ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion
Go Back   ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion > Action Figure Discussion > Action Figure General Discussion

Old 12-04-2020, 11:16 AM   #771
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys
Re: I open a toy & post it here... VOL 2!

471-2
Jazwares- Fortnite: Rabbit Raider

With all the buzz and hubbub about the new G.I. Joe Classified figures I sometimes forget that there are so many other fun figures that I get to open and a good portion of them are from the Jazwares Fortnite line. Now I can see why someone would pass this figure by on the shelves as it looks absolutely ridiculous, and it is, but I see something pretty fun and amazing, that as luck would have it, aligns with the season in which I am posting this. If you are familiar with the holiday movie “A Christmas Story”, I think you may know what I’m talking about. For those not aware, search it up on Google, or even just turn on the TV as I’m certain it is playing somewhere at the moment. The only disappointing thing is they stopped short with just the outfit instead of going full movie homage (Red Ryder BB Gun anyone?) in favor of a more on-the-nose Easter motif.

Pros: Yes it is ridiculous, but I like the more silly Jazwares sculpts and that includes Rabbit Raider. The sculpt is evocative of a certain infamous bunny Christmas costume, but also is really detailed in its own way with a grenade bandolier. Articulation scheme is excellent and he comes with a number of Easter related accessories including multiple face sculpts (one that looks a lot like Ralphie) an egg shaped backpack, an Easter basket themed pick axe, a few hand held power-ups and of course, the most Easter thing of all: a grenade launcher.

Cons: I mentioned in the bulk of my review that I think this is a clear homage to A Christmas Story and I really wish they went full bore with it. This could have included a football, snowsuit or even turkey shaped backpack, a leg lamp shaped pickaxe and of course a Red Ryder BB gun as a weapon. Also while I like the look of the hood and the way that it attaches, it really limits the head movement.

Team Jetfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 01:05 PM   #772
Toradoch
Super Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Jetfire View Post
471-2
Jazwares- Fortnite: Rabbit Raider
Such a hilarious fig. Thanks for the indepth review and pics!
Toradoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2020, 11:21 AM   #773
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toradoch View Post
Such a hilarious fig. Thanks for the indepth review and pics!
My pleasure! Thanks for reading. More crazy stuff to come haha.
Old 12-08-2020, 11:22 AM   #774
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

472-2
Hasbro- Marvel Legends- Marvel Studios: Skurge and Hela

Seems odd to be opening this figure set up before I open the Ragnarok wave of figures that I have in storage, but what are you going to do? It’s not like I have a solid plan for when I open each figure. I mean, I like to think I’m organized, but not crazy. In any case I was excited to get this set for the character of Skurge given that the actor who plays him is quickly becoming one of my favorites. And why not? Let’s run down Karl Urban’s more impactful characters: 1st you obviously have Skurge- The Executioner from Thor, but also Bones from the JJ Abrams Star Trek Movies, Billy Bucher from the super fun The Boys Amazon series, Judge Dredd from the movie Dredd and one that slipped by me until recently: Eomer from The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers and The Return of the King. If they just gave him a role in a Star Wars movie I think he would win nerd pop culture Bingo!

Pros: Skurge: I really love this figure and not because I love Karl Urban (but is certainly doesn’t hurt); It’s just a well-crafted toy: the overall construction is fantastic, the sculpt is great, articulation useful and not hindered in anyways and the accessories, including his Axe and 2 M-16’s are perfect. Honestly one of the best figures that I have opened in a long time as it delivers exactly what I expected.
Hela: I assume this is a simple repack from the original Thor Ragnarok wave Hela, but that is ok as I think she has a few more accessories. The figure itself is nicely sculpted with some great molded details from the movie costume and typical Marvel Legends “female” articulation. She also comes with 3 fantastic head sculpts: hair slicked back, hair in face and the really fantastic battle crown, which in itself is unreal. Other accessories include a hand holding Thor’s hammer, emulating the scene right before she breaks it and some other magical effects.

Cons: Honestly? Nothing comes to mind. This is a fantastic set and is really a must for any fan of the movie.

Old 12-08-2020, 11:22 AM   #775
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

Old 12-08-2020, 03:13 PM   #776
ghostlurk29
Mutant

All the head sculpts in the set are fantastic. A shame we never got a Pine or Hemsworth head to this level.

Skurge might objectively be the best Marvel Legend figure of all time. Somebody at Hasbro was certainly a Karl Urban fan. Hela would be up there too if not for the wonky righthand and poor fitting cape.
ghostlurk29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2020, 04:33 PM   #777
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostlurk29 View Post
All the head sculpts in the set are fantastic. A shame we never got a Pine or Hemsworth head to this level.

Skurge might objectively be the best Marvel Legend figure of all time. Somebody at Hasbro was certainly a Karl Urban fan. Hela would be up there too if not for the wonky righthand and poor fitting cape.
Agreed 100% on Skurge. He’s such an under rated figure.
Old 12-09-2020, 04:33 PM   #778
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

473-2
Playmates- Classic Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Leonardo.

Has turtle mania finally subsided? Seems like an odd question given that it seems as though TMNT is evergreen like Star Wars and Transformers, but I’m not so sure any more. I suppose I’m not helping what with not buying any of the new stuff that I see, as the new cartoon really does nothing for me, but I can’t help but feel that Nickelodeon did this to themselves with a divisive (at least in my opinion) new show. That said, I suppose I can take heed in the fact that, as an evergreen franchise, another iteration of the brothers will eventually show up.

Pros: I have nothing but love for this series of figures and really have come to appreciate what Playmates was able to provide: A really nice sculpted, fully articulated figure with character specific accessories and a place to store them.

Cons: As with the others, some of the articulation is hindered based on the Shell design. This is more of an issue with the overall turtle design then a fault of the figure though.

Old 12-10-2020, 11:23 AM   #779
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

474-2
Hasbro- Overwatch Ultimates: Ana & Soldier 76.

As mentioned on my last Overwatch figure review: McCree, I have very little connection to the game that these figures are based on, but I really do love their overall design. It also doesn’t hurt that I was able to pick up each of these few sets for $7. That said it is not lost on me that the deep discount that I benefited from was a sign that the Overwatch line had run its course and surely would be a bummer for its supporters.

Pros: Ana- Overall Ana is a very cool looking figure, has a lot of great details including pouches and bandolier and comes with 2 weapons and one blast effect presumably from the game.
Soldier 76- 76 has a great sculpt, but also fantastic articulation providing him with the best pose-ability of the line so far. I also like his weapon and triple missile blast effect.

Cons: Ana- I’m no expert, but if you are making a figure that is known as a sniper and provide a sniper rifle as an accessory, do you think it might be important to sculpt the figure in a way that she can actually hold a sniper rifle with two hands? It’s not that hard as she’s already doing it on the BOX ART. Not sure who gets the blame for this, but what a ridiculous oversight making this figure a total letdown. At least she can hold the hand gun alright, but with mistakes like this, it's no wonder the line did not succeed.

Soldier 76- 76 is a decent figure overall, but has a new pet peeve that I’ve witnessed on a few figures: Molded guns in holsters.

Old 12-10-2020, 11:23 AM   #780
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys