ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion
Go Back   ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion > Action Figure Discussion > Hasbro Toy Discussion

Old 01-04-2010, 03:20 PM   #31
SPLIT LIP
Astonishingly Agile Cat
Re: The Clone Wars: Season 2: Episode 9 Discussion Thread

Sorry, dude, but after just waking up I can't bear wall of text, so I'll just rebuttal half your post.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robimus View Post
Did you not see my comments, of course I watched it
I still don't see how they belittled him when they were both the ones who ran away limping.

Quote:
Grievous only beat Koth because of his Magna Droids making the fight uneven. Everytime Eeth got an advantage the Magna Guards hit Koth.
So you're saying Grievous cheated? The way I see he evened the odds. Grievous can't use the force, so he has the guards to be his force. They can be defeated, too, y'know. It's not like he's using Godhax.

Quote:
Fisto handled Grievous fairly easily in Lair, he took one of his sabers and forced Grievous to retreat.
He stole his Padawan's saber back and Grievous was still able to fend him off.

Quote:
Only the appearance of the Magna Guards forced Kit to retreat, so he could avoid the same fate as Eeth.
Exactly. Grievous made him run. You seem to forget that grievous is a General. There's far more to being a General than just beating your opponents in swordfights. He's a master planner as well, and Grievous intrigue showed us just how well he is at planning.

Quote:
Killing clones and one Jedi just don't make Grievous the threat he needs to be.
This is exactly what he needs to be and exactly what I was talking about. He's not some unstoppable warrior, he's just some jerk who good at his job. People make him out to be some kind of God and that's bullshit.

Quote:
Right now he's playing the typical cowardly villian, always being thrwarted, always fleeing. We hear about his military victories but never really see one.
Not once in this series have I ever seen him be the typical cowardly villain. He's run, but that's his thing. that's his character, but he also kicks serious ass

Quote:
See, the Films and the EU exist and create expectations for many fans, not everyone has to like them but they are still there..
And they can be ludicrous. Expectations, like opinions, are something that people think they can use as a shield in debate, but if they're outlandish enough they can be challenged. (not that I'm saying you're doing that, just something I've always wanted to say)

Quote:
This series in and of itself is proving very disrespectful of the EU, to the point where I view it as pretty much a seperate continuity anyway.
Too many people are worried about "respecting" stuff nowadayswhen it comes to making movies, or shows or even video games. Nobody's ballsy enough to try and make progress out of fear of "disrespecting" someone else's stuff and it all gets muddled and confusing for those who aren't in the loop and have read every comic. [/personal rant]

Quote:
By disrespectful I don't mean that its ignoring the EU, that would actually be better. Instead its strip mining the EU taking aspects like Ventress the Mandalorians and more, simply using them to tell only their story with no regard for the character origins.
I dunno about this, they've done a pretty good job keeping it ambiguios. (sp? It's early) Like Grievous' "origin" in Lair of Grievous. It's worded in such a way that he doesn't say he chose his body to be changed for no reason, rather he could eb refering to choosing to have it changed after his crash in the EU.

Quote:
George Lucas approves of this and I'm actually fine with that, because as stated I do seperate the continuities into personal canon.
And I'm fine with it for a totally different reason: I have no exposure to the EU outside of maybe three video games and the first Clone Wars cartoon. Maybe that's why I don't care as much as a real fan would.

Quote:
As someone who thinks Episode 3 is the best Star Wars film thats been made I do find Split Lip's opinion disturbing (ala Vader).
Oh, sorry. I didn't really think about that. Although I do agree that Episode 3 is one of the better films, I still feel the Clone Wars Cartoon has surpased it. Maybe that's why I want it to cover it's events, because they setup and plot of Episode three is still good, but the excecution is not what I, personally, want to see. Ormaybe I really want to see Vader in this show.

I just want to stress to you now that I'm not trying to pick on you or the Expanded Universe, but I think that being in what is probably a very large Demographic of people who's only exposure to Star Wars has been the movies and the show, that I'm perfectly reasonable in wanting to support the show's dicisions when it has given me no real reason to doubt it, even if it does conflict. :/ I understand your point of view, I just don't agree with your analysis. But like you said, there's a very good and perfectly rational answer to all this: personal canon. We can choose to seperate or ignore whatever continuities we choose. I'm doing that with Episode 1 as we speak.

P.S. Sorry to answer wall of text with wall of text after ignoring half your post because of it, but then my post would be twice as long.

Last edited by SPLIT LIP; 01-04-2010 at 04:17 PM.
SPLIT LIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 04:08 AM   #32
Robimus
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by lars573 View Post
And this is why Roddenberry had the brains to make a certain declartion about his star-themed creation. "If it's not on the screen, it isn't cannon." And Lucas now seems to be following that rule.
Lucas has followed the rule for quiet a while, he just didn't start out that way

So where does this leave the new Star Trek movie I wonder?

Of course the Holiday Special, Droids and Ewoks Cartoons and Ewoks films have appeared on screen as well, but George still deosn't consider them his canon, so I think there is some holes in the Star Trek approach as described.

Visit the official TFcon Toronto Website for all the details!

Last edited by Robimus; 01-05-2010 at 04:10 AM.
Robimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 04:09 AM   #33
Robimus
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPLIT LIP View Post

P.S. Sorry to answer wall of text with wall of text after ignoring half your post because of it, but then my post would be twice as long.
Thats OK, I like walls of text

Visit the official TFcon Toronto Website for all the details!
Robimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 09:26 AM   #34
Prowl_2009
Guardian of Gotham

LOL, in any case, this was quite the enjoyable episode and it was nice to see Grievous again! Hopefully he gets a little more screen time this time around.

My Blog: Infinite Earths
Twitter: @InfinteEarths
Facebook
Prowl_2009 is offline   Reply With Quote