ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion
Go Back   ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion > Action Figure Discussion > Action Figure General Discussion

Old 11-10-2017, 01:31 PM   #111
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys
Re: I open a toy & post it here... VOL 2!

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle power eh View Post
No London drugs in my area. My cap figure has spent a few nights in the freezer trying to tighten up the elbows, does the trick but its not going to last forever. I was pretty excited for the retro wave but after watching some reviews I'm starting to regret pre ordering some of them...iron man especially, they put the right boots on him but his feet has no ankle pivot and that's some Mattel level BS.
That is really unfortunate to hear about the Classic figure line. Hasbro could have done something neat, but instead filled it with repainted figures and rely on nostalgia to sell it for more money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjjr View Post
My Onslaught wave Cap has gummy elbows as well. Seems like this is a problem with some of these ML figures. My Hulkbuster wave Vision and Groot wave Nova figures also have really gummy elbows, Nova especially.
I suppose time will tell how they hold up in the long run and not going to cause a Beast Wars Transmetals Megateon issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjjr View Post
I think you're being a bit tough on this figure. I can see how you might be disappointed with it, but the articulation isn't 2003. It has basically the same scheme as a regular DC Universe Classics/Multiverse figure, except that instead of a swivel above the knee there is a swivel at the shins (which is a bit strange). Granted, some people might be tired of the standard DCUC body by now.
Personally, I like it, but I looked at it as a one-off figure that I wouldn't be integrating in with the rest of my DCUC figures, since it is larger. I expected the articulation to be hindered by the armor and size of the figure.
I have to agree about the gun, though. It is too small and it points off at a weird angle downward when held in the hand. That alone would probably be enough for some people to not buy the figure. The Hasbro ML Fantomex/Protector figures have the same irritating problem.
You are right, this figure is not that bad, but still not worth the $30. My issue is more with Mattel and their apparent inability or indifference to making a quality produce that is able to compete with Hasbro. DC and their fans deserve better in my opinion. I'm also made that I have not been able to find the new Batgirl, so there is that.
Team Jetfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 02:07 PM   #112
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

2-037
Hasbro- Marvel Legends: Ironman

Oh boy, another Ironman. It’s not that I dislike Ironman, but after the multitude of releases I can see how people can get sick off him. How many times can you release the same figure with minor differences? Well, it is Hasbro, so technically lots, but still, there has to be a limit right?

At least he comes with a, similar to War Machine, open faced mask with a good likeness to Tony Stark, but I wish there were more energy effects instead. I suppose I'll have to wait for the Giant Man wave for that.

Pros: Another Ironman suit for all the Ironman fans and a open faced helmet so he can talk to his Iron buddy Rhodes.

Cons: Another Ironman suit for all the people who are over it and would have been nice to have some energy effects.

Old 11-13-2017, 11:02 AM   #113
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

2-038
DC Collectibles- Bombshells: Wonder Woman

When these first dropped I was really on the fence. Yes they are remarkable looking figures with a great amount of articulation and accessories that would make any collector happy, but the rather sexualized nature of the Bombshell universe was a bit of a, for the lack of a better word, turn-off for me. It's not that I'm against pretty ladies, I just feel that women in comics are already objectified and to the outside observer it feels as though that Bombshells doubles down on that idea with reimagining these prominent DC super heroes as WW2 circa pin up girls. I suppose in the grand scheme this style is no more explicit than your typical female superhero costume, but something about it screams sexual. The obvious counterpoint known by anyone who is aware of the Bombshells subline is that these women are featured in their own comic as independent, very capable, kick ass world war 2 heroes. If you haven't checked it out, I highly recommend it as the characters are innovative and the stories are told from a more feminine perspective so it feels a bit different then your average book.

Wonder Woman is is the first in the line and really has that 30s-40s vibe to her. The sculpt details are fantastic and I really like this costume design. Articulation is outstanding and at this scale is a nice precursor to the new DC line that is set to replace the defunct Icons. Accessory wise she's pretty well outfitted with a monkey wrench, breakaway chain with cinder block and ball as well as extra hands to hold them all. She also has her trademark lasso, but it's permanently attached to her belt which is an odd choice in my opinion.

The figure is not without issue though. Firstly, I don't love the head sculpt as she seriously looks crazy. I get what they were going for, but a more serious expression would have been better. Secondly, it is impossible for her to stand up on her own and I needed to invest in some cheap doll stands. Lastly, the little plastic pins on her breakaway chain broke out of the package. I was able to find a work around, but still should not have broken so quickly.

Pros: Fantastic articulation, nice design and cool accessories.

Cons: Face sculpt is a bit weird, can't stand on her own and suffered premature breakage.

