ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion
Go Back   ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion > Action Figure Discussion > Hasbro Toy Discussion

Old 04-22-2009, 04:22 AM   #1
Robimus
Super Moderator
AFN Action Figure Review: Joker Squad

Legacy_Exclusive_JokerSquad_pkg.jpg

Welcome to the first part of a three part Action Figure News review of the new Legacy Collection Joker Squad package of figures.

These figures are based upon the characters created by John Ostrander and drawn by Travel Foreman and Jan Duursema.

Based on the characters of Legacy Comic #4 this pack is truly a dream for fans of the comic. Joker Squad, of the 407th Stormtrooper Division are deployed to Borosk, site of the Empire's largest military victory during the war with the Yuuzhan Vong, to fight against their own.

The Empire has been conquered by the Sith lead by Darth Krayt. Joker Squad falls on the Sith side against the forces of the true Emperor Roan Fel. It's stormtrooper vs stormtrooper in this comic, a story that stands alone even within the Legacy series.

Of interest Joker Squad appears further in issues #16 and #17 of Legacy as well.

DARTH MALEVAL
Joker Squad 003.JPGJoker Squad 004.JPGJoker Squad 002.JPGJoker Squad 005.JPG

This Sith Lord has been assigned to the Borosk mission to ensure that the stormtroopers of the Sith Empire remember which side they are on.

This figure is really an excellent homage to the comic art(pictured first). The Quarren Sith Lord boasts 18 points of articulation, Lightsaber and Lightwhip as well as a wire lined robe.

This wire lined robe is really a neat idea as it allows one to pose the cloak in a hundred different ways. It can be closed wrapping Maleval like a cocoon, or sprayed open as if blowing in the wind.

The only minor complaint is that I'd say I find Maleval's skin color slightly lighter than how he appears in the comic. The toy is more orange while the comic art seems to shade toward red.

I love this figure none the less.
A-

SERGEANT HARKAS
Joker Squad 007.JPGJes 001.JPGJes 005.JPGJes 004.JPG

Known to his men as Hardcase, Harkas leads Joker Squad in the assualt on Borosk.

First I want to point out that this figure is a nearly perfect likeness when compared to the comic art. His beard and hair are perfect, as is the off color green lining his arms. (Compare to the comic art, again first in the picture line up.)

He also boasts 18 points of articualtion and comes with a Blaster, Helmet and holster.

I have two complaints with this figure. First because of the accurate sculpt of his hair and beard I find that his helmet doesn't fit quite right.

Also his blaster holster is poorly designed and looks kind of silly when holding the blaster..

Still the positives of this figure well outweigh the negatives and the dead on likeness is worth a lot.

A-

Visit the official TFcon Toronto Website for all the details!

Last edited by Robimus; 04-23-2009 at 12:15 PM.
Robimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 12:13 PM   #2
Robimus
Super Moderator
Re: AFN Action Figure Review: Joker Squad

JES GISTANG
Jes 014.JPGJes 012.JPGJes 017.JPGJes 009.JPG

The first ever female Stormtrooper immortalized in plastic delivers in a lot of ways. She is the heavy weapons operator within Joker Squad.

She is another excellent likeness when put along side the comic art. As well a her big gun she comes with a regular blaster. Strangely she has no holster for it when every other figure in the set does.

Her helmet fits well and she does have a femine look compared to the rest of Joker Squad even with her helmet on. She has the 18 points of articualtion as all the figures do.

The biggest complaint for me is that her "big gun"(technical term from the comic) isn't well thought out and difficult for her to hold onto. It's too heavy and cumbersome for a figure her size. She also only has one hand open to hold weapons, her left hand is kinda useless and can't hold anything.

B

ANSON TRASK(NOOB)
Noob 010.JPGNoob 007.JPGNoob 006.JPGNoob 008.JPG

Anson is the name sake of the comic, the brand new member in Joker Squad. He is also the worst likeness in the set when compared to the comic art.

The toy itself looks like an older man when he should look very young.

Other then that he's a solid figure. Helmet fits well, he has the holster and the same articulation as the other figures.

Anson just makes a better trooper than an unmasked character.

B-

Old 04-23-2009, 01:25 PM   #3
Robimus
Super Moderator
Re: AFN Action Figure Review: Joker Squad

HONDO KARR
Hondo 009.JPGHondo 001.JPGHondo 003.JPGHondo 004.JPG

Hondo Karr is the resident badass of Joker Squad, quiet and mysterious. Some say he is ex-Mandalorian, but no one knows for sure.

This is a cool figure, great likeness with all the articulation of the rest of the set. He holds both his dagger and blaster well.

As well his helmet fits perfectly all the way down to the detail of his hair following out from underneath it.

Just to note that Hondo also appears in Legacy Issues #20 and #21, then with the Alliance Remnant as a pilot in Rogue Squadron. Mandalorian, Stormtrooper and Rogue Pilot.....he's got quite the resume

A-

VOX POTORR
Hondo 012.JPGHondo 005.JPGHondo 008.JPGHondo 007.JPG

Vox is a vetran trooper, good at securing superior weapons for Joker Squad.

Not much to say about Vox. He's a solid figure, great likeness. His helmet fits well due to his bald, round head. He has all the same articualtion as the others.

Nothing bad to say. He's perfect to the comic art and makes a great Stormtrooper. He's just kinda a nothing character, but still a cool figure.

B+

Overall I think this is a great set and a must for collectors of Legacy based action figures. It's cost is a little high in Canada($65 to $70 dollars as opposed to $40 USD) but I'm still pleased with the set despite the price.

A