ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion
Go Back   ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion > Action Figure Discussion > Action Figure General Discussion

Old 10-02-2020, 11:28 AM   #701
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys
Re: I open a toy & post it here... VOL 2!

427-2
Hasbro- Transformers Prime Beast Hunters: Ripclaw

Unfortunately (or fortunately depending on how you look at it) Transformers Beast Hunters was where I slowed way down on collecting Transformers. I guess I was just getting tired of the same thing over and over and didn’t watch the carton so had very little connection to the characters. However the exception is the various “beast characters” that made their debut in the cartoon and toys. Call it nostalgia for the animal /beast figures of Transformers past, but I was really impressed with some of these new “beast figures” and had to pick up the ones I could find. I’ve said it before: I think that The Transformers brand is getting stale and needs to change it up a bit and while it has been done before, I feel a return to Beast Wars or Beast Machines would be a really fun change of pace for the Transformers community.

Pros: As much as I love Transformers vehicles, it is nice to sometimes have a cool looking dragon and for me, it doesn’t get much cooler than Ripclaw. His beast mode is nicely sculpted with an articulated head and jaw, adjustable wings and legs and a really formidable tail that can be tightened up to look like a pseudo scorpion or loosened to look like a typical Dragon. The Transformation is fairly simple, which is typical for a beast type figure, but I’m not complaining. His robot mode also has a decent look, has a good amount of articulation and can use the tail end as a handheld weapon.

Cons: Unfortunately Ripclaw has some loose joints that make it difficult to pose. Additionally I’m not sure what they were thinking with his robot head as it is attached so far down his shoulders that he looks like he is wearing a turtleneck and limits his head rotation. Lastly, while I love the adjustable tail, I’m very concerned at the long term effects on soft rubber plastic. I suppose time will tell.

Team Jetfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 11:29 AM   #702
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

Old 10-03-2020, 11:00 AM   #703
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

428-2
McFarlane Toys- Fortnite: Dire.

Well, I suppose you could call this guy the star that broke the camel's back cause once I decided to pick this guy up, it seemed as though I was down for the entire line. But look at this thing, can you honestly blame me? While Dire is clearly a Fortnite character (that’s what the box says anyways) but he’s also a very unique looking action figure that would appeal to any fan of cool looking stuff. I mean, just look at it, he’s a shotgun wielding punk rock werewolf with a hammer pick, ninja sword and nunchucks. Good lord do I love this Fortnite line.

Pros: There is a lot to love about Dire; in fact almost everything is fantastic. The detailed sculpt is nothing short of amazing, the articulation works for pretty well any poses that you would want and the accessories, including a shotgun, hammer/pick melee and a ninja sword, make this figure a total badass. If you are on the fence about this line I get it, but if you are a fan of cool toys, you really need to do yourself a favor and pick this guy up.

Cons: 3 really minor things: I wish he had working nunchucks, rather than molded ones, I wish that his ninja sword was able to be removed from the sheath and I wish it was a bit easier to get the weapons into his hands.

Old 10-05-2020, 11:17 AM   #704
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

429-2
Disney Toy Box- Disney Classics: Minnie Mouse & Figaro

As hinted at before, I thought it might be fun to re-watch the Disney Animated library and discuss as part of my various Disney toy reviews. I’m going to stop short of trying to rank them all as there are just so many and I learned from my previous attempts to rank movies that I often change my mind over the months of doing these reviews making it hard to not change my opinion every time I revisit the list. Most of these should be on Disney Plus, but some of the more obscure ones may be from my personal collection; either way I will note the availability in my review. As for what is eligible to be reviewed, I’m using the Disney Release listed on Wikipedia (here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...Pictures_films ) and including most fully animated and combo live action/animated films depending on availability. Hope you enjoy them and that it might persuade you to watch a few old classics or fun new movies that you may have passed on.

Pros: I’m so happy to see that Mickey will get some company on my Toy Box shelf and can’t wait to pick up all the new classic Disney figures that have popped up at my Disney Store. In fact I could never really understand why an Infinity character like Time was produced and released prior to the FAB 5 (aka the classic Disney characters), but I’m not the person making the big bucks in charge of such decisions. At any rate Minnie Mouse looks fantastic in Toy Box form in her classic polka dot outfit with matching bow and classic yellow shoes. There is a decent amount of articulation and possibility, all things considered, and she comes with her pet cat Figaro, who even has a poseable neck.

Cons: Ultimately Minnie Mouse does a good job for what it is: An articulated figure of a beloved character. If you are looking for something with way more poseability and accessories you may need to look elsewhere, but for the price, I’m happy to have her in my collection.

