ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion
Go Back   ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion > Action Figure Discussion > Hasbro Toy Discussion

Old 09-12-2011, 11:41 AM   #1
Scrapper6
Cylon Centurion
A Collection is no fun without Goals

EDIT: DAMN, that should be Without Goals, stupid thread title typos.

And lo, this fan has a certain goal in mind when it comes to Star Wars Action Figures, at least for the time being, I thought I'd share my goals with fellow collectors and see if I'm being a bit too completist for my own good, also I wanted to get some insight into how you view your collection goals.

That being said, allow me to begin the proceedings.

For a time I was content with my original collection goals, back in the late 90's I was an obsessive completionist with a desire to collect every single Star Wars character under the sun, but as time wore on and the ability to create much better articulation in action figures excited and enticed me, the old five-points of articulation figures from Power of the Force 2 no longer excited me or thrilled me as they once had.

The sculpts were nice, but as a collector who enjoys fun and thirlls when it comes to displaying his figures, and wanting to make impressive looking battle scenes once in a blue moon, I just couldn't capture the heart of the Star Wars Saga with the limited engineered toys of the past.

So I sold off most of my figures.

Now, Hasbro has introduced The Vintage Collection to the masses, and we fans can get the characters we want with the poseability needed to make action dynamic displays.

And so, I have a new goal, to pick up as many figures as is possible with similar points of articulation for my Star Wars Saga collection, to that end I have the following Collection Goals:

The Vintage Collection: (All Secondary Terms and Rumored Characters Found at Rebelscum's Checklist.)
Luke Skywalker Bespin Fatigues
Luke Skywalker Dagobah Landing
Luke Skywalker Endor Captive
Luke Skywalker Jabba's Palace
Luke Skywalker Jedi Origin
Luke Skywalker Death Star Escape
Luke Skywalker Hoth
Han Solo Echo Base Outfit (Mostly for the accessories, as I'm still not too thrilled with the look of his lower body/legs on this figure.)
Han Solo Bespin Outfit
Han Solo Trench Coat
Han Solo Yavin Celebration
Leia Bespin Gown
Leia Jabba's Slave (Oh, I hope she's as articulate as can be... I'd love to be able to get her posed like she was on Jabba's Throne for once.)
Leia Tatooine Sandstorm
General Calrissian
Lando Calrissian Tatooine Sandstorm
Dak Ralter
Admiral Ackbar
Logray
Widdle & Oochee
Chuka-Trok
Princess Kneesa
Lumat
R2-D2 with Pop-Up Lightsaber
Wedge Antilles
Mon Cal A-Wing Pilot
General Airen Cracken
Dash Rendar
Mirith Sinn
R5-D4
R2-A5
Endor Rebel Commando x2
Rebel Fleet Trooper x2
Cloud Car Pilot
Cade Skywalker
Dengar
Boba Fett
4-LOM
Zuckuss
Prototype Armor Boba Fett
Weequay Skiff Master
Weequay Hunter x2
Kithaba
8D8
Wooof (Klaatu?)
Grand Moff Tarkin
Gamorrean Guard x2
Death Squad Commander
Imperial TIE Pilot x2
Ponda Baba (Walrsu Man)
Bom Vimdim (Cantina Patron)
Dr. Cornelius Evanzan (Cornelius? Really?)
Guri
Nom Anor
Sandtrooper x2
Stormtrooper x2
Emperor's Guard x2
Impterial TIE Fighter x2
Imperial AT-AT
Y-Wing
B-Wing
Landspeeder
Snowspeeder
Luke's Tauntaun
Anakin Skywalker Jedi Padawan
Anakin Skywalker Peasent Disguise
Obi-Wan Kenobi Jedi Padawan
Obi-Wan Kenobi AotC
Obi-Wan Kenobi RotS
Mace Windu
Kit Fisto
Cin Drallig
Qui-Gon Jinn
Bariss Ofee
Yoda (Who wasn't on the Canadian Release Checklist, did he come out at all, in small numbers perhaps? I swear I saw one at Regent Superstore once.)
Quinlan Vos Mos Espa
Fi-Ek Sirch
Ayala Secura
Bastilla Shan
G8-R3
Ric Olie
Naboo Pilot
Clone Commander Cody
Commander Gree
Jar Jar Binks
ARC Trooper Commander Captain Fordo
Clone Trooper Phase 1 x2
Clone Trooper 212th Battallion x2
Clone Trooper x2
Naboo Royal Guard x2
Sentae Guard x2
Gungan Warrior x2
AT-RT Driver
Clone Trooper 501st x2
Wookie (Rumored Figure, I suppose it'd be like Wookie Warrior or something. Might get two of them if it's a generic representation character for partial troop building, but at this point my Old Republic/Rebellion Troops vastly outnumber the Seperatist/Empire Troops.)
Queen Amidala Post-Senate (Judging by the name I imagine this is that black number she had on in the scene following her Vote of No-Confidence Speech.)
Padme Amidala Peasent Disguise
Darth Maul
Darth Sidious TPM
Darth Sidios RotS
Zam Wesell
Jango Fett
Mawhonic
Aurra Sing
Daultay Dofine
Ben Quadrinaos & Pit Droid
Ratts Tyerelle & Pit Droid
Super Battle Droid x2
Battle Droid x2
MagnaGuard x2
*SIGH* No Prequel Era Vehicles in Vintage Collection Packaging Yet Sadly.

