ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion
Go Back   ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion > Action Figure Discussion > Hasbro Toy Discussion

Old 05-20-2021, 08:44 PM   #3751
canprime
Master of the Universe
canprime's Ebay Auctions
Re: Marvel Legends discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixshot1981 View Post
Oh no doubt but while not knowing much about their other lines
costs and r&d do they put as much focus and care on the toy lines when it's a Capt Marvel as say a Infinity War movie ?

I'm saying they'd mail it in but is there as many resources one vs. the other
It's hard to say considering how much product Hasbro pumps out every year now.

Some brands are pretty evergreen for Hasbro. Marvel is definitely in that box now. So I would imagine they spend quite a bit on each new movie to make sure they have product on shelves,

Of course it is a gamble. They got burned by Captain Marvel in one direction, but on the flip side they got burned by the first Transformers movie and "Baby Yoda" from the Mandalorian. In those cases they didn't have enough, or any, product on shelves when the media hit big.

I do agree that this next phase of the MCU is higher risk. The "A Listers" are all pretty much done so you have to rely on second/third tier characters more. However the hope is they can do what Iron Man did in 2008 when he wasn't a top tier character.

Also there is the fact that some big franchises are coming down the pipe soon (X-Men, FF) so there is the chance to pivot away from underperforming characters.
canprime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 11:26 PM   #3752
Ksteel
Mutant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeroflamez View Post
Maybe in Canada they are becoming niche but I don't think it's the same for the states. The figures are still very much affordable there even after the small price hike.

I think you guys are underestimating how much relevance Merch has when it comes to the MCU a bit. The movies can't provide consistent passive income to Marvel and the Mouse like Merch can. They can only make money off the films themselves for so long. Where as license and merch deals can keep The Mouse's IV drip of money flowing for many, many years to come. Like just look at how many times companies have sold the same core Avengers team over and over again in figure and statue form for like 10 years. That's 10 years of getting money out of license deals and 10 years of kick back from merch sales. The Mouse is still making money off old MCU movies from a decade ago. That wouldn't be possible without merchandise.

Merchandise in general is one thing. Action Figures, specifically, is another.

The action figure industry is becoming more niche and niche as time progresses. I wouldn't be surprised if we see an even stronger shift from mass retail to more 'adult collector' "premium" items in the near future.

If anything Marvel will be one of the last brands we're you'll see that shift, as it's one of the most successful and hot toylines.. due to the strength of the franchise.
Ksteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 11:35 PM   #3753
Ksteel
Mutant

Quote:
Originally Posted by canprime View Post
Also there is the fact that some big franchises are coming down the pipe soon (X-Men, FF) so there is the chance to pivot away from underperforming characters.
Box office-wise, none of the Marvel characters are underperformers.

Toys don't dictate the success of these franchises anymore. They've grown to 4th quadrant mass appeal mainstream films. For audiences who don't collect toys.

RDJ was very much the flagship face of the MCU during the Infinity Saga.

It would be great if they found someone with a similar charisma and likeability to be the centerpiece of the MCU beyond Phase 4. Now that would strengthen the longterm viability of the MCU.

Whoever they cast as this guy...

Is gonna be super important, in many ways.
Old 05-21-2021, 11:14 AM   #3754
Zeroflamez
Master of the Universe

I find it kind of hard to believe that the action figure industry is becoming more and more niche. We're in a golden era right now. We've never lived in a time where we've had so much product coming out for multiple properties from multiple companies. Even niche properties are getting love these days that would never have years ago. I respect your opinion but I really can't see how Mr Fantastic can be the new figure head for phase 4 and beyond. His powers are lame and no one cared for him during the original Fantastic 4 films years ago so I can't see how it would be any different now.
Zeroflamez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2021, 11:22 AM   #3755
ssjgoku22
Mutant

Quote:
I find it kind of hard to believe that the action figure industry is becoming more and more niche. We're in a golden era right now. We've never lived in a time where we've had so much product coming out for multiple properties from multiple companies. Even niche properties are getting love these days that would never have years ago. I respect your opinion but I really can't see how Mr Fantastic can be the new figure head for phase 4 and beyond. His powers are lame and no one cared for him during the original Fantastic 4 films years ago so I can't see how it would be any different now.
I think it's more of the buying demographic that's becoming niche. Kids aren't buying toys anymore. In the 90's and early 2000's, kids and collectors were buying action figures. Now kids really aren't buying them much anymore and collectors are the only ones buying them. Hasbro has tried to make the kid-friendly lines, but those are crap, so no one really wants them (like the basic Marvel figures, Transformers Cyberverse, etc., these are forever shelf-warming).

I hope that in the future if Hasbro is continuing these price increases, that they make higher quality products with more accessories that appeal to the demographic (collectors more than kids). I mean, we're making up a large majority of their sales after all.
ssjgoku22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2021, 12:48 PM   #3756
Ksteel
Mutant

Quote:
I find it kind of hard to believe that the action figure industry is becoming more and more niche. We're in a golden era right now. We've never lived in a time where we've had so much product coming out for multiple properties from multiple companies. Even niche properties are getting love these days that would never have years ago.
Lol. And who's it coming out to? Generally the aging Adult nerd market with disposable income. Which is a shrinking, niche group.

Quote:
I respect your opinion but I really can't see how Mr Fantastic can be the new figure head for phase 4 and beyond. His powers are lame and no one cared for him during the original Fantastic 4 films years ago so I can't see how it would be any different now.

By that logic, Captain America would have never worked after these attempts;

And 'powers' wasn't the reason RDJ was such a hit with mainstream audiences and drew them to the MCU, and was the centerpiece of the MCU... it was his presence and charisma.

He raised the bar of every scene he was in with charm that won the general public over. He's a scene stealer.

The only other actor that can probably do that among the Phase 4 leftovers is Hiddleston/Loki.

If they can cast someone with that kind of presence and likeability for Reed (whos a major central part of the Marvel Universe going forward), they'll be in a good space for future phases.
Old 05-21-2021, 01:22 PM   #3757
Enforcer
Dark Knight

Anyone keeping an eye out for when the Infinity War Cap hits Walmart.ca?
Enforcer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2021, 01:23 PM   #3758
philtastic
Master of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enforcer View Post
Exclusive?
philtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2021, 01:44 PM   #3759
cloud
Master of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enforcer View Post
Which one is that?
cloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2021, 01:56 PM   #3760
Ksteel
Mutant

He's talking about this

Announced today.

The version that isn't based on Jay from RLM
https://youtu.be/zZ-zAOnxikU?t=61

It will probably also end up at Canadian TRUs.