ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion
Go Back   ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion > Action Figure Discussion > Hasbro Toy Discussion

Old 10-30-2020, 06:55 PM   #1041
Zeroflamez
Master of the Universe
Re: Hasbro Power Rangers Lightning Collection Line

Anyone else think the Monsters a bit too Over Priced? $44 like really? The regular figures retail at $25-$30. I get it's a new sculpt and all but still seems kind of steep when Mcfarlane is making Figures like Devastator who are a bigger scale and have much better sculpting at $25. What I don't understand is how Mcfarlane can make brand new sculpts for every figure at a bigger scale with better paint apps and QC than Hasbro and have it cost less despite own renting the license. Mean while Hasbro owns the property and they have mediocre QC, questionable paint apps, re-used molds and they are sold for more than Mcfarlane at every retailer (Except Walmart). I just don't get it.
Zeroflamez is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 07:01 PM   #1042
Grosse Fidelity
Super Friend

I thought the same thing at first but they are 8 inches instead of 6 and they do have more of a deluxe vibe with the extra accessories.
Grosse Fidelity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 07:24 PM   #1043
Zeroflamez
Master of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grosse Fidelity View Post
I thought the same thing at first but they are 8 inches instead of 6 and they do have more of a deluxe vibe with the extra accessories.
Eh, you guys can buy into this Monster line if you want but at $45 there's no way I'm doing it. Not when the head sculpt and paint on the 1993 King Sphinx toy is better than this new one. I'm dead serious just compare the two. The LC King Sphinx doesn't even have any paint on his face other than the eyes. For $45 the least they could have done is paint the rest of the face and maybe give us some shading on the grey to make it look more screen accurate. I mean Mcfarlane just did Devastator which is the same scale and is fully painted with dry brushing and everything for nearly half the price as King Sphinx. I know it sounds like I'm schilling for Mcfarlane but if he can do what he did at that price point and Hasbro can't at a nearly $50 price point something is terribly, terribly wrong. Pumpkinrapper in my opinion is the only one really worth getting if I were to get one. Again, just my 2 cents but I don't think we should be so quick to jump at everything MMPR Hasbro throws us at for nostalgia sake without taking into consideration what we are getting for our money, especially when other companies are giving better looking stuff for less.
Old 10-30-2020, 09:04 PM   #1044
Webs
Man of Spiders

I agree. I understand that these are likely single use molds, but yeah they really should have budgeted for more paint, I'd gladly have taken fully painted faces for both monsters over some of their accessories.
Also, why are they 8 inches tall?
In the show a lot of the monsters, including King Sphinx, were no larger than Goldar. I'm not sure how much the size affects the budget, but again I'd rather have more paint than oversized monsters.
Make the ones that need to be bigger 8 inches, these two didn't.
Webs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 09:41 PM   #1045
ssjgoku22
Mutant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeroflamez View Post
Anyone else think the Monsters a bit too Over Priced? $44 like really? The regular figures retail at $25-$30. I get it's a new sculpt and all but still seems kind of steep when Mcfarlane is making Figures like Devastator who are a bigger scale and have much better sculpting at $25. What I don't understand is how Mcfarlane can make brand new sculpts for every figure at a bigger scale with better paint apps and QC than Hasbro and have it cost less despite own renting the license. Mean while Hasbro owns the property and they have mediocre QC, questionable paint apps, re-used molds and they are sold for more than Mcfarlane at every retailer (Except Walmart). I just don't get it.
Yeah, I think it's too much. $40 would have been much more reasonable. I'll skip Pumpkin Rapper for now (I think it'll be the shelf-warmer of the wave). It's really surprising to see the Zedd and Rita set shelf-warming at a lot of EB Games right now.
ssjgoku22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 10:05 PM   #1046
MorphGrid
Cobra Trooper

Quick question, with my Armored Black Ranger on the way, I managed to snag a potential deal for the SDCC Armored Red/Zeo Gold Ranger. It is pricey, but I'm wondering if I should wait on a possible re-release or bite the bullet.
MorphGrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 10:07 PM   #1047
Webs
Man of Spiders

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssjgoku22 View Post
It's really surprising to see the Zedd and Rita set shelf-warming at a lot of EB Games right now.
I've seen many complaints about the details on Rita's dress being silver instead of gold, and some wanting a different face. Lots of people already have Zedd and are waiting for a single packed Rita because of that. Also some people, myself included, were frustrated when it was revealed that the two pack Zedd has a corrected staff and fully painted hands. It's not that surprising to me that it's shelfwarming.
Webs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 10:13 PM   #1048
StaticShin27
Agent of Shield

It is a bit strange, like they're still $29usd stateside. And deluxe MLs are going for $39cad.

It's like an in-between price between deluxe figures and vehicle sets...but just for canada? King Sphinx's accessory count is equivalent to Apocalypse minus the lightning effect.
StaticShin27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 11:33 PM   #1049
Zeroflamez
Master of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webs View Post
I agree. I understand that these are likely single use molds, but yeah they really should have budgeted for more paint, I'd gladly have taken fully painted faces for both monsters over some of their accessories.
Also, why are they 8 inches tall?
In the show a lot of the monsters, including King Sphinx, were no larger than Goldar. I'm not sure how much the size affects the budget, but again I'd rather have more paint than oversized monsters.
Make the ones that need to be bigger 8 inches, these two didn't.
We shouldn't have to have a trade off. Not at the $45 price range when Mcfarlane has been doing 8inch figures with fantastic paint apps and new sculpts for nearly every figure at the $25 price point. For $45 Hasro really shouldn't be cheaping out like this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorphGrid View Post
Quick question, with my Armored Black Ranger on the way, I managed to snag a potential deal for the SDCC Armored Red/Zeo Gold Ranger. It is pricey, but I'm wondering if I should wait on a possible re-release or bite the bullet.
I'd honestly just wait. You've waited this long, what is waiting a bit longer? Without a doubt they will return to Dragon Shield MMPR Red. MMPR is the cash cow. They'll probably throw it into a weak wave somewhere down the line.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssjgoku22 View Post
Yeah, I think it's too much. $40 would have been much more reasonable. I'll skip Pumpkin Rapper for now (I think it'll be the shelf-warmer of the wave). It's really surprising to see the Zedd and Rita set shelf-warming at a lot of EB Games right now.
Yeah I noticed them shelf warming too. Like 4-6 at each EB I've been to. I ended up buying one a couple of months ago despite already owning Zedd. I can always try to pawn the Zedd off to someone.

Last edited by Zeroflamez; 10-30-2020 at 11:47 PM.
Old 10-30-2020, 11:42 PM   #1050
ssjgoku22
Mutant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeroflamez View Post
We shouldn't have to have a trade off. Not at the $45 price range when Mcfarlane has been doing 8inch figures with fantastic paint apps and new sculpts for nearly every figure at the $25 price point. For $45 Hasro really shouldn't be cheaping out like this.
You're definitely right, but Hasbro knows that the licenses that they have (Marvel, Star Wars, Transformers, GI Joe, and Power Rangers) are worth $$$. They'll hike prices up as much as they can and they know their fanbase will still buy them. The DC stuff looks great, and even at lower price points, they usually shelf-warm.
ssjgoku22 is offline   Reply With Quote