ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion
Go Back   ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion > Action Figure Discussion > Action Figure General Discussion

Old 08-13-2020, 11:49 AM   #661
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys
Re: I open a toy & post it here... VOL 2!

403-2
Hasbro- Star Wars Black Series: Chewbacca

Can we just take a minute to appreciate how great of a job Joonas Suotamo has done in taking over as Chewbacca. Obviously Peter Mayhew was amazing and left some rather large Wookie shoes to fill, and I think Joonas was able to capture the small body movements that Mayhew devised and really showcased how acting is not always about how you speak. This is on full display on Solo and I doubt that anyone who didn’t know better would assume it was The original actor. Given that we have come to the end of the Skywalker Saga, I’m not sure what the future will bring for Chewy, but as he was always one of my favorite characters, I hope something cool.

Pros: There is a lot to love about Black Series Chewbacca: He has an amazing sculpt with a ton of little fur details all over, good articulation that allows for a good range of movement and pose-ability and of course comes with his trademark over the shoulder bandolier and trusty crossbow.

Cons: Overall I have 2 little nitpicks on this figure: I hate how difficult it is to get his gun in his hand, and I hate that the articulation is not such that he can hold the gun with both hands like he can on the Infinity figure. It’s like his standard pose, why didn’t they include functionality for it?

Team Jetfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 02:45 PM   #662
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

404-2
Hasbro- Marvel Legends: Captain America.

Welp. I’m not sure why I thought that this Civil War Captain America would be any different that the Civil War Captain America from the Marvel Studios 10 Years 2 pack (that I literally just opened 13 reviews ago) but alas, it is pretty well identical. Ah well, at least the 2 pack version comes with an unmasked head and a slightly different shield.

Pros: Sold MCU Captain America sculpt with good articulation and his trademark shield. What more could you want?

Cons: The release is a bit light on accessories and should have had an unmasked head/additional fists.

Old 08-17-2020, 12:49 PM   #663
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

405-2
Hasbro- Transformers Prime: Knockout.

So a few years ago, my family and I were lucky enough to have annual passes to Disneyland in California and would go a few times a year. I would often take this opportunity to go to every Target/WalMart and Toys R Us in the vicinity to look for new toys that had not hit Canada yet and that is how I came across Knockout. If I recall correctly it was at some Target in Orange County close to Laguna Beach, but I have never been there again, so I couldn’t really say. At any rate, I remember that after that point, toy hunting in Southern California was never really the same as it seemed that all I could find was empty shelves or the same old peg warmers that I had back home. This continues to this day for any high traffic tourist areas, but if you are willing to drive and make your family stop at every store along the way, you may just get lucky.

Pros: Overall Knockout has a really nice vehicle mode with sleek design and clear windows. The robot mode fits the Prime asthenic nicely and he has a decent amount of articulation, including foot/ankle tilts, which is a big plus.

Cons: His upper body in robot mode is a bit of a mixed bag. Nothing really tabs into place and his arm articulation is hindered by errant vehicle parts. I also don’t understand why he is straight up smiling… Maybe it was supposed to be more of a smirk, but really looks like a genuine smile.

Old 08-18-2020, 04:42 PM   #664
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

406-2
Takasa/Tony- Transformers- C P-15: Rumble & Jaguar

Takasa/Tony? Yeah, sorry about that; These are some knock offs that I picked up to accompany my MP Soundwave. Now I should say that while I don’t make it a normal practice to buy knock off or bootlegged figures, I really have no issue with the practice or people who do as the stuff is usually of lesser quality and not a suitable replacement for the real deal. Yes, there are some standouts, inducing the “Taskasa” brand of which I have a few other MPs from, but I would have rather originals as the KO’s usually feel cheap, are usually loose and could break by just looking at them wrong.

Pros: Depending on which type of fan you were, Rumble was either Red or Blue and as a TV kid, I’m in the “Blue” group so it’s a bit confusing to not call this little fella Frenzy. That said, I’m not calling Ravage by his Japanese moniker: Jaguar so I guess both are getting renamed. Both figures are remarkable for what they are: nearly identical tapes that convert into two completely different, detailed / articulated robot modes that are fantastic upgrades to the original G1 figures.

