ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion
Go Back   ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion > Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 02-16-2012, 01:53 PM   #11
pud333
Master of the Universe
Re: The Walking Dead TV Series Discussion(Spoilers)

The Walking Dead is a very good drama, but as far as originality goes, it's pretty cliche. I've seen a LOT of Zombie films, and it is clear the writers have seen the same ones That said, I really enjoy the show. It's #3 in my top three shows. #1 being Game of Thrones and #2 being Boardwalk Emprie.

The season 2.5 opener was great. It's interesting to see that all the stuff Shane was saying, about how Rick can't do what is necessary, really is bullshit in the end. Rick is not a shoot first, ask questions later, kind of person. He'll reason first as best he can. With someone like Hershel, he knows he can't just bark orders at him or even kill him. But with those two goons, he knew what was up. When those guys were brandishing their weapons, they weren't just bragging; that was a show of force, and Rick knew it. If you've ever been in a real life situation where you feel your life is being threatened by someone else, you certainly know it, even if the person is smiling when he talks. Plus, I'm sure Rick saw Tru Blood, so he knows that one dude was a bad guy, lol.

Shane has got to go. He's just irritating now, but I understand the show needs a character like him; otherwise you'd never have any real strife in the group and everyone would follow Rick like sheep. The showdown between those two is inevitable. Shane is gonna be put in a grave, that's for sure. Personally, the character of Shane has come as far as I think he can go. At this point it's either dead or a 180 into redemption somehow, which I don't se happening.

I just hope they don't drag this series out too long. I find when shows get to the 4th or 5th year mark, they start to wear out their welcome. Some earlier than that. Heroes would have been an awesome show had it only been for one season. Lost would have been wicked if they had wrapped it up after 2 or 3 seasons. The problem I have with network television is that once they have a good thing, they keep milking it until all the life is sucked out of it. I know Walking Dead has been extended to more episodes in season 3, but I'd rather 6-12 lean episodes with a lot of meat to chew on, than 16-22 where you have a bunch of fatty filler. I like how HBO does it. 6-12 episodes. Last season of Boardwalk Empire was KILLER. Every episode was awesome.

Last edited by pud333; 02-16-2012 at 01:58 PM.
pud333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 08:54 PM   #12
Robimus
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpl. Chrissandwich View Post
And as for breaking for holidays, that must be a AMC thing, because most shows I watch dont do that.
I don't watch a lot of TV but I've always found the opposite to be true. New shows seem to debut in September, break over Dec/Jan then return with new episodes for the spring.

Maybe I'm just behind the times. It could just be that there is no norm anymore. Heck Game of Thrones starts in April every time.

As for Boardwalk Empire, I was very dissapointed in season 2 So much so that I'm not going to watch the show anymore when it gets rolling again.

I love Game of Thrones as well.

Visit the official TFcon Toronto Website for all the details!
Robimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 02:33 PM   #13
Hantei
Master of the Universe

So this past Sunday's episode., haha, I completely forgot that Lori crashed her car until they did the follow up at the beginning. Hershel certainly has come around, refering to zombies as walkers now, even willing to execute the idiot that jumped off the roof so he wouldn't suffer. At the end there, very interesting how Lori is manipulating Rick into killing Shane.

Oh and apparently Shane and Andrea are gonna be at the Calgary Expo this year! Definitely wanna be there for the inevitable The Walking Dead panel that'll happen.
Hantei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 03:25 PM   #14
Cpl. Chrissandwich
Clonetrooper

I didnt mind the last episode, I did like how Hershel is seeing reason now and loved how he put shane in his place!

However, I have one problem...Who is Maggie! I know her from somewhere, but can't think of anything. Is this her first acting job?
I mean the actress not the character.
Old 02-23-2012, 03:33 PM   #15
pud333
Master of the Universe

Okay, Lori gives me the heebie-jeebies. She's totally channelling her inner Lady Macbeth these days. She's the type to move from one dude to another, whispering evil shit to them, lol.

Glenn freezing was odd, but I guess I can understand the rational behind it. He and Maggie aren't meant to last.

Overall the episode was just okay. But then, not every one of them can be winners
Old 02-28-2012, 03:28 PM   #16
pud333
Master of the Universe

Last episode was entertaining. I mean, not much happens, but at least there was some good zombie killing. Curious to see if they do in fact kill that kid. It's a dog eat dog world they live in, but at what point does one lose their humanity? For all intents and purposes, this kid is probably not that big a threat, but it's that "what if?" scenario, and is that enough to justify killing him? Interesting. I probably wouldn't if I were in that situation, but then, I don't have a family to protect.
Old 02-28-2012, 04:42 PM   #17
Robimus
Super Moderator

I don't think, or hope, that they won't kill the kid. Rick pretty much makes his decision on that with his actions with Shane this episode.

He's not going to leave someone behind or allow someone to die.

As well, while he didn't have a choice, the kid did help save Shane too. That should earn him some points.

I do hope that the show doesn't ever get to the point where the heroes stop being heroes, Shane aside of course. It will lose its heart if it does that.

Old 03-02-2012, 02:19 PM   #18
pud333
Master of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robimus View Post
I do hope that the show doesn't ever get to the point where the heroes stop being heroes, Shane aside of course. It will lose its heart if it does that.
Me too. Part of the struggle is, do you let survial dictate every decision, or can you maintain some semblance of humanity and society? I really do believe that humanity isn't just about survival. Values matter. (This is something that seems to be dying out in Boardwalk Empire. Richard Harrow, my favorite character, seems to be one of only a few characters that holds on to any sort of values, like loyalty.) So I'm interested to see where they take this. It's clear by now that there are certain risks Rick will take, and certain ones he won't. To me, this kid is different than the two yahoos that Rick blew away.

Last edited by pud333; 03-02-2012 at 02:22 PM.
pud333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 03:09 AM   #19
pud333
Master of the Universe

Well. Looks like they killed off the last character to stay steadfast to his morals. It might turn out to be a mistake, since I think shows like this need characters like Dale, but Dale sort of annoyed me, so I'm good with his death. They could always introduce someone new to take up that mantle.
Old 03-05-2012, 03:20 AM   #20
Robimus
Super Moderator

Rick is still solid enough on the moral front I think, maybe by luck, but I really don't think he could have pulled the trigger in any case.

Was anyone else rooting for the zombie to get Carl. Man, that kid took an annoying turn. Like he was going through the terrible twos in Zombieland.