The Thirtieth Anniversary Collection: (Just How Expensive will some of these set me back I wonder?)
Tycho Celchu A-Wing Pilot (Always liked his character in the X-Wing Series)
Anakin Skywalker Jedi Spirit (Something about him just calls out to me.)
CZ-4 CZ Series Droid
Jawa & LIN Droid Tatooine Scavenger
Death Star Trooper x2
Destroyer Droid Droideka x2
Super Battle Droid x2 (Yeah, just need more Droids to beef up the Seperatists, I could just get four of the VC one, but I wouldn't mind getting the coin and accesories that came with this one.)
Clone Trooper Training Fatigues x2
Voolvif Monn Jedi Master
Pax Bonkik Rodian Podracer Mechanic
Mustafar Lava Miner
Mustafar Panning Droid x2
R2-B1 Astromech Droid
Darth Revan Sith Lord
Darth Malak Sith Lord
Tri-Droid x2
2-1B Surgical Droid
Po Nudo
Juno Eclipse
Shadow Guard x2
Imperial EVO Trooper x2
Imperial Jumptrooper x2
Maris Brood
Rahm Kota
Darth Vader Battle Damaged
Clone Trooper Hawkbat Battallion
Clone Trooper 7th Legion Trooper x2
McQuarrie Concept Starkiller Hero Female
McQuarrie Concept Boba Fett
Padme Amidala Naboo Senator

The Legacy Collection:
Spacetrooper A New Hope x2
Spacetrooper EU x2
Dark Trooper Phase 1 x2
Jaina Solo
Jacen Solo
Shaak Tii Felucian Outcast
Ewoks Paploo & Nho'Apakk
K'Kruhk
Willrow Hood

Saga Legends:
Greedo

Yeah trying to keep my collection goals marginally in check, am I getting too many figures? Are there any more high-end poseable figures from The Legacy Collection that could stand in for 'villains' even if they aren't necessarily villains.

I'm only getting the vehicles in Vintage Collection Packaging so I can avoid starting up with buying far too many starships and such. So hopefully they'll continue releasing at least a few like the Falcon in that packaging for me. I can safely assume that tracking down an AT-AT and such will be costly at this venture.

So, how are your collections coming along? And I do hope that Hasbro re-releases in the vC Packaging a decent Chewbacca and 3PO the ESB 3PO is such a sad and sorry excuse for a version of that character that I refuse to buy it, I'm tempted to pick up the 30th version with Salacious Crumb so I can at least have a Crumb that isn't hard to come by. (Curse you SDCC.)

This Collection Goal does not include my Clone Wars goals simply because that toyline is taking a backseat while I focus on catching up with all TVC figures I need from the first three to four waves.

