ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion
Go Back   ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion > Action Figure Discussion > Action Figure General Discussion

Old 10-02-2018, 12:21 PM   #281
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys
Re: I open a toy & post it here... VOL 2!

144-2
DC Collectibles- TNBA- Killer Croc and Baby Doll

DC Collectibles strikes again with the odd release order of characters. Not saying that I don't appreciate Killer Croc and Baby Doll, but I would have thought that other, more prominent figures would have taken president… like maybe the actual original Batman from the Animated Series? I suppose they get to him eventually, but I'm still a bit pissed that I was never able to get the better known Killer Croc from the original BTAS.

Pros: Croc has a nice imposing size, is well sculpted and has lots of accessories. It's nice that they included Baby Doll as she would likely not have had a single release.

Cons: Crocs leg articulation is limited and the joint is a bit loose on mine. Baby Doll has some articulation for some reason, but actually is more of a hindrance to try and have her stand given such small legs and a massive head. I also find the character to be extremely creepy.

Team Jetfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 12:57 PM   #282
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

145-2
Mcfarlane Toys- The Maxx

Is the Maxx, created by Sam Keith, the best comic character? No. Is the Maxx, who was featured as a self-named monthly comic title on the uber popular Image Comics Brand from the EXTREME 90’s, the best comic? No. Looking back, is there some creepy sexual undertones and slightly convoluted story lines that I probably looked the other way on given that the pictures looks real pretty? Yep. Let’s put it this way, during the 90’s I had comic fever really bad, and for some reason the only cure was The Maxx. Looking back, it's clear that I had a thing for unique comic characters who primary wore purple. Not sure why, but around the same time I was also into Marvel’s Sleepwalker, but I digress, until Hasbro makes a legend figure of him we will just leave that alone.

Anyways, The Maxx here represented a bit of a “Holy Grail” of sorts as I was never able to track him down in the wild. So when sold off some of my other figures I felt that it was time to pull the trigger on one from eBay and honestly I’m glad I did: I really love this figure. It’s certainly not the best toy, but it acts as a bit of a reminder of a time gone by, an new and exciting time, an EXTREME time where a group of really talented, creative people stuck it to the big guys in a way that made massive impact the industry and the fandom alike; something that I don’t think will ever happen again.

Pros: I love the sculpt and the overall look as it captures both his unique design and Sam Keith's unique art style quite nicely. Also like how they included the “out back” headdress and the like black IZE figure.

Cons: The articulation is limited to 5 points (somewhat typical for Mcfarlane at that time) but would have loved at the very lease shoulder ball joints or elbow joints.

Old 10-03-2018, 04:33 PM   #283
Xtreme987
Jedi Knight

^
Kinda looks like he's flippin' the bird there. LoL
Xtreme987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 01:35 PM   #284
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xtreme987 View Post
^
Kinda looks like he's flippin' the bird there. LoL
Given his personality in the comics, I wouldn't doubt it!
Old 10-04-2018, 01:36 PM   #285
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

146-2
Hasbro- G.I. Joe Retaliation: Snake Eyes.

Another Snake Eyes? Well get used to it as Hasbro really put the full court press on all things Snake Eyes, think of him as the proto Bumblebee…(that actually kinda works given that they both don’t talk!)

This particular figure has a lot going for it as he is an updated version of the most iconic Snake Eyes figure to date: Full black ninja suit, cool ass visor and man’s best friend Timber. Forget that unpainted commando version from the first wave (check out the Netflix docu-series “The Toys That Made US” for details, THIS was the reason why kids loved Snake Eyes. That said, there is nothing really that spectacular about this figure. He looks nice, he has cool accessories and Timber can move his head, but I think I have a few other Snake Eyes figures that fit that bill. I suppose some credence can be given to the fact that Hasbro produced a nice solid figure that any collector / fan of the character can appreciate.

Pros: Nice sculpt with good articulation, fun accessories and added animal companion Timber.

Cons: He cannot hold all his accessories which is something that I really can’t stand.

Old 10-04-2018, 05:29 PM   #286
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

Arg, forgot it was Thursday again! Oh well, 2 for today.

