ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion
Go Back   ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion > Action Figure Discussion > Action Figure General Discussion

Old 01-17-2017, 07:00 PM   #1
canprime
Master of the Universe
canprime's Ebay Auctions
Why do you collect Funko POP figures?

I was just wondering, for those who collect them.

Personally I don't understand why. Obviously everyone has their own preferences, and I am not trying to put down anyone who collects them.

I just wanted to get an idea of why someone collects them when, in most cases, you can get more character accurate figures.

Thanks in advance.
canprime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 08:29 PM   #2
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys
Re: Why do you collect Funko POP figures?

Actually a great question. I see a vision of the future, like in Wall-e, where we are literally downing in Funko Pops. There are so many everwhere.
Team Jetfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 08:49 PM   #3
abemecca
Cobra Trooper

They are cheap and you can get every character from any medium. They are an easy impulse buy.
abemecca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 09:13 PM   #4
Hoffman
Agent of Shield

I've grabbed a couple for myself, but mostly damaged box ones I didn't want to sell.

I honestly see them having popularity for a limited time. I wouldn't quite call them a fad, but specific form factors tend to only last for a certain amount of time.
Hoffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 03:14 AM   #5
Robimus
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by canprime View Post
I was just wondering, for those who collect them.

Personally I don't understand why. Obviously everyone has their own preferences, and I am not trying to put down anyone who collects them.

I just wanted to get an idea of why someone collects them when, in most cases, you can get more character accurate figures.

Thanks in advance.
They work great on a lot of levels. A lot of people collect favorite characters for instance, so there is one niche.

They are relatively easy to find, and this helps a lot for people in general. Yeah a Marvel Legends Black Panther is great, but they are never, ever, ever on store shelves. If you like Black Panther, picking up the pop version is low maintenance - one trip to the mall and you are set.

We also see properties that don't otherwise get merch. Say Pinky and the Brain, Big Trouble in Little China, Sixteen Candles, Karate Kid, so on.

They appeal as much to women as they do to men. Yes, women buy and collect action figures as well but not nearly as much, or as often as men do.

And, as previous mentioned, they are easy impulse buys.

Visit the official TFcon Toronto Website for all the details!
Robimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 01:34 PM   #6
MULTIPLEX
Decepticon

There are cheaper KOs right?

MULTIPLEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 05:03 PM   #7
turtle power eh
Jedi Knight

Ok, I confess: I'm a funko addict. Maybe I can shed a bit of light as to why people collect 'em.

First off, and I don't take offence to this by any means but the "why someone collects them when, in most cases, you can get more character accurate figures." is really a mute point...the same could be said for anyone who collects Marvel Legends, or 6" Black Series figure, "why buy ML/BS when you can buy Hot Toys?" for many the simple answer is "I could buy 10 Legends for the same price as a Hot Toys figure"...its a completely different scene on all fronts. For some: its cost, for others its quantity, or even display space. I buy a lot of legends, a lot of black series and have a few hot toys figures and other higher end figures and statues BUT i also collect Pops, and blind box figures. I'm all over the map and at some point need to say "I'm done with ____ and I'm not buying anymore of them".

As for Pops! ; I think they are pretty cool and its not very often that you can mash so many characters from an unlimited supply of properties and have them all fit in together without looking out of place. They are also fairly cheap considering the going rate for "toys". My GF is actually into them too, so it kind of gives us something to collect together. It's actually quite amazing that you can instantly recognize many pop culture characters when they are almost all sculpted to look alike...i guess they have character? I'm sure the bubble with burst at some point (a la beanie babies), but the resale value can be HUGE. I figure its only a matter of time before we start liquidating many of our Pops (and various other funko products) and only really keep the ones we are very fond of. We don't buy to flip, but its fun tracking your collection and seeing what many are selling for. Heres a link to our collection...its sort of embarassing considering how many we have accumulated over the past few years:

http://www.poppriceguide.com/guide/m...3HXU74SRNPA38/

Last edited by turtle power eh; 01-18-2017 at 05:25 PM.
turtle power eh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 08:20 PM   #8
BoNKerS
Cobra Trooper

^ Hawt damn you got some POPS!!!
BoNKerS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 09:02 PM   #9
megashockwave
Red Shirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle power eh View Post
Ok, I confess: I'm a funko addict. Maybe I can shed a bit of light as to why people collect 'em.

First off, and I don't take offence to this by any means but the "why someone collects them when, in most cases, you can get more character accurate figures." is really a mute point...the same could be said for anyone who collects Marvel Legends, or 6" Black Series figure, "why buy ML/BS when you can buy Hot Toys?" for many the simple answer is "I could buy 10 Legends for the same price as a Hot Toys figure"...its a completely different scene on all fronts. For some: its cost, for others its quantity, or even display space. I buy a lot of legends, a lot of black series and have a few hot toys figures and other higher end figures and statues BUT i also collect Pops, and blind box figures. I'm all over the map and at some point need to say "I'm done with ____ and I'm not buying anymore of them".

As for Pops! ; I think they are pretty cool and its not very often that you can mash so many characters from an unlimited supply of properties and have them all fit in together without looking out of place. They are also fairly cheap considering the going rate for "toys". My GF is actually into them too, so it kind of gives us something to collect together. It's actually quite amazing that you can instantly recognize many pop culture characters when they are almost all sculpted to look alike...i guess they have character? I'm sure the bubble with burst at some point (a la beanie babies), but the resale value can be HUGE. I figure its only a matter of time before we start liquidating many of our Pops (and various other funko products) and only really keep the ones we are very fond of. We don't buy to flip, but its fun tracking your collection and seeing what many are selling for. Heres a link to our collection...its sort of embarassing considering how many we have accumulated over the past few years:

Quite a nice collection, but its nothing to be embarrassed or ashamed about. With the sheer number and variety of pops available it is really easy to pick up ones based on your favorite characters, and you can accumulate a fair number without even realizing it. To put it in perspective, check out my collection:

http://www.poppriceguide.com/guide/m...FC21P6GHPSK7Z/
megashockwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 10:28 AM   #10
barfallo
Agent of Shield

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle power eh View Post

Nice collection! I have a few POPs but not many.