ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion
Go Back   ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion > Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 09-28-2021, 03:40 PM   #1
MichaelScarn6969
Agent of Shield
Question Potential Kijiji Scam

So I may have potentially been scammed on Kijiji…

I had posted an ad for a wanted figure. The next day someone from Nova Scotia (I’m in Ontario) responds and sends a photo saying they have one for sale. Just to be safe I ask them to take a picture of the figure with a piece of paper with the date on it. They do this. However, looking at the photo they sent again, the photo kinda looks photoshopped?

Anyway the person is very responsive, everything seems normal. We agreed on a price and then I e-transfer them the money and give them my mailing details. I ask them to let me know when they ship it out and they agree.

A couple days go by and they haven’t let me know anything so I ask them when they were planning on shipping it out. They tell me “today” (this was on Sunday the 26th). I say cool. The end of the day rolls around and they haven’t told me they shipped it. So on Monday I ask for the tracking number if they in fact shipped it on Sunday like they said they would. No response. This morning I message again and 9 hours later, still no response. I emailed the email address they gave me for e-transfer and still no response there either.

If I don’t hear anything by tomorrow I will more than likely treat this as a scam. Anyone else ever deal with something like this? And what would be my best course of action for getting my money back?

Thank you in advance.

Last edited by MichaelScarn6969; 09-28-2021 at 03:43 PM.
MichaelScarn6969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2021, 04:47 PM   #2
Xtreme987
Jedi Knight
Re: Potential Kijiji Scam

Some people on Kijiji/FB Marketplace can be extremely flaky meaning they just don't want to communicate that well during a sale. Unfortunately, I don't think their is anyway to get re-imbursed on Kijiji/Marketplace unlike eBay should the deal go south. Hopefully the dealer pulls through though. Good luck.
Xtreme987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2021, 04:54 PM   #3
MichaelScarn6969
Agent of Shield

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xtreme987 View Post
Some people on Kijiji/FB Marketplace can be extremely flaky meaning they just don't want to communicate that well during a sale. Unfortunately, I don't think their is anyway to get re-imbursed on Kijiji/Marketplace unlike eBay should the deal go south. Hopefully the dealer pulls through though. Good luck.
I thought maybe I could go through my bank for getting my money back since that’s how I did the e-transfer.

But I will wait a bit longer before going through all that.
Old 09-30-2021, 10:54 AM   #4
Rj64
Agent of Shield

I think you can go through your bank. It might be different for every bank. If I'm doing a shipping option I try and pay via PayPal and say I'll pay the extra to cover the fee PayPal takes. If I do use an etransfer I check to see if the user has a minimum of 3 years on kijiji. If they scam, chances are kijiji will delete the account. It's unlikely someone with an account for 3 years or more will scam. Hopefully it works out.
Rj64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2021, 04:06 PM   #5
MichaelScarn6969
Agent of Shield

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rj64 View Post
I think you can go through your bank. It might be different for every bank. If I'm doing a shipping option I try and pay via PayPal and say I'll pay the extra to cover the fee PayPal takes. If I do use an etransfer I check to see if the user has a minimum of 3 years on kijiji. If they scam, chances are kijiji will delete the account. It's unlikely someone with an account for 3 years or more will scam. Hopefully it works out.
Hey thanks for the reply. Turns out it was a scam.

So unfortunately I’m out of luck. My bank can’t/won’t do anything and Kijiji told me to contact my local police. I did that and they pretty much told me I’m not getting that money back.

Oh well, lesson learned.