ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion
Go Back   ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion > Action Figure Discussion > Action Figure General Discussion

Old 06-24-2020, 04:37 PM   #1
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys
EB Games closing stores?

Welp this sucks. Looks as though a few EB Games (Deerfoot Meadows and Okotoks) throughout Calgary are permanently closing their doors. I suppose it was only a matter of time what with downloads and COVID, but I enjoy actually browsing and supporting a small(er) business. Hopefully they were able to place the employees at other stores.

Anyone else seeing this in their neck of the woods?
Team Jetfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 04:58 PM   #2
Stryfe2026
Cylon Centurion
Re: EB Games closing stores?

I’ve been noticing that they some EBs haven’t been getting new stock and are just receiving shipments to fill orders. My local EB has even been shipping consoles and Playd’d stuff to other stores.
Stryfe2026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 05:01 PM   #3
Alexander Quinn
Sarcasti-con

Here in Barrie Ontario both stores have recently reopened, so hopefully they’re staying open. The staff there knows me, and will actually take the time to call me if something comes in that they think I will want. I get better service from EB than any other store.
Alexander Quinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 07:54 PM   #4
riderman
Master of the Universe

For me I go to EB for Games and Toys especially Action Figures and Transformers. I wonder when the PS5 comes out with a digital and a Physical Disc system will the Digital system KILL EB? What are your thoughts and opinions??
riderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 08:18 PM   #5
Stryfe2026
Cylon Centurion

Quote:
Originally Posted by riderman View Post
For me I go to EB for Games and Toys especially Action Figures and Transformers. I wonder when the PS5 comes out with a digital and a Physical Disc system will the Digital system KILL EB? What are your thoughts and opinions??
I think, given the propensity of people to buy from alternate retailers and the confusion regarding orders of collectibles that EB seems to always have, that they are in their way out. Unless, like Toys R Us they can get away from GameStop’s death knell, they might go the way of target.
Old 06-24-2020, 09:54 PM   #6
Lord Scareglow
Whatever

I Sure hope my local EB is reopening, it should have today, I'd be literally crushed, if they shut their doors for good, I get the best service and the most reliable pre-orders from them, I don't know what I'd do if they closed, I have nothing good close to me.
Lord Scareglow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 10:04 PM   #7
Stryfe2026
Cylon Centurion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Scareglow View Post
I Sure hope my local EB is reopening, it should have today, I'd be literally crushed, if they shut their doors for good, I get the best service and the most reliable pre-orders from them, I don't know what I'd do if they closed, I have nothing good close to me.
Are they in a mall? If not they should already have reopened. Even if they are in a mall, in Ontario malls were allowed to open June 19th.
Old 06-25-2020, 01:38 AM   #8
Lord Scareglow
Whatever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stryfe2026 View Post
Are they in a mall? If not they should already have reopened. Even if they are in a mall, in Ontario malls were allowed to open June 19th.
yes they are in a mall, and the mall just opened yesterday (24th), but I have no current confirmation they are back open themselves, but I'm hoping, I might have to pay them a visit in a bit just to make sure
Lord Scareglow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 06:07 AM   #9
riderman
Master of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Scareglow View Post
yes they are in a mall, and the mall just opened yesterday (24th), but I have no current confirmation they are back open themselves, but I'm hoping, I might have to pay them a visit in a bit just to make sure
I too have a favorite EB that located in a mall and they are nice and most pre-orders come through except once because Bandai America lost the rights to Power Rangers and Hasbro acquired them and I lost the chance to get my 5 ZEO Rangers I pre-ordered.

Woodside EB Games kicked the bucket in 2019 before the pandemic. Found out about it when I called them to pre-order ZEO. The guy said they are closing so they will get no new stock.
riderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 12:01 AM   #10
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

So I talked to a lady at one of the other EB games stores to get some insight. Apparently the leases were up at the two stores in Calgary and the landlords decided to raise rent. Couple that with underproducing stores and I guess you have no choice but to vacate. Not sure what the landlords are thinking though; retail in Calgary isn’t exactly in much demand.
Team Jetfire is offline   Reply With Quote