Old 11-13-2017, 02:08 PM   #114
turtle power eh
Jedi Knight

How do the bombshells scale up with say Legends?
turtle power eh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 06:00 PM   #115
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

They are a bit bigger at 6 3/4 inches. Not terrible, and good for detail, but it seams as though DC is hell bent on not scalling in line with Hasbro.
Old 11-15-2017, 10:54 AM   #116
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

2-039
Hasbro- Star Wars- The Black Series: Luke Skywalker

This may be hard to believe, but I have 95% of the Hasbro Black Series released (Still missing Yoda and Anakin and a few other exclusives) and I have not opened one… that is until now. Given that I finally have room I figured now would the time to start on these guys, in order of release.

I’m going to start off by saying I love the Black Series Figures. Yes the 3¾ inch figures will always have a place in my collection, especially as the first toys I ever collected, but I have really come to embrace the size and detail of Hasbro’s latest offerings. In fact, most of my collection in recent years has been in the 6” size range, with only random 3¾ thrown into the mix. Yes, releases are a bit more sporadic and the price is certainly higher, but I feel like more can be accomplished with the larger size class. As a funny aside, my first jump into a larger size class was the long defunct GIJOE Sigma 6 line of 8” figures; how I wish Hasbro would release a
line of GiJoe Black Series figures…

As an initial release from the first wave of figures, it seems totally reasonable that Hasbro would choose Luke to lead the way, but what does seem odd is that they released this version. Certainly iconic, but given that this line was unproven it makes you wonder why any other, more recognizable, Luke’s did not get the spot. Granted, this was the same company that decided to release Leia in a bikini years before any other version so I suppose we have to take that into consideration.

Accessory wise, Luke comes with everything you would expect including a Blaster, Lightsaber (with removable blade) and a helmet that looks almost perfect when worn. Face sculpt looks decent (although I’m not really a stickler for that type of thing) and the details on the flight suit, including the hoses and straps, are fantastic. Articulation is pretty standard on for all 6” figures, but I was happy to see ankle tilts that allow for decent posing. One slight downside is that I have become so used to double elbow joints that having a single one seems odd, but this is only because Marvel Legends has spoiled us in the past few years.

Pros: Pretty well everything.

Cons: Limited range on the elbows.

Old 11-15-2017, 12:25 PM   #117
Robimus
Super Moderator

I'm thinking Hasbro did that Luke first because of more oppurtunity for repaints. Not that they have done much with it, but easy to get a Wedge or a Biggs out of that mold.

Visit the official TFcon Toronto Website for all the details!
Robimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 03:16 PM   #118
turtle power eh
Jedi Knight

Blast from the past! I still remember this figure and R2 peg warming for months after everyone was buying up the Sand Trooper and Maul...even into the 2nd wave's release. Now those 2 fetch a pretty penny. Member trying to hunt Boba Fett from the 2nd wave? I member.

As for Legends spoiling us "the last few years" with double jointed elbows...they've been spoiling us FOREVER with that except for the female figures anyways. I don't heavily collect black series anymore unfortunately, but when characters from the OT get released I will generally still buy those. This Luke is still probably the best Luke in the line, with the Bespin version not too far behind in the rearview mirror.
turtle power eh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 05:49 PM   #119
lunchbox83
Clonetrooper

Have that X-Wing pilot Luke too. It looks pretty good and all, but I never took it out of its box. Same with Boba Fett. I wonder how much they go for these days.

Wish I had the Black Series 6" scale Yoda though. That's one of the only ones I don't have yet that I wish I had. Got Maz Kanata, but haven't taken her out of the box yet either.
lunchbox83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 02:34 PM   #120
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robimus View Post
I'm thinking Hasbro did that Luke first because of more oppurtunity for repaints. Not that they have done much with it, but easy to get a Wedge or a Biggs out of that mold.
That is actually a really good point and it's too bad that nothing really came from it as I would buy the heck out of Rouge Squadron

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle power eh View Post
Blast from the past! I still remember this figure and R2 peg warming for months after everyone was buying up the Sand Trooper and Maul...even into the 2nd wave's release. Now those 2 fetch a pretty penny. Member trying to hunt Boba Fett from the 2nd wave? I member.

As for Legends spoiling us "the last few years" with double jointed elbows...they've been spoiling us FOREVER with that except for the female figures anyways. I don't heavily collect black series anymore unfortunately, but when characters from the OT get released I will generally still buy those. This Luke is still probably the best Luke in the line, with the Bespin version not too far behind in the rearview mirror.
It still a bit odd to me that Maul was released in the first wave and don't think I have not thought about trying to sell mine, but as with Luke I have been waiting all this time to crack em open, it would be a shame.

As for The Black Series figures, I will continue to buy them as they continue to make them. I just wish they would stop with the massive vehicles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunchbox83 View Post
Have that X-Wing pilot Luke too. It looks pretty good and all, but I never took it out of its box. Same with Boba Fett. I wonder how much they go for these days.

Wish I had the Black Series 6" scale Yoda though. That's one of the only ones I don't have yet that I wish I had. Got Maz Kanata, but haven't taken her out of the box yet either.
Yoda and Anakin are the one two non-exclusive figures that I missed out and it pisses me off as they are so expensive now and quite frankly, not even worth it!