ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion
Go Back   ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion > Action Figure Discussion > Action Figure General Discussion

Old 09-19-2017, 02:58 PM   #11
KylerGrn
Super Friend
Re: Dark Times Ahead

ease of ordering is resulting in more orders being placed. more orders being placed results in more back room staff. just because you dont see them doesnt mean they dont exist.

"wah wah wah everyone is going to make a decent living"

Who yelled at you when minimum wage was brought up when you worked a part time job, that made you so resentfull that people can make a decent living now?

and if it werent for those mcdonalds employees you wouldnt get your big macs so clearly they deserve the 15$ or make your own burgers and you wont have to pay their raising prices.

every job is just as important as the next.
KylerGrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 09:45 PM   #12
cobralegion
Decepticon

Although I get what you are saying, I guess I look at it different. Here we have had a large part of the work force making lots of cash and its driven up the price of everything already. So raising low paying wages on jobs that might make your milk or cheese burger go up 25 cents doesn't worry me too much. When people are buying $60-80K cars and $500-600K homes. I don't see the big deal if my Star Wars figure goes up to $12-15. Yes I'd rather pay $3.00 like its 1977 again but then minimum wage was $3 then lol.

wanted to add after I did some research. In 1974 Alberta raised its minimum wage from $2.00 to $3.00 by 1977. That's a 50% increase. In 2018 ours goes to $15 from $11.20 which is only a 33% increase. and the years after 1977 were amazing!! Some of the best years for figures.

Last edited by cobralegion; 09-19-2017 at 10:14 PM.
cobralegion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 09:35 AM   #13
KylerGrn
Super Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobralegion View Post
Although I get what you are saying, I guess I look at it different. Here we have had a large part of the work force making lots of cash and its driven up the price of everything already. So raising low paying wages on jobs that might make your milk or cheese burger go up 25 cents doesn't worry me too much. When people are buying $60-80K cars and $500-600K homes. I don't see the big deal if my Star Wars figure goes up to $12-15. Yes I'd rather pay $3.00 like its 1977 again but then minimum wage was $3 then lol.

wanted to add after I did some research. In 1974 Alberta raised its minimum wage from $2.00 to $3.00 by 1977. That's a 50% increase. In 2018 ours goes to $15 from $11.20 which is only a 33% increase. and the years after 1977 were amazing!! Some of the best years for figures.
LOL and your last paragraph
Maybe things will look up for the action figure market!
Old 09-20-2017, 09:37 AM   #14
turtle power eh
Jedi Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by KylerGrn View Post
ease of ordering is resulting in more orders being placed. more orders being placed results in more back room staff. just because you dont see them doesnt mean they dont exist.

"wah wah wah everyone is going to make a decent living"

Who yelled at you when minimum wage was brought up when you worked a part time job, that made you so resentfull that people can make a decent living now?

and if it werent for those mcdonalds employees you wouldnt get your big macs so clearly they deserve the 15$ or make your own burgers and you wont have to pay their raising prices.

every job is just as important as the next.
I don't think you are picking up what I am putting down, here.

I did not once say that I didn't want people to make a decent living. I'm all for a better quality of living actually.

All I said is that while the wages will increase nearly $3 in Ontario at the bottom line it will cause issues in the work place for those who have more seniority/responsibilities/higher ranking job titles and can also effect the entire country financially.

Example: You work at Home Depot, you are a shift manager, you have worked there for 5 years, you started as a cashier making $12/HR and moved up within the company, you currently make $16.50 an hour, minimum wage goes up to $15 tomorrow, you get your pay stub and you are still being paid $16.50 per hour, the guys that you manage are now making almost the same money as you are but have far less responsibilities. You are a key holder, have to deal with extra paper work, entering payroll so your people are paid, attend after hours meetings, make the bank deposits, have to report to a district manager when things go wrong, and so on and so on, plus you engage in all the general work that the staff who report to you does. Do you as the shift manager think that this is fair when you have 3 times the work load/pressure and you are only making a fraction more money than the people you are being paid to manage? Magic 8 Ball says "highly unlikely"...and this is where the problems begin because there is slim to no chance that employers are going to give everyone in the company that extra $3 an hour.

