ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion
Go Back   ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion > Action Figure Discussion > Action Figure General Discussion

Old 11-09-2022, 02:44 PM   #1411
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys
Re: I open a toy & post it here... VOL 2!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloud View Post
The Gundam official Youtube page. Gundam.Info. (Eng Sub)
Latest upload is my favorite series of all time. The 08MS Team.
Wing series was uploaded last year sometime. There was a limited release of the Endless Waltz movie. Not sure if they removed it now.

Update* Mother trucker.... they removed the series. But they just updated the Engless Waltz OVA again but in episode format

https://youtu.be/oIUFFuL3Fuk
Oh hell yeah. Time to hunker down on some Gundam that I?ve not seen. Thank you!!
Team Jetfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2022, 02:45 PM   #1412
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

854-2
McFarlane Toys- Avatar: The Last Airbender: Aang.

It?s crazy how massive Avatar: The Last Airbender is about to get and if us fans are lucky, we are due for a lot of new and cool stuff. Not only are they in production of a live action series, with direct ties to the original cartoon, I understand that there is a cartoon movie in production that takes place post events of the series with a grown up Aang and Team Avatar. And while I would prefer a media set before TLA or after Korra, I?m just happy to see more than a poorly made Hollywood blockbuster, or monthly comics (which are apparently very good, but not my chosen media at the moment). Maybe, just maybe, if Avatar continues its success, us Korra fans can actually get an action figure produced, which seems to be impossible at the moment.

Pros: My first McFarlane 7? Avatar figure and I am very impressed. Solid sculpt with lots of detail, a good amount of articulation allowing for some nice poses and the inclusion of his trusty staff. I also appreciate his little air scooter stand that he is known for but?

Cons: I do not think there is any way to pose him cross legged while sitting on it like in the show. I mean, it?s not like I would have chosen that for my shelf, but if they are going to include the air ball, some level of engineering should be included to make it actually work. Also, I?m not sure on the scaling for these figures. Time will tell as I open them, but Aang looks pretty large and may not scale very well. Lastly, PLEASE MAKE A KORRA.

Old 11-10-2022, 06:43 PM   #1413
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

S-20
Beast Kingdom- 8ction- Disney Afternoons: Scrooge McDuck.

As big of a fan of Darkwing Duck that I am, I’m an equal fan of Duckberg’s richest resident: Scrooge McDuck. And while I watched the well known cartoon series that this is based on, my love of the character stems from my favorite all time favorite Christmas Classic special: Disney’s: A Christmas Carol.

*old man rant incoming*

See, back in the day, (some) media was special because we never had such easy access at any given time to most things available right at our fingertips. Now don’t get me wrong, I love my Smart Phone, I love streaming and I love the internet: It’s something that I had been dreaming of all through the 80s and 90s growing up as everything I wanted that was special was to be accessible, but has that double edged sword of losing why it was special in the first place. Music is a really great example given that I used to spend much of my time as a youth going to independent record stores looking for cool new CD releases from bands that no one ever heard about. It was a simple pleasure really: Go to a music shop with friends, spend too much money on a CD, listen to it for hours and repeat. Some of of favorite albums that I hold dear are still from that era and these are from bands that many people don’t even know of (dumb flex, but what can I say). Now music has become such a passive activity that while I still like finding new bands and music to listen to, it’s a bit of an afterthought and albums certainly do not have the same impact as they once did. Basically I could have really distilled this down to one simple idea that when something is great supply, it becomes less special.

Which brings us back to the topic at hand: I can watch Disney’s A Christmas Carol right now, in the month of August, I could watch it every day in December right up to the 25th. Hell, it could be the only thing I ever watch on Disney Plus for the next 365 days, which is in stark contrast to the days of yore when you needed to know the one day, the one 30 time slot in late November or early December that the CBC played the special and if you missed it? Better luck next year.

Ultimately I’m happy that I was a kid during those years where anticipation and scarcity made media seem more enjoyable. I’ll stop short of waxing poetic about how kids these days don’t understand, or that things were better back then (which they definitely weren’t), but will say they certainly felt special to us in that moment.

Pros: Given that Scrooge is basically the proto figure of Darkwing I had very similar expectations for him and for the most part they were met. The sculpt and overall look is fantastic and captures the cartoon model extremely well with the nice soft goods tunic and top hat.. Articulation is decent and allows for a good rant of motion, although it lacks a knee joint which I found odd considering Darkwing hand knees. I appreciate the full sized extra head and found that it was pretty easy to change over which is always a plus in my book. Lastly, the accessories are fine, but I think I would have preferred some archaeological relics instead.

Cons: Minor issues: The stand continues to be an odd choice given his butt is too big for it to work as designed. Also his top hat doesn’t stay on his head very well. Lastly, my first one came with a seized waist joint. Not a huge issue given that Amazon replaced it right away, but I feel like it should have been caught at the factory.