Most of the older stuff I fear will have to be picked up at hobby shops and from fellow fans, so hopefully I won't have to pay over 20$ for any of them, especially the EU stuff and the troop building characters for which I desire two of each. I can always get one Loose Complete rather than both of them MOSC, but I want to get at least one of each MOSC for the thrill of opening up a new Star Wars figure.

Personally I feel that I am being reasonable in my goals for collecting, true there are an aweful lot of Luke's and things on that list, but having one figure from each film with perhaps one of each wardrobe change isn't that big of a deal.

If I had to hope, I'd say I'd like to see TVC characters of Chewbacca, Shmi, Owen & Beru, Bail, The Infant Twins from RotS, Sebulba and Watto to really round out my characters of The Star Wars Saga collection.
Scrapper6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 03:10 PM   #2
pattycakeman
Cylon Centurion
Re: A Collection is no fun with Goals

Haha your title totally threw me off! I was going to call you crazy and rant for a while! But then read your Edit in your post and it all made sense! I really like this idea for a thread.

I agree with you that collecting is a lot more fun with goals. My reasoning is that when you finally complete those goals the feeling is awesome!

It seems to me like you have set yourself some lofty goals! Thats a lot of figures to get.

Personally my goals lately have been a little all over the place.

I just completed a couple of my Goals:

To back fill my MOTUC collection with He-Ro and Zodac, i finally found them for a good price (actually lower than what they sold for on matty). The collection is now completly up to date in my eyes. I'm only missing the original King Grayskull, the Bronze Varient, the TRU versions (not really interested in these, except BA Faker and blue Mer-Man) and color change orko. But it's not killing me not to have those since i have the other versions.

I aquired 3 B.A.Ts, which has long been a goal of mine.. 1 to get the figures since they have always been my favorite and 2 to complete a B.A.T custom project I've been working on.

Now the goals I've been working on have been less about buying figures and more about my display. There are obviously figures i want like the Thundercats classics, Rodimus Prime, SDCC Zarana, The new Joes, New MOTUC. But not trying to back fill anything at the moment.

I have never had a proper display for my action figures... like ever. I had a few shelves in my room in my mom's basement but not enough to display everything i wanted to and the dust geezz. I wasn't able to display anything when I lived with my wife and 2 kids in a 2 bedroom appartment. And now that i own a good sized house with 3 Bedrooms 2 stories and a basement (not finished though) I had hoped to finally be able to get a nice display up. I don't have an office, or spare bedroom but my wife has allowed me to have some room in the bonus room. I am currently using a shelving unit we used to use for the TV so the side cabniets are filled with toys and the shelves and on top are lined with MIB toys. I don't like the cabinets as they are dark and only have glass on the front. And i want to open my MIB toys but dont want to deal with the dust.

So anyways my Goal right now is to get a very nice looking display using a combination of these:

http://www.ikea.com/ca/en/catalog/products/10119206

and these they sell them at costco for $350 every so often.

http://www.allcuriocabinets.com/Pula...94-PU2820.html

I was thinking one those on each side with 3 of the Ikea ones in between on the back wall of our bonus room where my display currently is. I can then finally open some of the pieces I've wanted to (MOTUC, TF Masterpieces), have enough room to display some of my larger figures (looking at you Stay Puft!), not have to worry about dusting my Joes, Marvel and other figures and get some of those cool vintage toys out to enjoy! Get them all out of boxes for once!

Another goal right now would be to finally finish my first custom project, they are just repaints for the most part but I gotta start somewhere! I have been working on them for more than a few months but hard to find time with 3 kids. I also have some more loftier customs in mind and just need to find pieces for them of course at a very cheap cost, hello Value Village!

Finally I have a small goal of organizing my accessories, I havent decided what to do with these. I dont know if i want to combine them all together in small sorting bins or keep them individually bagged per toy so i know what belongs to whom. Any suggestions would be nice!

So those are my goals for the next while. I hope to soon have a display i can be truely proud of!

