ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion
Go Back   ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion > Action Figure Discussion > Action Figure General Discussion

Old 09-08-2023, 05:29 PM   #1681
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys
Re: I open a toy & post it here... VOL 2!

Team Jetfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2023, 04:37 PM   #1682
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

S-67
Hasbro- Fortnite Victory Royal Series: Jules & Ohm

There is a very specific demographic of individuals that the character of Jules is geared towards and even though it’s not necessary for me, I can REALLY see the appeal. Not to further bury the lead: Jules is one bad ass, hot looking goth girl that I think everyone can appreciate. However, that said, as an action figure she doesn’t really do it for me and this issue is a bit of a carry over complaint from one of my recent Fortnite figure reviews: Skye and Ollie. Why don’t either of these women come with actual guns? Skye comes with amazing swords and a plunger weapon and Jules only really has wrenches, so what is the deal? And while I understand that they have other items in place of a firearm, it is somewhat integral to the source material to include guns of some sort. Was there a reason for no gun? Perhaps a budget thing, or something more sexist or nefarious to the decision? Either way I just think these figures, Jules especially, would have greatly benefited with something.

Pros: I love a lot about this Jules and Ohm, that I just learned was an Amazon exclusive: The sculpt is detailed and looks great and the paint job and tattoos give her such a unique and badass quality that would appeal to many fans of the series. The accessories, including the robotic owl Ohm look and function amazingly and I love that there is a little perch on the back of the backpack for storage and the building tool/guilder has a sizable wingspan.

Cons: Apparently Ohm the glider has some extra functionality that works with the sold separately gliders, but there is zero indication of that on the package so it was a bit of a mystery to me. If nothing else, she should have some with a hanging stand that Ohm could have hung from given that without, she is unable to support the weight of the thing by herself. Also her tank top is made from a rubbery plastic that will surely disintegrate over time. Further to that, whatever image that was on the tank top rubbed off with minimal effort. Lastly she really should have come with some type of gun or rifle.

Old 09-11-2023, 02:24 PM   #1683
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

S-68
Hasbro: Dungeons and Dragons Honor Among Thieves: Red Dragon Themberchaud Diceling.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: I'm a fan of cool looking toys and lately when I see something that may be cool, regardless of the property it is based on, I will usually give it a shot (if the price is right that is). With that said, when I saw these dicelings I was very curious and had to pick at least one up. I mean, why not? It's basically a D&D Transformer, should be good right? (spoiler alert: it is good)

Pros: Basically a small “shell-former” not unlike the original Mattel “rock lords” but with substantially better engineering, design and ability to pose outside of dice mode. These are some of the coolest little “desk toys” that I have seen in a long time and perfect for a D&D fan.

Cons: The transformation to Dice mode is a bit frustrating as you need to fiddle with it quite a bit to make all the panels lined up, but it's not impossible. Also I would have bought them all if they were a bit cheap: $20.99 is just slightly too steep for these guys.

Old 09-12-2023, 04:10 PM   #1684
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

956-2
Toybiz- Lord of the Rings- The Two Towers: Treebeard

Is Treebeard a perfect toy? Far from it. In fact, as compared to many other figures in my collection, he is frustratingly average. The “action” feature is frustrating and interferes with the figure more than anything else, the articulation is annoying given that while there is enough to move it around, he really only has one pose and plastic degradation gives him an overall sticky feeling. That said, I still love it for its amazing overall sculpt, large stature and the fact that I only paid $15 for a figure that feels like it should be worth much-much more.

Pros: Amazing sculpt with a lot of details and an imposing size for a regular priced figure.

Cons: Even though I think the “talking feature” is kind of neat, I would rather that money go into better overall articulation. That said, he IS basically a tree that has not moved much in years, so I guess he’s true to character.

Old 09-13-2023, 06:22 PM   #1685
DanM
Aquanaut

I have the large version of that one. I think I paid $10 more than the tag on yours on clearance somewhere. Possibly one of my favourite action figures ever.
DanM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2023, 01:31 PM   #1686
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanM View Post
I have the large version of that one. I think I paid $10 more than the tag on yours on clearance somewhere. Possibly one of my favourite action figures ever.
It?s funny how these were so sought after and then later put on sale and then sought after once again. I?d love the scaled up version.
Old 10-02-2023, 01:32 PM   #1687
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

957-2
Hasbro- Marvel Legends: Spider-Man Noir

Last Marvel Legends review I was dissecting the MCU, this is the continuation of that.
Ok, here are the totals from the various Phases:

Totals:
P1 total: 6. Great to good: 2.5. Average: 42%
P2 total: 7. Great to good: 4. Average: 47%
P3 total: 12. Great to good: 5. Average: 42%
P4 total: 17. Great to good: 8. Average: 47%

In conclusion, the MCU has always had a bit of a bad track record when it comes to average movies. So while it seems as though the stuff is getting worse, it really is just about the same on average, but can be attributed to overall volumes.