With more money paid out to workers at the bottom line this will naturally cause an increase of cost on ALL goods and services...because without marking up prices companies will not be able to afford to pay their staff which would result in a loss of jobs. Food/beverage, gas, rent, utilities, vehicles, homes, electronics, postal fees, novelty items, services, tuitions etc will all see price hikes. So someone who goes from their current minimum wages to the new $15/Hr will not even notice any improvement in their quality of living because the amount of disposable income they have left over after paying out their essentials will go no further than it does today...meanwhile the middle men of the country who won't see any extra money on their hourly wages (and who are by no means rich) will have less disposable income at the end of the day...which effect sales, lower sales create lower profits and then jobs start disappearing.

This isn't me bitching that minimum wages are going up, or being butt hurt that the guy microwaving my Burger at BK is going to make too much money. This is about economics, plain and simple. Wages will go up and so will the cost of living. So if you are excited about the possibilities of making $15 an hour, that's all fine and good but don't expect your new found wealth to go any farther than it currently does...and expect people you know to possibly lose their jobs if the economy starts a downward spiral as a result of lost jobs. My point is that money needs to be evenly distributed throughout the work force, not just at the bottom, because if its not; problems will eventually arise that will adversely affect the way we all live our lives.

...So, anyone want to talk about toys?
turtle power eh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 09:59 AM   #15
Sharkdog
Premium Blend

It's a shame, though I'm not too surprised. I've been to decently stocked TRU's, but I've also been to plenty shabby not too well stocked TRU's.

I suppose I could see Walmart trying to expand their toy sections if TRU fails at making it through this bankruptcy and goes fully out of business, but I don't know if they'll really care enough. I'll check out the toy section at a Walmart if I'm at one or particularly near one, and usually they feel pretty disappointing.
Sharkdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 10:27 AM   #16
turtle power eh
Jedi Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharkdog View Post
It's a shame, though I'm not too surprised. I've been to decently stocked TRU's, but I've also been to plenty shabby not too well stocked TRU's.

I suppose I could see Walmart trying to expand their toy sections if TRU fails at making it through this bankruptcy and goes fully out of business, but I don't know if they'll really care enough. I'll check out the toy section at a Walmart if I'm at one or particularly near one, and usually they feel pretty disappointing.
Walmart has been surprisingly good to me lately. I've seen the newest entire wave of Black Series, Full Thor waves (including Hela and Ares) and even a lone Bullseye from the Netflix wave. Perhaps Hasbro realized that Wal-Mart were paying their bills and TRU was not and increased their shipment volume accordingly.

I can totally see Wal-Mart increasing their toy stock if TRU falls off the face of the earth. Wal-Mart is all about capitalizing and making more money, and from that stand point I can totally see them trying to be the go to retail store for toys.
Old 09-20-2017, 01:41 PM   #17
cobralegion
Decepticon

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle power eh View Post
Walmart has been surprisingly good to me lately. I've seen the newest entire wave of Black Series, Full Thor waves (including Hela and Ares) and even a lone Bullseye from the Netflix wave. Perhaps Hasbro realized that Wal-Mart were paying their bills and TRU was not and increased their shipment volume accordingly.

I can totally see Wal-Mart increasing their toy stock if TRU falls off the face of the earth. Wal-Mart is all about capitalizing and making more money, and from that stand point I can totally see them trying to be the go to retail store for toys.
I hope they increase their stocks either way. Walmart only ever seems to get one case in at a time. Even on Force Friday they had next to nothing or actually nothing out for stock. It seems that toys are not a big priority to them. When I worked at Zellers we always had our toy shelves jammed full.
cobralegion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 01:46 PM   #18
KylerGrn
Super Friend

Toys R Us is safe right now - they are restructuring and its not looking like they will close - so really no worries?
Old 09-20-2017, 01:47 PM   #19
KylerGrn
Super Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by KylerGrn View Post
http://www.chicagotribune.com/busine...919-story.html

posted 2 hours ago
stores will be fine
Heres the post from yesterday- it was also on the news and im sure many other media sources covered it - safe for now.
Old 09-20-2017, 02:32 PM   #20
turtle power eh
Jedi Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobralegion View Post
I hope they increase their stocks either way. Walmart only ever seems to get one case in at a time. Even on Force Friday they had next to nothing or actually nothing out for stock. It seems that toys are not a big priority to them. When I worked at Zellers we always had our toy shelves jammed full.
Zellers was the bomb!

Sorry if you lost your job with the whole Target thing...my mom worked for the Bay for 30 plus years and was let go during that time due to "restructuring" aka "we only want to employ part time workers because its cheaper"