004-R
McFarlane Toys- Movie Maniacs: Nightmare on Elm Street- Freddy Krueger
Release Date (approx): 1998
Current Price and availability: $69.99
https://www.ebay.ca/itm/McFarlane-Mo...oAAOSwVWFarjQU

Well kids, buckle up cause this is a bit of weird one. In the 90’s there was a toy boom and thanks to companies like McFarlane Toys, the game had changed from the regular, wholesome figures from the 80’s. Wholesome is relative, considering every popular toy line revolved around some war with at least one weapon accessory, but no one was every really killed in the different series’. Given that McFarlane was already pushing the boundaries with the Spawn line, it seemed reasonable that they would release a blood covered toy line that celebrated some of the biggest names in horror movies to date. And while this may seem completely normal in this day and age, it was crazy at the time, especially considering many of these were being sold at places like Toys R Us and Wal-Mart next to Beast Wars and Star Wars. Infact, I seem to recall a bit of an outcry leading Mcfarlane to release a “Non Bloody” version of each figure, which in the case of the Texas Chainsaw Massacre leads to more questions than answers given that he comes with a seamling clean (that is, not bloody) bucket full of sawed off appendages. I mean after all, random chunks of human parts is fine, but as soon as blood is added everyone loses their mind.

Pros: McFarlane Toys was the exemplar when it came to sculpting and detail and Freddy is a great example of that. Everything from his fedora covered burnt face to his torn wool sweater to his iconic 4 bladed gloves looks really good. Even though I’m not certain of the reference (not a huge horror fan) I do like how they included a mini Freddy as an accessory. This line also acted as a litmus test for the genre in the collectable toy market. Hell NECA would probably not exist if these figures weren't released.

Cons: In typical McFarlane fashion Freddy amounts to little more than a semi-poseable statue. The line also kinda went off the rails quickly and lost its focus on Horror movies (but I'm talk’n bout Shaft!) but I suppose licences would be more difficult to obtain. I also think it's lame that ‘no blood versions’ had to be produced.

Old 10-08-2018, 03:44 PM   #287
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

147-2
Playmates/Spinmaster- Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles- Michelangelo

Not sure if I mentioned it from previous TMNT reviews but I think that Playmates could have done a bit of a better job with this line. I mean, I’m sure it was a hit and toys were sold, but it would have been nice if the individual turtles felt less like repainted versions of each other. I’m not asking for Revoltech details, but something that captures the personalities better than a color change and different set of weapons.

Pros: Overall nice look, ok articulation, good amount of accessoires (with some storage) and an attractive price point.

Cons: A little more personality between turtles would have been nice, plus they ARE ninjas… some actual possibility should have been incorporated over the basic joints.

Old 10-09-2018, 04:23 PM   #288
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

148-2
Disney Infinity 3.0- Star Wars- Luke & Leia

Out of all the Disney Infinity sets I think I would be most interested in seeing what this one is about. My hope is that it would be a basic re-telling of EP4 complete with trench run finale, but I kinda doubt it given that its been done before. And while it’s cool that Disney Infinity 3.0 made a set based on EP4 it makes me sad that we were potential robbed of a EP 5 and 6 game with figures.

Pros: Great looking set with nice sculpts and I’m sure a fun game.

Cons: Part of a cancelled video game.

Old 10-10-2018, 09:53 AM   #289
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

149-2
Bandai- Thundercats- Panthro

As of this review the new Nickelodeon Thundercats Roar series has not been released but I’ve seen the preview and early feelings are mixed. On positive side, it looks lighthearted, fun and has the potential, as evidenced by the intro, to have amazing visuals. On the negative side, it’s silly, self referential and doesn't take the subject material very seriously. I’m also in the camp that is starting to get tired of the silly, goofy series that this is clearly based on. Also, I suppose my point of view is slightly skewed given that I was never much a fan of the original series and only got on the “cat train” after the super well done, but cancelled too quickly series that this figure was based on. By the time I get to my next Thundercat figure there maybe some more info to form a better opinion.

Pros: If you have not seen the entire series you might not have seen the difference between this and the 6” Panthro, but this one features his new mechanical arms that the Bearbrils made for him. They don’t extend or anything, but its a super cool change to the figure. Articulation is good for the figure size and comes with his signature weapons, of which he can all at once.

Cons: Nothing, Panthro met my expectations for a figure of this size class. It's super fun and could see my younger self playing with him all the time.

Old 10-12-2018, 12:58 AM   #290
dinga
Agent of Shield

Track down a Maxx from Shocker Toys. http://www.mwctoys.com/images/review_maxx_19.jpg
dinga is offline   Reply With Quote