ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion
Go Back   ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion > Action Figure Discussion > Hasbro Toy Discussion

Old 12-11-2020, 01:35 AM   #3071
Robimus
Super Moderator
Re: Star Wars Black Series discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksteel View Post
It's funny how nostalgia for Hayden and the prequels has gradually elevated his status with fans, from outright hated to appreciated and accepted..

You know that's gonna happen with the terrible Sequel characters over time as well.. unfortunately.
I kinda have my doubts this will happen. With the Prequels I think people had issues with the delivery, as opposed to the story and characters.

Prequels then spun off into the highly successful Clone Wars series shortly after their run.

So far, all the Sequel Trilogy has done is caused Disney to pause and reset to OT and PT based stuff.

Killing Luke, Han and Leia, not just them but their whole bloodline, hasn’t done them any favours either.

Now I do recall Iger, like less than two years ago, mentioning “Star Wars Fatigue” as a problem.....lol

Guess thats been fixed.

Visit the official TFcon Toronto Website for all the details!

Last edited by Robimus; 12-11-2020 at 02:00 AM.
Robimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2020, 02:02 AM   #3072
Zeroflamez
Master of the Universe

Yeah I agree. Fans won't ever warm up to the sequels like they did to the prequels. The Prequels were more misunderstood than anything by mainly the older fans, which is why these fans have learned to accept it and even like it. The problem with the sequels is that unlike the prequels the story and characters are just down right insufferable. There is no saving grace that would make fans look back on it years from now and say "The sequels weren't so bad after all". As far as I'm concerned, the sequels aren't Star Wars. It's some really bad fan fiction.
Zeroflamez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2020, 02:38 AM   #3073
Ksteel
Mutant

I strongly disagree, and I'll tell you why...

Kids are stupid. A lot of the prequel defenders nowadays were kids/teens who grew up on the prequels and are now nostalgic about them.

The sequels' audience is much, much bigger... so those kids will eventually become nostalgic adults.. longing for Rey, Po, Rose and all the terrible sequel characters to return.

There will be a point in the future where the premium figures of them will be sought after moreso than they ever were in the present.

We're living in a world now where a Black Series Jar Jar figure is actually a hot, sought-after item..

It's also a near guarantee that they'll build ancillary material around the Sequels, just like they did with the Prequels and clone wars. Heck, all these Mando spinoffs may be setting up the sequels for all we know.. unfortunately.

Last edited by Ksteel; 12-11-2020 at 02:41 AM.
Ksteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2020, 03:56 AM   #3074
Robimus
Super Moderator

Most Prequel defenders I know, at this point, are 40 plus.

Kstell could be right(not about kids being stupid though), but about there eventually being nostalgic wants for something ST.

But Lucasfilm just announced like 12 new series/films/animations - and none of them are Sequel Trilogy based.

After Revenge of the Sith Lucasfilm didn’t have to pivot away from their most recent film trilogy, they doubled down on it with The Clone Wars.

Jar Jar, while not popular per se, has often been a sought after figure for years due to the character being under produced. It doesn’t surpruse me at all that the new figure will be popular - but hard to tell before its even released

Visit the official TFcon Toronto Website for all the details!

Last edited by Robimus; 12-11-2020 at 04:02 AM.
Robimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2020, 10:44 AM   #3075
Alexander Quinn
Sarcasti-con

Good points all around, but there is one massive difference on how the trilogies will be remembered. The prequels, for the most part, were crafted for kids. The slapstick humour moments with JarJar, the droid factory antics with R2 and C3PO, the goofy dialogue. They were kids movies that went into darker places (like Younglings slaughter, lol), but still had appeal to an older audience. This is why toy sales in the prequel days were off the charts. Kids loved the movies and the toys. The sequels on the other hand... I don’t even know who those films were ‘made for’. They have some kid centric moments (looking at you, BB8, and every scene you’re in), but the characters are adult centric. They were designed to appeal to an older audience, relying more heavily on patting themselves on the back for diversity, and expectation subverting, and feminism than actual appeal. This gets reflected on how poorly the toys sold and how poorly Resistance was received (and even Galaxy’s Edge to an extent). When kids today are 40 I don’t see them having anything from this current era to think back fondly on.
Alexander Quinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2020, 11:18 AM   #3076
wedge1021
Mutant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robimus View Post
But Lucasfilm just announced like 12 new series/films/animations - and none of them are Sequel Trilogy based.
Well, one is ST based - the Rogue Squadron film.
Of course it's the one I was most excited to see the announcement about until I realized the time period it is set in. That felt like getting kicked in the gut by a horse. My all-time favourite novel & comic series from the EU era, and they're setting it as a follow-up to the ST.

I'm not sure what the Rangers of the New Republic show will be about, but hopefully it'll follow some of those X-wing pilots around from the Mando series. That would be an acceptable consolation.
wedge1021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2020, 01:08 PM   #3077
Ksteel
Mutant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robimus View Post

Give it time.....

Time is the big factor that made fans nostalgic for the prequels and Hayden....and *gasp* Jar Jar.

Within in decade, I'm certain you'll have a generation longing for the return of Rey and friends... sadly.

Star Wars fans, in general, are willing to accept a lot of crap. Hell, even the infamous Holiday Special now has a much more positive notoriety.

So much so that James Gunn is doing is own version of it with the Guardians of the Galaxy next year

Sadly, there's gonna be a lot of fans like this;

For the sequel characters coming back in a couple yrs from now..
Old 12-11-2020, 03:52 PM   #3078
Zeroflamez
Master of the Universe

I have to agree with Alexander. There really is nothing the sequels have that would make anyone nostalgic. The prequels actually had a great story, memorable characters, good world building, and a bunch of battles and scenes fans can watch over and over again and still love just as much as the first time. Most of the Adult fans that disliked the prequels were bias. They disliked it because it wasn't OT not necessarily because they were objectively bad movies, which they clearly aren't. The sequels on the other hand are objectively bad movies. They have no memorable characters, they have no unforgettable scenes or moments. They have no world building. The films are just overall poorly done with the exception of TFA and that's only because it retreads what made the OT so great.
Zeroflamez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2020, 03:54 PM   #3079
DanM
Aquanaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by wedge1021 View Post
My all-time favourite novel & comic series from the EU era, and they're setting it as a follow-up to the ST.
Consider this: if they don't touch it, they can't f--k it up.
DanM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2020, 04:24 PM   #3080
Ksteel
Mutant

The prequels had a 'great story and memorable characters?' Lmao.

Check out the infamous Redlettermedia Mr. Plinkett prequel reviews if you want a laugh.