ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion
Go Back   ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion > Action Figure Discussion > Canadian Action Figure News

Old 09-15-2010, 02:26 PM   #1
Super_Megatron
Instagram: colin_tfcon
Ask Matty September 2010 Mattel Q&A Answers for ActionFigureNews.ca

AFN: Can you confirm that the first wave of DCUC vs MOTU 2-packs will be released in TRU stores by the end of the year (this is what TRU has told us)? Will it be in English only or trilingual packaging? When can we expect wave 2 at Canadian retail?
Mattel: Unlike DVDs or books, we don’t have exact retail release dates for toys. The next wave of MOTU vs. DCU is scheduled for the fall, but there are a lot of logistical issues that go into when exactly they make it to shelf. As for distribution outside of the US, that is up to Toys “R” Us.

AFN: In Canada Zellers will pick up many Target exclusives from other companies since there is no Target in Canada, has Zellers been approached to carry Target exclusives in Canada?
Mattel: Sorry, we can not comment on this. It is up to each retailer to decide which territories and countries to distribute exclusives in.

AFN: What specific stores can we expect to see DCUC at in Canada as the Christmas season approaches?
Mattel: It is up to each retailer to decide what lines to take. This is not information Mattel provides. If you are not seeing your favorite Mattel line at your local retailer, be sure to ask for it by name!

AFN: What specific store exclusives are scheduled to be released in Canada in the near future?
Mattel: There are no exclusives being developed only for Canada at this time. It is up to each retailer to decide which countries and territories to distribute exclusive product in. Mattel does not control this.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ap_mattel.jpg
Views:	443
Size:	15.7 KB
ID:	1747  
Old 09-15-2010, 02:55 PM   #2
pattycakeman
Cylon Centurion
Re: Ask Matty September 2010 Mattel Q&A Answers for ActionFigureNews.ca

So the moral of the story is.... dont ask questions about stores...
pattycakeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 03:09 PM   #3
Bruticus82
Super Friend

While I understand Q. 1, 3 and 4, I kind of take issue with 2

Q.2 because we're asking "There's no target in Canada, has Zellers been approached?" and their answer is "it's up to each retailer to decide which countries to distribute their exclusive in."

It makes it look like they didn't really read our question about their being no Targets up here...

In general though, does it seem to anyone else that Mattel knows a lot less about their retail partners than Hasbro does? I mean, not to knock Mattel, but Hasbro can typically give us approximate dates products will hit shelves in Canada, and can tell us what exclusives will show up in what store chain. Mattel seems to not have dates, or even a vague awareness about product availability.
Bruticus82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 03:49 PM   #4
Rogue_Optimus
Decepticon

Well that was a whole lot of nothing. Guess I'll be buying my Mattel stuff in the US.
Rogue_Optimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 04:16 PM   #5
Prowl_2009
Guardian of Gotham

Thank God for eBay when it comes to DCUC.

My Blog: Infinite Earths
Twitter: @InfinteEarths
Facebook
Prowl_2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 11:36 PM   #6
CTO15
Avengers Assemble!

wow, thanks for the same cookie cutter answer for all the questions.

But also, couldn't the question been more diverse, I feel like they were all along the same line
CTO15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 12:30 AM   #7
Robimus
Super Moderator

I'm looking at question one. It's funny becasue Hasbro, Mattels competition, does kinda have ideas on release dates that they release in at least the Star Wars Q & A's.

We've often been told that X wave should be arriving at Canadian Retailers in the next few weeks, or similar style answers.

I think Mattel needs to up its game a little on this Q & a stuff.

Visit the official TFcon Toronto Website for all the details!
Robimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 09:17 AM   #8
Bruticus82
Super Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robimus View Post
I'm looking at question one. It's funny becasue Hasbro, Mattels competition, does kinda have ideas on release dates that they release in at least the Star Wars Q & A's.
I agree. At TFCon Hasbro gave us rough release dates to the end of the year for Transformers products, and showed us pics of exclusives, along with which stores would be carrying them.
Bruticus82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 10:34 AM   #9
pattycakeman
Cylon Centurion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robimus View Post
I think the reason why Hasbro has answers becuase it seems a lot easier to predict street dates with Huge lines like Transformers and Star Wars, where its very easy to predict sales and know that retailers are going to stock the item. With things like DCUC and MOTUC 2-packs they are smaller lines more geared towards collectors so they dont know how well they will do or continue to do at retail so they keep pushing street dates back while waiting for more retail data.

If you asked Mattel about the street date for Barbies or Hot wheels they could probably give you a solid answer.
pattycakeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 10:57 AM   #10
Robimus
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by pattycakeman View Post
I think the reason why Hasbro has answers becuase it seems a lot easier to predict street dates with Huge lines like Transformers and Star Wars, where its very easy to predict sales and know that retailers are going to stock the item. With things like DCUC and MOTUC 2-packs they are smaller lines more geared towards collectors so they dont know how well they will do or continue to do at retail so they keep pushing street dates back while waiting for more retail data.

If you asked Mattel about the street date for Barbies or Hot wheels they could probably give you a solid answer.
Maybe.

Take the EU Legacy Wave for instance. Hasbro secured 100 cases of that for Canadian TRU's and basically told us exactly when they would be appearing in stores.

Those figures has a very limited run yet there were still solid dates.

Is it possible that Mattel doesn't have a Canadian wing the way Hasbro does? Because that could explain things as well.

Visit the official TFcon Toronto Website for all the details!
Robimus is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mattel q&a