Old 10-06-2020, 11:11 AM   #705
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

430-2
Hasbro- Star Wars Black Series: Tie Fighter Pilot

Rating of worst to best of the Star Wars movies continued; see reviews 215-2, 218-2, 221-2, 241-2, 245-2, 247-2, 266-2, 272-2, 293-2, 299-2, 321-2, 327-2, 348-2, 352-2, 354-2, 375-2 & 381-2 for the previous instalments:

So I’ve taken a break from ranking and reviewing the Star Wars movie after The Last Jedi because I wanted to take some time to reflect on the most recent and final chapter of the saga, Episode 9 The Rise of Skywalker and somehow fit it into my list. For those not keeping track at home my current ranking to date are as follows:

11. SW 2- Attack of the Clones
10. SW 3- Revenge of the Sith
9. SW 1- The Phantom Menace
8. Solo- A Star Wars Story
7. SW 8- The Last Jedi

As it happens I feel like this is the perfect place to include Rise of Skywalker as I think there are a lot of really fun elements, but still has some challenges that really make it a middle tier Star Wars movie and makes it’s placement perfect next to The Last Jedi for similar reasons.

For me, Episode 9 represents a bittersweet end for what is more commonly known as the Skywalker Saga. It’s not unlike the feeling I got after watching Episode 3, but perhaps a bit more hopeful given that Star Wars’ future after The Revenge of the Sith was certainly in question, so I suppose I am thankful with Disney’s involvement. That said, one thing that I am legitimately sad about is how divided the fandom is. I suppose this is nothing new as this issue has been plaguing the series since Return of the Jedi, but it is still bothersome to me. For that reason I’ve stopped engaging in arguments on the various internet forums as it’s clear that people are entrenched in their beliefs, as I am, and we’ll eventually just have to agree to disagree. However, one issue that really gets me frustrated is the revisionist history that people have given the prequels. I suppose time heals all wounds, but to say that the sequels are worse than the prequels and that Disney killed Star Wars is silly and reeks of the same old “whiney fan boy who didn’t get there way” that I saw after the prequels and exemplified in the embarrassing documentary called “ The People Versus George Lucas”. Ugh, I’m going to have to stop there cause I’m going off on quite the tangent. Next review will have some general thoughts about The Rise of Skywalker and then my normal Good, Bad and Ugly segments.

Pros: I think I have loved the Tie Fighter design since the very first time I saw it on the big screen and I think that Hasbro has done a really nice job on the sculpt of this figure, or rather did a good job with the chest up, as the lower section is really just a black jumpsuit. That said, let's just sit back and appreciate the screen accurate helmet, hose and chest computer detail; I mean, it’s almost perfect. I also appreciate both the level of articulation and additional accessories including a standard issue Empire Blaster and holster.

Cons: As with some of my past Darth Vader figures, the design of the Tie Fighter pilot looks to be a bit silly when taken out of context from the source material. It was a fairly rare sight to see a Tie Pilot outside of the TIE Fighter cockpit so to see this relatively short figure clad in black with a rather large black helmet on, you can only help but think it’s a bit odd looking. No this is not a knock on an excellent figure, but rather an observation that perhaps a removable helmet feature could have really made this figure go from great to amazing.

Old 10-07-2020, 11:32 AM   #706
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

431-2
Hasbro- Marvel Legends: Iron Man

So, full disclosure if anyone reading this is keeping score: It has been a very look time since I’ve written a new review. I banked a lot of reviews back in early fall so this will be somewhat seamless, but us with most of you, I’m dealing with all the shit that is going on in the world and didn’t feel much like writing about action figures. What makes it particularly crappy is that I’m writing this about a week after the news of the untimely passing of Chadwick Bosman to which I’m still sad about. Not because of the implication on the MCU, they are only movies after all, but more so his impact on culture and relatively young passing; it’s just hard to imagine. I’ll cap this off, and relate it back to toys. In saying that I suppose this review is only fitting seeing as his first appearance in Civil War was, for me, the underrated part of an extraordinary comic book movie. Sure Spider-Man’s intro was great, but that was a given. Black Panther's introduction was fantastic and only progressed for the better over the next few movies.

Pros: I should really take inventory of my various Iron Men as it is not clear to me if I have this particular version in my collection thus far. Either way I like the design and sculpt, and like the included blast effects,

Cons: While this is a similar issue with all Iron Men suits, the articulation is really hindered by the sculpt. I’m not really expecting Spider-Man level possibility, but a touch more ankle movement would go a long way.