What is on the horizon? Well let's talk about that in the next Marvel Legends review. To be continued…

Pros: I’ll be honest: I was not expecting much from this version of Spider-Man but was pleasantly surprised. Overall, as far as I am concerned, it looks like it’s a solid sculpt that matches the original source material, has a good amount of usable articulation and was able to hit some decent poses despite having a long, hard plastic overcoat. Also, a gun toting figure with working holsters is always a winner in my book. Cool!

Cons: Three issues: 1. Why are his guns futuristic? They should be old school revolvers. 2. Two guns and one holster? The math doesn’t check out there. 3. While this may have been established in the Spiderverse, I think a black fedora would have been an awesome addition.

Old 10-03-2023, 02:34 PM   #1688
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

958-2
NECA- Back to the Future Part 2: Ultimate Doc Brown.

Apparently I forgot to finish my story about how I unknowingly wore a white nationalist symbol (well two in fact) on a hat for a few years under the guise of a nod to Back to the Future. Check out review 799-2 to get up to speed.

So basically we all know from the movie when this baby hits 88 miles per hour, you are going to see some serious shit. So in short for 88=SS and I thought that would be a clever thing to have on a hat.

Turns out that both 88 and SS are not-so-secret dog whistles for anyone wanting to tie themselves to white nationalist groups or Nazi?s.

The SS is probably the most egregious given that it stands for Schutzstaffel who were basically Hitlers secret police. Their insignia was that of two S?s on their uniform. Basically the worst of the worst and responsible for some terrible atrocities.

The 88 is a bit more nuanced, but terrible nevertheless. Because H is the 8th letter of the alphabet, followers had sneakily started to write 88 on their clothes or get it as a tattoo to denote HH or Heil Hitler. This is confirmed on ADL.org which is the website for the anti defamation league.

So to review. I self designed a hat with an emblem that had a pseudo flux capacitor and the letters SS=88, or in accidental racist terms: Schutzstaffel = Heil Hitler.

What the serious fuck?

I still have the hats (yes, hats. I have multiple) but not activity wearing them given that I certainly do not want to come off as an antisemite, but seriously what are the chances that this would happen. The design didn?t set off any alarms with my brother (an accomplice in the design and the one who got the hats stitched) nor the store that they were made at, so I will give self a bit of a pass on my ignorance, but it is enough of a reminder to triple check the stuff you wear out in public as you do not want to be labeled as a (unintentional) racist.

Ok, next time we are going to look at why I can?t wear Pittsburgh Pirates hats any more and discuss when it is ok to start wearing red hats again!

Pros: Pound for pound I think that NECA might be currently the best manufacturer of action figures on the market and Doc is a very good example as to why. The detail and sculpt of McFarlane, the articulation and ability to pose of Hasbro, the accessories of an import figure and the pop culture licenses of Diamond Select. Just amazing.

Cons: Unfortunately for Canadians NECA has the availability of well, NECA given that these are sometimes difficult to come by dependably. Thankfully I?ve found a number of retailers that carry any NECA that I want, but it would be preferable to just get them at my local store or even off Amazon.

Old 10-03-2023, 02:34 PM   #1689
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

Old 10-04-2023, 04:45 PM   #1690
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

959-2
McFarlane Toys- DC Multiverse: Bane.

As is tradition for a completed BAF it?s time to look back at the individual releases and talk about them.

Scarecrow- I basically just reviewed him so he?s still pretty fresh. Overall an excellent sculpt with a lot of moving parts. The detail is crazy and harkens back to a 1990?s McFarlane. The only downside is that it feels unfinished without Bane, but when they are together they are easily the best of the wave.
Wonder Woman- Totally badass sculpt with some nice features including a nice looking cap and sword with included scabbard!
Batman- I can?t recall the story behind this particular version of Batman, but it's still cool nevertheless. The fact that he comes with Joker's head in a case is particularly neat.
Omega ? I like the idea of this figure, but the execution seems to be a bit lacking as compared to the rest of the wave.

Pros: Bane is the perfect use of the BAF program given that he is huge, imposing and worthy of the higher individual price point of the figures. I also love the connectivity between him and Scarecrow and really makes a very unique and imposing figure.

Cons: A few minor things: His head is a bit small for his body, the overall ability to pose is very limited due to the sculpt and of course, his various appendages are a pain in the ass to get into place without constantly falling out.