ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion
Go Back   ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion > Action Figure Discussion > Action Figure General Discussion

Old 11-25-2019, 11:40 AM   #461
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys
Re: I open a toy & post it here... VOL 2!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66jedikiller66 View Post
Human alliance scale rocks, it was my favorite Transformers toyline and they were affordable too!
I would love to see them come back, but perhaps instead of humans they do it for detailed Headmasters or Targetmasters.
Team Jetfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 11:41 AM   #462
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

264-2
Hasbro- Transformers- Reveal the Shield: Autobot Jazz

Rating of worst to best of the Transformers movies continued; see review 208-2, 213-2, 217-2, 223-2, 226-2, 230-2, 234-2, 239-2, 243-2, 246-2, 249-2, 252-2, 257-2 & 260-2 for previous instalments:

Transformers Movie Rating #3: Transformers The Movie

The Ugly:
Under my notes for the “ugly parts” of The Transformers I simply wrote “cliche garbage”. And while that might cast a fairly wide net for an action type movie, I feel that it could be systematic of any Michael Bay picture and it’s just so frustrating to see it present in EVERY Transformers movie. For example, within the first 5 minutes you have American soldiers talking about literally the most American thing in the world that it almost seems comical: “Watching the Red Sox playing at Fenway Park, eating a hotdog a drinking an iced cold Beer” LIke we get it: you are from the USA and you want to pander to the American audience.
Not to be outdone there is also the constant over sexualization of the female lead, which in this case is Megan Fox who plays Mikalia, a HIGH SCHOOL student. We are treated to gratuitous and unnecessary body shots throughout the movie and while this play is nothing new for an action film it is just so unnecessary at this point. Also keep in mind, this is a movie based on an 80’s toy line, designed to sell action figures to boys (and collectors). I can appreciate the Megan Fox is a pretty girl and “of age” at the time, but, as with Tesa from AOE, it is bizarre that a high school sex symbol in the the movie was still ok when it was produced.
Lastly, and probably most importantly, why did they have to kill Jazz? Seriously a total dick move Michael Bay, dick move.

Pros: The timing of these generations figures is a bit hazy for me, but I feel like this was the first updated “generations” style Jazz based on the g1 design, but updates for new collectors. I have always been a massive Jazz fan and regret never being able to have the figure as a kid, so I was really looking forward to this figure. Overall I really like the look of both vehicle and robot mode and feel the did a good job with the G1 Homage. The transformation is easy, but fun and articulation is typical for a modern Transformers. Perhaps the best feature is the 2 little speakers attached to his door that really completes the super cool Jazz persona.

Cons: Despite all pros that I mentioned, this figure is SO frustrating! Perhaps it is just my copy, but the joints are ridiculously loose and it makes posing a real challenge to find something that won't instantly make him instantly do the splits. Additionally the feet transformation is unessecarity stupid and complicated with a spring loaded flap that does nothing and perhaps most agreegious: in robot mode his chest will not tab in place making it look like he is in mid transformation as soon as you pic him up. If I was a kid I would have been really upset, hell, I’m an adult and STILL feel cheated; how was this ok? Thankfully I found a solution to keep him “together” so it’s not all bad, but If I’m being honest, after all these years, Jazz was a major letdown.

Old 11-25-2019, 11:41 AM   #463
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

Old 11-26-2019, 03:41 PM   #464
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

265-2
Disney Toy Box- Pixar: Vanellope VonSweets

Rating of worst to best of the a the Pixar movies continued; see review 205-2, 219-2, 231-2 & 240-2 for the previous instalments:

16. A Bugs Life- The second ever Pixar movie and while it is enjoyable enough it felt more like a movie geared to a younger crowd and didn’t quite hit the mark for me. Especially considering that it’s sandwiched between Toy Story 1 and 2 with many other instant classics that proceed it. I will give it props for having fun characters and a thought-provoking story, but not really classic material.

Pros: I love Wreck It Ralph and Vanellope has a special place in my heart as my daughter actually dressed up as her one Halloween, Unfortunately no one at her school really got it, but I thought I was pretty great. The figure is a nice representation of the character with her trademark look, has surprisingly good articulation and comes with the two animal critters from the Ralph Breaks the Internet trailer and credit scene.

Cons: Well, matching her cartoon model, she has a massive head and is a bit top heavy making her difficult to poose. I also feel that a car may have been a better accessory to include.

Old 11-27-2019, 11:52 AM   #465
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

266-2
Hasbro- Star Wars Black Series: Storm Trooper

Rating of worst to best of the Star Wars movies continued; see reviews 215-2, 218-2, 221-2, 241-2, 245-2 & 247-2 for the previous instalments:

8. Star Wars Ep 1- The Phantom Menace

Rounding out the best of the worst, to no one's surprise, is EP 1 and with good reason as it represents a clear division of time for the Star Wars fandom. To fans who loved the original trilogy the prequels had some substantial expectations to meet, expectations that only grew with every year that past from Return of the Jedi, from every piece of media that superfans could get their hands on and in my case, every power of the force action figure that I could line my walls with. Unfortunately, for most those expectations were quickly shattered with 3 words: "Meesa Jar Jar Binks!”

Pros: This is iconic as it gets, the one and only classic Storm Tropper and it is great. Fantastic sculpt that captures the iconic StormTrooper aesthetic, above average articulation allowing for a range of poses and good accessories that can be held in hand or, in the case of the Imperial Blaster, thrown in the holster.

Cons: The only thing, and this is very nitpicky with very little to do with the actual figure, is that I'm not used to seeing Storm Troopers in action poses. Sure I've seen them walk, jog and stand at attention, but anything more just looks funny to me. Sure it’s just a facet of the armor being very cumbersome, but it's funny how that image of the character stays with you.