Old 11-10-2022, 06:44 PM   #1414
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

Old 11-11-2022, 03:36 PM   #1415
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

855-2
McFarlane Toys- DC Multiverse: Robin

Oh how the times change. McFarlane Toys was a huge part of my collection back in the 90’s and dried up until I picked up and reviewed a Star Trek figure (James T Kirk) posted three years ago in 2019. Since then McFarlane has been gaining steam in the market, as well as making up a large part of my collection going forward. Of course there are the DC Multiverse figures, but also Harry Potter, Star Trek, both Avatars, Mortal Kombat, Fortnite, Disney and of course Spawn; and that is just the ones that I actively collect. That’s a really big change from five years ago and McFarlane should be very proud of themselves.

Pros: I was really excited for this Robin figure. First off I like Damian Robin a lot and I thought that this toy version had a lot of character which is captured by a really detailed sculpt. Outside of that I appreciate the sword and both throwing stars that are included.

Cons: Given that I was really excited, I was a bit letdown by the final product. First off there is no waste or chest movement to speak of (likely due to his size). Second of all he only has single point joints on both his elbows and knees (again likely due to size) and finally there is no storage for his sword or either of the throwing stars.

Old 11-11-2022, 03:40 PM   #1416
Eko123
Body without Organs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Jetfire View Post
855-2
McFarlane Toys- DC Multiverse: Robin

Oh how the times change. McFarlane Toys was a huge part of my collection back in the 90?s and dried up until I picked up and reviewed a Star Trek figure (James T Kirk) posted three years ago in 2019. Since then McFarlane has been gaining steam in the market, as well as making up a large part of my collection going forward. Of course there are the DC Multiverse figures, but also Harry Potter, Star Trek, both Avatars, Mortal Kombat, Fortnite, Disney and of course Spawn; and that is just the ones that I actively collect. That?s a really big change from five years ago and McFarlane should be very proud of themselves.

Pros: I was really excited for this Robin figure. First off I like Damian Robin a lot and I thought that this toy version had a lot of character which is captured by a really detailed sculpt. Outside of that I appreciate the sword and both throwing stars that are included.

Cons: Given that I was really excited, I was a bit letdown by the final product. First off there is no waste or chest movement to speak of (likely due to his size). Second of all he only has single point joints on both his elbows and knees (again likely due to size) and finally there is no storage for his sword or either of the throwing stars.
Have to admit, I would have gladly bought this figure, had it not been for the cartoonish looking head sculpt.

I would have much preferred the head that's in the re-released figure in the upcoming 5 pack.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Batman-5pack-13__scaled_800.jpg (93.7 KB, 6 views)
Eko123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2022, 04:20 PM   #1417
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eko123 View Post
Have to admit, I would have gladly bought this figure, had it not been for the cartoonish looking head sculpt.

I would have much preferred the head that's in the re-released figure in the upcoming 5 pack.
Yeah. The head sculpt is really stylized in a what that would turn some collectors off. I wish that McFarlane would have a ?standard? class of figures that wouldn?t focus on artistic licence. Sure having the figures from the specific comic is neat, but not everyone wants a cartoon Robin.
Old 11-14-2022, 04:21 PM   #1418
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

856-2
Hasbro- Transformers Generations: Wingblade.

So I was going through my earlier reviews and noticed that this was not my first Wingblade figure and by all accounts, certainly NOT the better of the two. I can only assume that the newer “headmaster” version was way better as I certainly don’t have the lingering distaste of the figure as I do for this one. That said, I’m way out of the loop on the current crop of Transformers characters and I’m not sure where Wingblade is landing within the fandom, but I think for her first towy that she deserved better. Seriously, it’s like a half done figure and I am wondering how it made it to market.

Pros: Two great things: I LOVE that that made the fan in her hair removable that can be used as a weapon. I also adore the sword and sheath and feel that much of the budget went into these two items.

Cons: Both modes are floppy messes, the transformation is frustrating and I can barely get her to either stay pinned together in vehicle mode OR stand up straight. Its seriously frustrating how they thought this was ok to release.

Old 11-14-2022, 04:21 PM   #1419
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

Old 11-15-2022, 06:48 PM   #1420
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

857-2
Hasbro- Star Wars Black Series: Hondo Ohnaka

It seems like a lifetime ago at this point, but I finally was able to experience the Black Spire Outpost on the Planet Batuu for myself. For those who aren’t either big Star Wars or Disney Parks fans, this area is also known simply as “Star Wars Land” and it is located IRL at Disneyland in California and Disney Hollywood Studios in Florida. Much like my Harry Potter figures I thought I’d share some thoughts about my experience over the course of some Star Wars reviews so stay tuned.

Pros: Hondo was released as a special Disney Parks exclusive only available at the parks and Target in the US. Thankfully Hasbro decided to throw us Canadians and release these exclusives at Toys R Us which is how I was able to add him to my collection. Have I explained how much I HATE store exclusives? Especially true for initial figures of popular characters? And this is made so much worse considering that Hondo is an exceptional toy. He’s got a fantastically detailed sculpt, a good amount of articulation that isn’t hindered by design and a blaster/holster combo that looks great.

Cons: Outside of being a stupid exclusive, I got nothing. Hondo is a great figure for any fans of the character.