Cons: As KO’s these figures do have a few little quirks: Some of Rumble’s joints are frighteningly tight and his gun doesn’t fit into his back very well. Ravage has the opposite issue as his leg joints are super loose.

Old 08-18-2020, 04:42 PM   #665
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

Old 08-27-2020, 10:25 AM   #666
WhenGeeksCollide
Cobra Trooper

Marvel Legends Cable (Deadpool 2) Unboxing
https://youtu.be/XCuDHEcT2zU
WhenGeeksCollide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 11:18 AM   #667
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

407-2
Disney Infinity 3.0- Disney Classics: Olaf

What did everyone think about Frozen 2? Overall I liked it, but didn’t capture the magic of the first one. I think I may start reviewing all the Disney Classics as part of my various Toy reviews, so I’m sure I will eventually get to Frozen 2, but in the interim I’ll will say that I enjoyed the additional depth and growth of the “World” of Frozen and the story was remarkably deep for a children’s movie, but the characters were not as engaging and the songs were not as memorable as they were in the first movie. Either way, Disney could have really messed this up and by all accounts it was a decent success.

Pros: What is not to love? It’s Olaf and he likes warm hugs. As is tradition with these Infinity figures, Olaf has a great sculpt that just oozes character and is posed in almost a perfect way for the character.

Cons: Static figure from a failed and cancelled video game series.

Old 09-01-2020, 10:41 AM   #668
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

408-2
Mcfarlane Toys- DC Multiverse: Superman (Unchained Armour)

Not having any context for this figure is a bit of a blessing as I can really just evaluate it for what it is and not have my enjoyment for the piece of pop culture that it is based on sway my opinion. That said, I am unfamiliar with the Unchained story arc and found very little actual images of Superman with this armor so it's fairly safe to assume that this is a more of a one off type look for him. That said, this design kicks all sorts of ass.

Pros: Overall Unchained Superman is an impressive figure. Even in the package you can feel the heft and all for $24.99!?! McFarlane Toys has really raised the bar with these figures. A fantastic sculpt that looks to be based right out of the comic, nice wing/cape additions and a decent level of articulation make this figure a worthy addition to the DC Multiverse line.

Cons: I understand that in the comic Unchained Superman used some sort or axe and shield weapon that would have rounded out this figure very nicely. Also, while the articulation is ok, it's somewhat hindered by his bulky stature.

Old 09-07-2020, 03:07 PM   #669
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

409-2
Hasbro- Transformers Generations: Bumblebee

I kid you not that I just spent 20 minutes writing a review on the Studio Series Movie Bumblebee, as I forgot which Bee I was actually reviewing… If that doesn’t tell you that I a) have too many toys and/or b) Hasbro has released too many Bumblebee’s I’m not sure what to tell you. Anyway, THIS Bumblebee was not a nice combination of both the G1 VW Bug and the new movie look, but rather a design that I think was featured in one of the IDW comics that was a slight homage to the Bayverse movies.

Pros: Overall this is a nice looking figure and I’m sure a plus for any fans of the IDW comic. The Vehicle mode is pretty slick looking, the Transformation is challenging, but satisfying and the robot mode has a nice resemblance to the character. Articulation wise he's pretty well set up and can hit a number of decent poses and comes with a rather interesting weapon that can be combined into one large cannon.

Cons: I’m not sure if this is just on my copy, but the joints are pretty flimsy making it difficult to hold out his weapon. Also the bottom chassis extends past the wheels in the vehicle mode, interfering with wheels and making it not roll on the ground. Lastly and this is a bit of a nitpick, I do not like when they attach arms to a movable shoulder assembly. In this case if you want to lift his arm up, the entire front fender/shoulder moves back, making the figure look silly.

Old 09-07-2020, 03:07 PM   #670
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys