ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion
Go Back   ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion > Action Figure Discussion > Action Figure General Discussion

Old 10-10-2020, 01:01 PM   #711
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys
Re: I open a toy & post it here... VOL 2!

Team Jetfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 12:27 PM   #712
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

434-2
Disney Infinity 3.0- Baloo.

Continuing my reviews of the Disney theatrical release movie catalog. Check out my previous review 429-2 for details.

Snow White and the 7 Dwarfs.
Release date: 1937
On Disney Plus.

Known as the first feature length animated movie, Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs still impresses after all these years which is quite the feat considering how long ago that really was; I mean, this movie was released 2 years before WW2 had started! And while it is often touted that Mickey Mouse was the one who started it all, I feel that without the success that Walt Disney had with Snow White, Disney would not be the pop culture giant that it is today. Now I’m sure that many people know the basic premise of Snow White as it is based on an old Grimm fairy tale (standard practice for Disney) but if you haven’t seen this film recently, I would really recommend checking it out, if not just to see how beautiful the animation is. I was also surprised to see how frightening some of the sequences were, but they all lead to something important. One scene in particular was when Snow White ran away at the Huntsman’s behest into the scary forest where everything seemed to be clawing and attaching her, but when all seemed to be lost, the forest softened up with all sorts of critters coming out to help Snow White feel safe once again. This is showing kids that sometimes things can be scary, but often only look that way and often there are people around to help. What a great metaphor for kids watching, especially during that time in history. And while it isn’t fair to look at an old movie through a current lens, there are some questionable points throughout that I think might bring up some great conversation points for parents watching this with their kids, but really should not detract people from watching this amazing piece of cinematic history.

Pros: it’s kind of odd that Baloo was the only character from the Jungle Book that received an Infinity figure. I suppose it had something to do with the live action movie released around the same time, but still why him? Baloo was not even the main character. I guess he’s probably the most popular due in part to his somewhat laid back attitude and well known theme song. In any case I’m a fan so this pick up was a no brainer for me.

Cons: Unfortunately he’s the only featured Jungle Book character of the now cancelled line.

Old 10-13-2020, 12:57 PM   #713
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

435-2
McFarlane Toys- DC Multiverse: Green Lantern.

I’m just going to come out and say it: I love what Macfarlane is doing with the DC licence. Sure the releases are a bit Batman heavy, the scale is a bit larger than I like and the articulation takes a bit to get used to, but who cares? I mean, I love Batman, scale has never been an issue and the articulation is 1000 times better than it has been in the past; hell I’d say the same or better than many of the DC Mattel figures in my collection. I also feel that McFarlane should get some praise for tackling various different lines within the multiverse including various comic designs like Batman, TV show based figures like Arrow (the only one I’m not buying) and finally figures from the UBER popular Timm-verse animated series; how cool is that? I also LOVE that they have figures from the animated Teen Titans series on the horizon. Makes you wonder how deep they are planning to go on this line?

Pros: When I first saw Green Lantern on the peg I was initially skeptical. Don’t get me wrong, I love Jon Stewart and the Timm-Verse animated aesthetic, but I didn’t really know how it was translated to toy form, especially with McFarlane’s somewhat exaggerated features, but I was happily surprised as the figure exceeded my expectations. GL has a great animated style sculpt, a decent amount of articulation that allows for some decent poses and comes with some fun green lantern style constructs.

Cons: Two major things pop out: 1. The green paint on his suit does not connect between his shoulder and his neck area. It’s not a big deal, but does break up the overall look of the figure. 2. He does not come with a lantern. I mean, it’s the one thing that every GL figure should come with.

Old 10-13-2020, 02:04 PM   #714
Fermix
Cobra Trooper

That GL was part of $5 Fridays at EB Games a couple of weeks ago. I don't even like DC and thought it was a great buy for $5
Fermix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 12:09 PM   #715
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fermix View Post
That GL was part of $5 Fridays at EB Games a couple of weeks ago. I don't even like DC and thought it was a great buy for $5
$5? Dang. That’s a great deal. I understand the problems that people have with it, but it’s a fun figure.
Old 10-14-2020, 12:10 PM   #716
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

436-2
Hasbro- Transformers Generations: Springer.

Honest question: who doesn’t love a triple changer? I suppose there are some folks out there, but I assume these are the same people who love eating at Arby’s, listen to Nickleback, or just love winter because they love wearing sweaters! Like, they are out there, but they are not my kind of people. And I feel that common sense is on my side already, especially in the realm of Transformers. The line is literally built on two for one toys; who would not want three for one!