Last edited by pattycakeman; 09-12-2011 at 03:15 PM.
pattycakeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 03:23 PM   #3
vujonny
Awesomeness Lantern Corps
Re: A Collection is no fun without Goals

I know what you mean!

I try to set goals for myself too.
For example. I'm not gonna go trying to get all the Marvel Universe figures. I try to just get teams or figures i like.
If you don't really have a goal. You end up getting figures just because it's there and taking up space.

Wants: DCUC - Dr.Fate, Azrael, Batman Beyond, Deathstroke, Supermans, Batmans, Mr. Terrific, Peguin, Firestorm, Harley Quin, Eradicator, Ares, Black Adam, Steel, Doomsday, Robin, Jonah Hex,
vujonny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 06:40 PM   #4
CTO15
Avengers Assemble!

generally my guidelines when it comes to collecting:

1) For movie properties, only collect what has appeared on screen
i.e. Transformers, non of the re-paints, or made up characters are in my collecting

2) Never get doubles. Unless a character belongs to more than 1 team (Wolverine is a perfect example)

3) I only buy anything that enhances my current collection. I don't start random lines (otherwise the collection will get out of hand)

4) I try to not get figures right when they are released. The mass hysteria that is involved always drives the prices up. So by waiting I generally find good deals from fellow board members, or ebay sellers looking to unload extra stock.

5) If I want a whole wave, I generally just pick up a character or two at a time. No point in spending all my money at once, when I can just be patient and eventually obtain all the characters I need
Old 09-13-2011, 02:47 AM   #5
Robimus
Super Moderator

When Star Wars relaunched in 1995 I did become a completist for a couple years, at least for POTF. But as the years went I found that too be really difficult.

As early as 1997 we began to get toys that never even got released in Canada(first EU wave, I'm looking at you) and I quickly gave up on that.

Now I have a small list of goals and feel no rush to make them happen. Some of them are not even released yet.

On my list are:

Corran Horn
Whistler
Fi Skirata
I-5
Bastilla Shan
Nom Anor
Teek
Ewok Medicine Woman

One day I'd like to have every EU figure(*minus TCW) ever produced, but I'm in no rush to get there.

Visit the official TFcon Toronto Website for all the details!
Robimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 11:23 AM   #6
Haggis
Kilted Crusader

For star wars, I try to keep a tight ship.
I only collect Jedi, Sith, Mando's. 501st, ten Clone trooper (5 PI, 5 PII,) and recently added bounty hunters to the group of things i'll purchase.

A Man in a Kilt is a Man and a Half
"There is no better High then cracking open a new figure"
Haggis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 02:28 PM   #7
Scrapper6
Cylon Centurion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haggis View Post
For star wars, I try to keep a tight ship.
I only collect Jedi, Sith, Mando's. 501st, ten Clone trooper (5 PI, 5 PII,) and recently added bounty hunters to the group of things i'll purchase.
I find myself discovering that there are an aweful lot of Jedi on my list, and even more off of it. Man, pretty soon it'll just be the Jedi, Sith and Clone toyline with an occassional alien thrown in to remind people there are other planets in the Star Wars Saga.
Old 09-13-2011, 02:38 PM   #8
Haggis
Kilted Crusader

Oh i should note i also restrict myself to one copy of said charator (save generic troopers)
So i pick teh one i like most and use that, if a better verison comes along, i oust the current verison i have, as i don't see the point in having 20 different prequel Kenobis

A Man in a Kilt is a Man and a Half
"There is no better High then cracking open a new figure"
Haggis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 02:54 PM   #9
Scrapper6
Cylon Centurion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haggis View Post
Oh i should note i also restrict myself to one copy of said charator (save generic troopers)
So i pick teh one i like most and use that, if a better verison comes along, i oust the current verison i have, as i don't see the point in having 20 different prequel Kenobis
From everything on my Goals list I can safely say that I will have a grand total of Three-Five at the most of Prequel Era Kenobi.

1 Phantom Menace Padawan
1 AotC Knight
1 RotS Master
1 CW General
1 ANH Old Man Hermit Kenobi (Provided the Vintage Collection gives us another version of this with acceptable poseability to fit in amongst my collection.