ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion
Go Back   ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion > Action Figure Discussion > Hasbro Toy Discussion

Old 06-16-2022, 07:17 PM   #21
MapleMegatron
Agent of Shield
Re: Toys R Us Price Increases

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4lott View Post
Toys R Us has 81 stores in Canada. Walmart had 408. Greater buying power allows for better volume discounts on pricing
This comparison doesn't help if you don't know the volume bought per store. The dedicated space for a toyline at TRU is sometimes 10 times the shelf space at Walmart for the same line, as is the case for Marvel Legends. The fact that TRU gets this many exclusives from Hasbro is proof enough of their buying power since they are literally buying all the product destined to Canadian consumers.

Last edited by MapleMegatron; 06-16-2022 at 07:20 PM.
MapleMegatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2022, 08:24 PM   #22
cloud
Master of the Universe

At the end it doesn't matter what reason behind the ToysRUs price hike.
I emailed ToysRUs aboot this issue. Basically, the stores has become a advertise place for Hasbro stuff because there is no reason to make any purchase if each Marvel Legends costs 10 bucks more.
I'll just go to Wal Mart, Game stop, or other local stores.
cloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2022, 08:38 PM   #23
chaingunsofdoom
Master of the Universe

The Legacy TFs going up a few more dollars is just laughable... $45 for a Deluxe and $55 for a Voyager.

Retro SW are $23 and TVC are $25. I will say I was surprised to see BS6 Throne Boba pics from TRU at $46, when GS has them at $50 minus Edge discount. Did they just forget to inflate his price?

As someone said, no reason to buy anything from there anymore and if they have exclusives, wait it out for the 90 days R Club window.
chaingunsofdoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2022, 09:55 PM   #24
sixshot1981
Master of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by MapleMegatron View Post
This isn't a rule, all the sets I checked were the exact same price between them and the lego store. We shouldn't confuse some companies like Walmart and Anazon selling at slightly under MSRP if the discussion is that TRU sells over MSRP.
Didn't say it was a rule...I merely observed this last weekend when looking at sets. All the sets I checked were above, some examples of brand new sets:

https://www.toysrus.ca/en/LEGO-Harry.../7455782A.html

https://www.lego.com/en-ca/product/h...on-class-76396

https://www.toysrus.ca/en/LEGO-Harry.../D4223B0D.html

https://www.lego.com/en-ca/product/h...ce-class-76397

While Buzz Lightyear sets I also looked at were at MSRP.

No confusion on my part I think as I wasn't speaking to either Walmart or Amazon.
sixshot1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2022, 10:06 PM   #25
Hoffman
Agent of Shield

I doubt there is a single reason why Hasbro prices specifically are so high at TRU.

Hasbro definitely has raised their wholesale prices, that's not up for question. But at the same time, TRU maybe made some decisions about what kind of profit margin they expect. Based on what I see on the shelf at Walmart, they actually have very little competition on Hasbro product. This means they don't have to cut into their expected margin to remain competitive. Contrasted with something like LEGO, where there are other options that stock a lot of LEGO, be it Walmart, Indigo, or Mastermind Toys.
Hoffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2022, 01:46 PM   #26
MapleMegatron
Agent of Shield

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoffman View Post
I doubt there is a single reason why Hasbro prices specifically are so high at TRU.

Hasbro definitely has raised their wholesale prices, that's not up for question. But at the same time, TRU maybe made some decisions about what kind of profit margin they expect. Based on what I see on the shelf at Walmart, they actually have very little competition on Hasbro product. This means they don't have to cut into their expected margin to remain competitive. Contrasted with something like LEGO, where there are other options that stock a lot of LEGO, be it Walmart, Indigo, or Mastermind Toys.
Plus Lego is a very accessible product online, either through amazon or with Lego.ca being a reliable source. We don't have a Canadian equivalent as Lego.ca for Hasbro products.

One odd thing though, the TRU price for the MCFarlane Batman the Adventures continues toys are cheaper at TRU than Gamestop and other retailers (*only* $30)
MapleMegatron is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hasbro, increase, msrp, prices, toys r us