Old 10-08-2020, 01:06 PM   #707
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

21-R
Mcfarlane Toys- Spawn Series 9- Manga Spawn.
Approx Release Date: 1997
Current Price and Availability: $50.00

https://www.ebay.com/itm/McFarlane-s...MAAOSwAnxcvjes

I can’t say for sure, but I think that this was my first actual Spawn figure. The time is a bit hazy for me, given that I just turned 18 at the time of his release and if I’m being honest I’m not sure that I got him until a few years after he was released as I was fairly loyal to Star Wars at the time and did really have the money to blow on other lines. In fact, I was never really that much of a Spawn fan. Sure I knew about the Image produced comics and other available mediat at the time, but he was never really my guy, often opting for other lesser known Image characters like the MAXX and Pitt.That said, who could resist this design? It was and still remains to be one of the most dynamic looking figures in my collection and eventually led me down the MacFarlan path of figures, which I am still enjoying to this day.

Pros: I’m not 100% sure, but I feel there was eventually a Manga adaptation produced that was based on Spawn Character and if that is true I really need to check it out, if not to find out where that bug motif came from. I mean it's all there: the wings, the pincers and the other bug teamed figures of this wave. In any case the mould and the sculpt is so beautiful that to this day still remains as one of my favorite figures in my collection. I mean, it looked like mech before Gundam Wing came to North America and I was smitten. Outside of that He has a decent amount of articulation, by 90’ MacFarlane standards, and comes with an amazing looking sword and removable wings. Also, it was only after doing some research for this review that I learned that he has a removable helmet that reveals a pop up “burnt” face underneath; how did I not know this?

Cons: A few minor things that you would really chalk up to this figure being 20 years old, but the arm blade came unglued and the sword became rather bent over time.

Old 10-09-2020, 01:36 PM   #708
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

432-2
Hasbro- Transformers Prime: Bulkhead.

Considering how I write my reviews way in advance of posting this will be old news at this point, but for those who have not had a chance to take in the new Transformers Siege series on Netflix, I really recommended it. Not since Transformers Prime has a cartoon actually kept my interest for 1 episode, let alone an entire, albeit short, season. I’m going to eventually review each episode for some upcoming Transformer posts coming up here, but without burying the lead, I will say that I really enjoyed it. Yes there are some issues that will become apparent over the next few reviews, but overall the series is a step in the right direction for a franchise that was built on animation.

Pros: Full disclosure, I adore Bulkhead so this review will be fairly one sided. That said, the figure earns my pre-set praise having a solid, cartoon accurate vehicle mode, an challenging yet not-too-complicated transformation and a fun, well-articulated well sculpted robot mode. And while my favorite Bulkhead is the Voyager sized figure from the Animated Series line (featured in my short lived retro toy reviews), this Prime figure does the character justice.

Cons: I’ll just come out and say it: his weapon is stupid and who ever designed it should feel bad. Who of us, including the kids that this figure is intended for, would not have liked a non-gimmicked wrecking ball on a chain over the light up / spring loaded clump of parts that we actually got?

Old 10-09-2020, 01:37 PM   #709
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

Old 10-10-2020, 01:01 PM   #710
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

433-2
Hasbro- Marvel Legends Riders: Ghost Rider.

I can’t help but feel that this “riders” was 100% predicated on releasing a classic Ghost Rider with his bike and to be honest, I could not be happier as this is a perfect pairing worthy of its own line. I guess I’m tipping my hat on this one a bit, but let’s be real, this figure and motorbike rules. Not only does it appropriately update the 6 inch toybiz figure that was released with a more 90’s style bike / stand, but it also gives the 6” line scaled vehicles that can actually fit on a toy shelf. (looking at you Animated Series Batwing and Black Series Tie Fighter)

Pros: Overall Ghost Rider has a really nice sculpt based on a more classic Ghost Rider look, decent articulation that fits well on the bike and a nice chain whip accessory that was missing from the single figure release. The bike is the winner in this set as it is nicely detailed, has some nice sculpted details and has some fantastic removable flame effects.

Cons: As an admittedly fair-weather fan of the character, It’s not really clear to me if this version of Ghost Rider is based on a specific look or rather just a flaming skull guy on a general motorcycle. Also, while the head sculpt is fantastic, the jaw seems to be attached at an odd place making his face look odd when his mount is open. Lastly, while I love the chain whip, it’s made from soft plastic and just sort of droops there like a wet noodle.