Pros: Like any triple-changer Springer has 2 decent modes and one kind of meh mode. For example, his robot mode is imposing, has good articulation and can hit a number of great poses. His car mode is sleek, nicely detailed and appropriately futuristic and his Helicopter, well, I’ll give it extra credit for having font landing gear.

Cons: Unfortunately the helicopter mode is the weak link of the modes as it kind of looks like a robot/car with a cockpit and rotors. However that wouldn’t be a big deal for me as I had a history as a kid for creating “non-official” 3rd modes for my transformers that really only involved something as simple as opening the doors to make wings. By comparison Springer is practically an engineering masterpiece.

Old 10-14-2020, 12:10 PM   #717
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

Old 10-15-2020, 02:04 PM   #718
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

Hasbro- Star Wars Black Series: Scout Trooper with Speeder Bike.

Storm Troopers certainly have evolved over the years. So much so, I can’t even keep track. I mean, back in my day, we only had 4 different types and all were pretty cool: Original Storm Trooper, Sand Trooper, Snow Trooper and finally the Scout Trooper and I think if I were to pick a favorite it would certainly be a tossup between the Snow and Scout troop. I mean, on one hand the Snow Trooper has a better uniform, but the Scout Trooper, as we see him anyway, rides one of the most iconic vehicles in the Star Wars universe and is part of arguably one of the best action scenes in all the Star Wars movies; it’s difficult to compete with that.

Pros: Releases as one of the first Black Series larger combo packs, The Scout Trooper and Speeder Bike really do not disappoint. The Trooper has a great sculpt, good articulation, has his little ankle blaster and can fit on the bike really well. The bike is a good size, looks fantastic in hand and even comes with a little stand that provides a great range of motion for poses. Overall an amazing set.

Cons: I really do not have anything bad to say; just a really solid set.

Old 10-16-2020, 12:07 PM   #719
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

438-2
Hasbro- Marvel Legends: Kraven the Hunter

I seem to recall hearing that the villain for Spider-Man 3 was supposed to be Kraven; was that ever substantiated? Either way I’m a bit torn as he is certainly not an upper tier villain in my book, but it would still be interesting to see what the MCU would do with a character like Kraven. That said, how would he even fit in? Now, my knowledge of the character starts and ends with the excellent Animated Spider-Man show from the 90’s and the even more excellent Spectacular Spider-Man series from the 2000’s, so I’m hardly an authority on the subject, but isn’t Kraven just a guy that can hunt really well? I mean, Peter fought Thanos in SPACE. You don’t think a guy that has a decent sense of smell really stands a chance? Ah well, I’ll leave it up to the team that has not steered my wrong yet.

Pros: While I’m not the biggest Kraven the Hunter fan, I certainly can appreciate an amazing figure. Overall he has a fantastic sculpt with so many great details, solid articulation and a nice spear weapon accessory. I realize that this is an old figure at this point, but if you can track one down I highly recommend it.

Cons: For whatever reason the belt on my figure does not want to stay tabbed together, but not other issues that I can think of.

Old 10-19-2020, 01:20 PM   #720
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

439-2
Hasbro- Transformers Combiner Wars: Megatron

It's always funny to me when I remove an old figure that has been sitting in storage for a few years just to realize that 2 or 3 updates, that are likely better, have been released after that older figure that I was once so very excited about. I guess I should know by now that Hasbro is never going to try anything new or risky in the Transformers space and much like the Iphone, just be expecting a new, but slightly different take on a decent product that preceded it. That said, I really wish that I got the Armada re-tool for this mould as I think it would have been something unique and somewhat new to join the arim of grey/silver Megatron toys.

Pros: Overall Megatron is an enjoyable figure. He has an imposing robot mode with a nice sculpt, a really beautiful metallic paint job, a good amount of articulation, his trademark Arm Cannon and few other accessories to round his weapon arsenal out. Transformation is a breeze and his tank mode does not really disappoint. Two major highlights on this figure include a perfect G1 head sculpt and actual real soft plastic tank treads which is something that I love on any tank Transformer.

Cons: Ok three basic issues on this figure. Now keep in mind that this is a leader class figure that represents the top of the retail level of Transformers figures. 1. The figure is a bit basic and while I am a self described “transformation simpleton” I have come to expect a level of complexity on figures that was just not present on this figure. 2. Further to the level of detail expected on a figure like this, I'm not sure why we didn’t get ankle tilts in robot mode or the ability to adjust the pitch on the tank barrel in vehicle mode. 3. Lastly I think we can all agree that Megatron’s Arm cannon is as synonymous with the character as him changing into a handgu… I mean tank. With that said, you would think the designers would sculpt something that he could easily use or pose with, but given the way it attaches to his arm; it’s just not possible.