Old 12-02-2019, 05:39 PM   #466
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

267-2
Hasbro- Marvel Legends: Grim Reaper

Given all the new details that have emerged from SDCC and D23 I thought I might be fun to give some thoughts on all the new announced projects. First up will be the shows, then movies then they toys.

Phase 4 New Shows.
To preface, I never got into the Netflix series and while I understand that many people like them, I’m indifferent to their cancellation as my preference would be to have every interconnected. That said, I may actually watch these new shows given their ultimate connection to the MCU.

The Falcon and Winter Soldier- This will be interesting as the first Disney Plus show as well as a neat look at what the Marvel cinematic Universe might look like without Captain America. Given that they both have taken the helm of Cap in the past It will be interesting to see how it turns out. .

Wanda Vision- While I think Elizabeth Olson is a great Scarlet Witch and Paul Bettany is a fantastic Vision, I’m just not sure I care enough about the characters to be really that excited for this series, that is, unless the “white” version of Vision is used then I might check it out.

Loki- For the most part I feel like Loki was the best part in the first 2 Thor movies as well as a decent villain/supporting hero in Thor Ragnarok and the Avengers, but I’m just not sure what is left? Perhaps a Frog Thor or a Beta Ray Bill cameo would be something to get excited about.
What If..? - I was never a “What if?” comics fan as I didn’t really get the point. I mean, who cares What If? Cause it never really happened in actual continuity. That said, might provide a few fun story lines in the MCU and feature some supporting characters.

Hawkeye- I’m honestly not sure what happened, but sometime between Avengers: Age of Ultron and Avengers Endgame I fell in love with Hawkeye. Perhaps it was the character development from Age of Ultron, or his appearance fighting with Team Cap in Civil War or his completely badass portrayal as Ronin on Endgame, but the archer with no super powers has really grown on me. Not sure what this will be about, but if Rener is in it, I’ll be watching.
Ms. Marvel- I really enjoy the Ms Marvel character and cannot wait to see how this turns out. I have to imagine that this would be a natural series to feature some other off brand fan favorites like Gwen Pool and Squirrel Girl, but I guess time will tell.

Moon Knight- Back in my comic collecting days I was always drawn to Moon Night, but never really delved into the comics. That said I understand there is a lot of potential for a dark storyline so here is hoping it is something cool.

She Hulk- Marc Bernardin (of Podcast “Fatman Beyond with Kevin Smith and the new He-Man cartoon) had soft pitched a She-Hulk show as a legal procedural not unlike Law and Order. I think this might be a really neat idea and am interested what Disney might do. .

Pros: They should call this guy the GRIN Reaper cause that face sculpt is freaking amazing. I’m often frustrated with that amount of re-tools / re=paints that Hasbro does on these Marvel Legends, but most of the time they make up for it with a crazy good head sculpt; and I mean crazy- he looks nuts! My only exposure to Grim Reaper was from a short appearance in a recent Vision series, in which he (vision) made his own robot family in suburbia) and was injured pretty bad by a surprise razor sharp scythe through the back. And while I assume Vision survived (I never continued with the series) it was pretty badass. Grim reaper also includes his back staby scythe and a removable cap, which somewhat ironically, is the same one that the Hulkbuster Vision figure comes complete with.

Cons: I really have no complaints on how Grim Reaper turned out, but if I was being picky I would love a way to both include a cape while not limiting the ability to pose the figure.

Old 12-09-2019, 02:19 PM   #467
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

268-2
Hasbro- Transformers Prime: Rachet

Rating of worst to best of the Transformers movies continued; see review 208-2, 213-2, 217-2, 223-2, 226-2, 230-2, 234-2, 239-2, 243-2, 246-2, 249-2, 252-2, 257-2, 260-2 & 264-2 for previous instalments:

Transformers Movie Rating #2: Bumblebee

After Transformers 5: The Last Knight, I was about done with getting excited over anymore live action Transformers movies and even less excited for one all about the character that I felt was already over exposed, but was intrigued after seeing the first trailer as it looked to have som potential. I was happy that Micheal Bay was not directing, I was a fan of Haley Steinfiled from Pitch Perfect and I liked that it was set in the 80’s with nods to the original G1 series; I mean, could this actually be good? Given the position on this list the answer is obviously yes; it is a pretty decent movie and even, in my opinion, nudges out the first live action movie, if just barely. I think I given Bumblebee more credit for NOT being a Michael Bay movie. Maybe if he trued something else than big explosions, sexed up teens and terrible humor, but given all the money he’s made in the last few years, I doubt he’s changing the formula.

Pros: I still have a number of these figures to open, but it is clear that I really need to give Transformers Prime a bit more credit as the figures are really quite exceptional and it makes me wonder if I may have passed on some cool figures, prior to Hasbro’s more “economical” offerings. Ratchet has Excellent, intuitive transformation, good articulation, and nice vehicle mode: everything that you would want in a great figure.

Cons: My only complaint is that his “weapons” are very rubbery and perhaps a touch “off brand” for the character.

Old 12-09-2019, 02:20 PM   #468
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

Old 12-09-2019, 03:40 PM   #469
Tonestar
Rookie Supreme

Ratchet is a great figure as are most of the Prime Transformers. The cool thing about his blades is you can tilt his hands down in robot mode so it looks like the blades pop out of his wrist just like they did on the show.
Tonestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 06:24 PM   #470
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonestar View Post
Ratchet is a great figure as are most of the Prime Transformers. The cool thing about his blades is you can tilt his hands down in robot mode so it looks like the blades pop out of his wrist just like they did on the show.
I didn't realize that was a design element (Didn't really watch the show). What a cool detail! I feel as though Prime was the last great TF toyline that Hasbro produced. I may not have loved the show, but these figures are pretty amazing.