included.

The swapping is a whole other issue entirely. Hasbro could easily fix the issue with a sealed box, but not sure that is going to happen anytime soon. I suppose you could also blame the high cost of these for the increased theft. $30 is a bit rich for and with the classic versions retailing now for $35, people will start doing dumb stuff. I love my toys, but there is no way that they are worth $35.