ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion
Go Back   ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion > Action Figure Discussion > Action Figure General Discussion

Old 02-18-2010, 06:35 PM   #1
JSon
Dark Lord of the Sith
Cool Iron Man 2

If you have been following my posts even in the slightest then you have probably pieced together that I am a colossal Iron Man fan. So, I took it upon myself to create a thread dedicated to my most anticipated film of the year (quite possibly decade). Mostly I just wanted to create a place for people (mostly me) to:
-Rant about how awesome the film looks
-Speculate on the plot, characters and armors
-Share new toy info discuss

I'll cut this first post off here because I think you can gather from the above writing that I currently hold this franchise in the highest regards and am shaking with enthusiasm and excitement for the release of the toys and movie.

So what do you guys think? Going to see the movie? Indulging in the toy line? Please share you thoughts and feeling below, I'd love to hear them
JSon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 08:08 PM   #2
pud333
Master of the Universe
Re: Iron Man 2

I plan on seeing the movie, maybe not opening week, but I'll see it. IM has never been big on my superhero radar (I'm more partial to th DC heavies and the X-men), but I think this second movie looks good. The trailer is better than the first IM movie. It's not that I didn't like the first IM movie, but I just felt it was sorely lacking, like it was only half a movie. Basically, the trailer showed everything. There was no point in seeing the movie after watching that trailer. However, I am hoping IM2 has much more to it (I suspect it does).

My other gripe with the first IM movie was the director. He just can't direct action. It looked pretty bland to me, so I'm hoping he's stepped it up since then.

The toys look fantastic. I plan on getting at least the first 3 Mark suits, and some of the baddies. Looking forward to having a mini hall of armour set up.

Okay, what's with Wiplash? I liked the clips of him in the movie, but he looks... retarded. I got the same impression of him that I got when I saw what they did to juggernaut in X3. Like I said, I'm not the biggest IM fan so I don't know the history very well, but most google images I found of Whiplash shows him looking pretty cool. Perhaps you don't see his real suit until later in the film.
Old 02-18-2010, 10:59 PM   #3
CTO15
Avengers Assemble!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pud333 View Post
Okay, what's with Wiplash? I liked the clips of him in the movie, but he looks... retarded. I got the same impression of him that I got when I saw what they did to juggernaut in X3. Like I said, I'm not the biggest IM fan so I don't know the history very well, but most google images I found of Whiplash shows him looking pretty cool. Perhaps you don't see his real suit until later in the film.

my thoughts exactly.

I'm really excited too see what role the black widow is to play, and I really want to see some more easter eggs towards the avengers movie.

I recently went to Fargo, and I got some of the IM 2 figs.

The Paint Job on them is phenominal.

I really want to grab the War Machine (Comic/Movie) Versions!
CTO15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 01:50 AM   #4
JSon
Dark Lord of the Sith

Quote:
Originally Posted by pud333 View Post
Okay, what's with Wiplash? I liked the clips of him in the movie, but he looks... retarded.
I really like the look of the new Whiplash, I just think that obviously he is not fit to fight Iron Man in that get up. Whiplash in the comics was (usually) literally a guy in a spandex outfit with a leather whip (no suit, no powers, no energy whips) so I can appreciate this version much more. The best version (and one of my favorite Iron Man villains period) is the Whiplash from Armored Adventures ( http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e4...s/whiplash.jpg ) who is just awesome, and obviously much more similar to the movie version.

I suspect in the movie Whiplash will put on a more advanced version of the suit we've seen in the trailer or (and here's where my imagination and theory run somewhat wild) he will develop a version of the Crimson Dynamo armor for the final battle. I think this makes a lot of sense because
1) His name, Ivan Vanko, shares the last name of the first Crimson Dynamo
2) We never see an image of him wearing that armor (or any at all) outside of the race track
3) The toy labels him as Ivan "Whiplash" Vanko on the packaging. Why not just label him Whiplash? Unless that want to have Ivan "[other nickname]" later. (I know, this one is a little shaky).

So this is just my wild speculation, if anyone else has thoughts or theories I would love to hear them
Old 02-19-2010, 01:52 AM   #5
JSon
Dark Lord of the Sith

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTO15 View Post
I recently went to Fargo, and I got some of the IM 2 figs.
So, jealous of your IM2 haul, I can't wait to grab some of my own. I am really excited about this line because I finally get the chance to own a huge selection of armors from multiple fictions in the same scale. So far there isn't an IM2 figure I have seen that I will not be picking up, which is a good or bad thing depending on how you look at it
Old 02-19-2010, 02:30 AM   #6
CTO15
Avengers Assemble!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSon View Post
So, jealous of your IM2 haul, I can't wait to grab some of my own. I am really excited about this line because I finally get the chance to own a huge selection of armors from multiple fictions in the same scale. So far there isn't an IM2 figure I have seen that I will not be picking up, which is a good or bad thing depending on how you look at it

Its good dude! Not to mention the those Target exclusive Hall of Armor Sets

Pretty cool how you can stack them and build a hall of armor. Too bad they are a Target Exclusive
CTO15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 09:13 AM   #7
klown23
Cobra Trooper

Quote:
Pretty cool how you can stack them and build a hall of armor. Too bad they are a Target Exclusive
Well Target exclusives means they could be Zellers exclusives (like the clone wars 5 packs or ROTF orange fallen)
klown23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 10:13 AM   #8
Prowl_2009
Guardian of Gotham

Let me say, although I am a dedicated DC fan, Iron Man is perhaps the one Marvel character I do like. I loved the first flick, saw it opening weekened and I plan on doing the same with the newest entry in the series.

I loved the six-inch Iron Man movie figures, I have two exclusive ones in my collection from Wal-Mart and Target respectively and they're beyond awesome!!! I was a little disappointed when all the new toys were announced to be in 3.75" scale, but when I heard at Toy Fair that Wal-Mart and Toys R Us would be carrying six-inchers for the next movie, I nearly flipped my lid with glee!!!

Again, I am much more a DC fan than Marvel, but Iron Man kicks total ass! He's a rich, igotistical, self-centred gearhead and I can't get enough of Mr. Tony Stark!!!!

Thank God this guy exists in the Marvel mythos, otherwise, I'd be passing over the comic company completely! Not that it'd hurt their sales or anything, but you know what I mean.

My Blog: Infinite Earths
Twitter: @InfinteEarths
Facebook
Prowl_2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 07:14 PM   #9
pud333
Master of the Universe

Quote:
Its good dude! Not to mention the those Target exclusive Hall of Armor Sets

Cool. Looks like I have something else to hunt for when I make my US trips this year! Just a question: these display stands, I'm assuming they come with the figures? If so, I guess that would mean one would have to pass on the regular releases initially if they wanted to avoid buying the same figure twice?

As for Whiplash, I am convinced he will have some sort of new armor later in the film. I get the feeling that IM2 will be to IM1 what X2 was to X1. X1 was a decent start to the franchise, but X2 is when things really took off. That's what I'm hoping for with IM2.

Also, is it wrong of me to hope for some sexy Black Widow ass kicking?

Last edited by pud333; 02-19-2010 at 07:19 PM.
pud333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 08:17 PM   #10
Prowl_2009
Guardian of Gotham

Not at all.

My Blog: Infinite Earths
Twitter: @InfinteEarths
Facebook
Prowl_2009 is offline   Reply With Quote