ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion
Go Back   ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion > Action Figure Discussion > Action Figure General Discussion

Old 09-11-2017, 03:54 PM   #61
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys
Re: I open a toy & post it here... VOL 2!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xtreme987 View Post
Damn ... 11 shelves on the 1 wall. I think that's a record. LoL
No really nice collection you have going there.
Thank you! The top shelves are pretty small, but I guess it still counts!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharkdog View Post
That is absolutely a tight fit.
Yeah, little smaller than I wanted, but beggars can't be choosers. I wish I had the space to showcase all the great stuff there, but that would be insane.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TightyMhor View Post
Very nice!
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle power eh View Post
Dude! love that you have a split shelf in the detolf cabinet...oh yeah, nice collection too haha
Two plastic Dollarama frames with a glass insert from another Dollarama fram did the trick. The 6" figures do not need that head room.
Team Jetfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 03:56 PM   #62
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

2-001
Hasbro- Transformers Combiner Wars: Shockwave

I was always a fan of Shockwave from the early days of the Transformers. He really had that look and sound that was quite different from the others and it made for a unique robotic character; I also thought his futuristic space gun mode totally kicked ass. When I was around 10 a neighbour of mine was getting rid of some of his old toys and offered to sell me his Shockwave. Sure. it was missing a few accessories, wasn’t purple and had an enormous trigger dong, but I was pretty impressed with my luck.

I’d later find out that this was either a Shockwave bootleg figure or the Radio Shack release of the same character nicknamed appropriately “Shack-wave” but I feel that, aside from the trigger dick, it was more or less the same as the Transformer release and in my book still considered a win for me.

Over the years Shockwave has seen a number of iterations, some better than others, that do well to capture the overall look of the classic Shockwave. Much like Megatron, the biggest differences to his G1 counterpart on these new figures is to make him a Tank for an alt mode. I suppose this is a fair compromise given the state of toy guns as playthings; even if it is a kick-ass space gun. This is why I love this figure as his alt mode is is just that, a kick-ass space gun! Granted not exactly full size, but given that it is to be used with the equally kick-ass Combiner Wars Bruticus, I totally love how they incorporated it to the combiner wars theme.

The robot mode is articulated well and certainly captures his iconic look down to the one eye head and laser pistol left hand. The gun mode looks good and certainly channels a G1 design, but as the legs are now incorporated in the body of the weapon, the handle is a bit lacking. Perhaps this was to help its 3rd mode; some type of silly spaceship? Doesn’t really matter to me as he will never leave Bruticus’ hands.

Overall I like Shockwave a lot. These little mini figures continue to impress me with their play value for money spend and I certainly appreciate the nostalgia factor with him once again being a kick-ass space gun.

Pros: Nice little figure for the cost, space gun mode has a great G1 vibe, nice robot mode.

Cons: Weak 3rd mode, little tiny handle.

Old 09-13-2017, 11:53 AM   #63
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

2-002
Hasbro- Transformers Titans Return: Chromedome

Looking back at cartoons and toy lines of the 80’s after all I these years it's now very apparent that the special characters that we hold so dear were likely the result of a split second choice from an intern who was coming close to a deadline and had to come up with names pretty quick. Granted, if I had to come up with a series of “head” specific robot names, I would certainly eventually end up with a gem like Chromedome. Thinking about it a bit it is an odd choice especially considering that in the cartoon he was know as Chromedome well before he became a Headmaster. It's kind of like naming your daughter Destiny and surprised that she becomes a stripper.

Name aside, the character is pretty special to me. Way back in Christmas 1989 I received him as a gift and I instantly became a fan for no other reason then that he was mine (funny how that works). I clamored for more media on the character, but given that the cartoon was done after his short appearance in Rebirth I was left with a bit of a void. It was partially filled with a small appearance in a UK Transformers Comic Annual that my brother and I picked up on a trip to England, but the story was more about Chromedome’s Headmaster partner Stylor and constituted more of a short story. Unbeknownst to me until the internet age, Chromedome did play a huge part in the Japanese Headmasters series, too bad the rest of the series is basically unwatchable. As one of my G1 favorites I was super excited to see his addition to Titans Return and felt it almost necessary to check him out as soon as I got him.

On the whole he is everything that I look for in a modern Transformer. True to the original, satisfying to transform and fun to play with. My only gripe is with the overall feel of the new figures with so many gaps that they look somewhat unfinished, but I assume it is par for the course on these new figures. I also love that they kept the feature that the little robot head can act as a driver; I cannot stress how much this increased the playability for me as a kid.

Overall I really enjoy Chromedome. Yes I was going to love him regardless, but I really feel that he is a solid offering. In truth I’m moving away from Transformers as a brand to collect, but certainly happy to finally have him in my collection.

Pros: Great representation of a personal fav Gen 1 character, great transformation, has a little driver!

Cons: New manufacturing process makes plastic section seam unfinished.

Old 09-15-2017, 10:03 AM   #64
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

003-2
Disney Elite Series- Star Wars: Darth Vader

I’m not going to even bury the lead, for the money this is an incredible figure. Much like Kylo, Vader has great detail. multiple layers of soft goods, great articulation all for $45 and much cheaper if you can find him now on clearance at the Disney Store Locations. It has honestly been years since I have seen a figure like this for the price point. If there was a downside I would say that the scale at 10” is a bit awkward for most collectors that are more familiar with the 12” standard size. Will it replace your Hot Toys Vader? Of course not, but for the price, it is a heck of alot of figure for the price. My only hope is that they continue with the line, but I’m not holding my breath as there has been zero information about new releases and I just can’t see them making any money.

Pros: Great likeness, realistic soft goods, good accessories and articulation, good price point.

Cons: 10” size class, limited figures in the series.

Old 09-18-2017, 12:01 PM   #65
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

004-2
Mega Bloks- Call of Duty: Advanced Enforcer.

I’m a big fan of these Call of Duty Mega Bloks sets and have picked up a few over the years so when I came across these mini sets at my local Dollarama for $4 it was hard to pass up. It’s a pretty standard MB mini figure sporting a decent amount of articulation for such a small figure. I do like how they incorporated the exo-suit that has been a part of the games in the past few years. Overall it looks pretty nice and does not get in the way of hinder the articulation too much. He comes with two BFGs and interchangeable ammo canisters that are perfect for loosing immediately. Included is also a random crate for holding nothing in particular and a rather odd stand that is perhaps used for target practice? I don’t know, the guy has two automatic machine guns strapped to his arms and is likely not built for accuracy, but I digress, it's extra stuff to fill the box.

One point of contention for this figure; on the package it clearly shows a black soldier, I was expecting a black soldier and honestly wanted the black soldier, however out of the box it's just a white guy. Not sure if it is one of those “actual product may be different then shown” situations, but I think it would be a bit of a bummer for some kid who was really wanting the figure as shown on the package.

Pros: Fun little articulated figure with cool accessories at a great price point

Cons: Racially indeterminate.

Old 09-20-2017, 09:36 AM   #66
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

005-2

Hasbro- Marvel Legends: War Machine.

Between the two, I have always liked War Machine better than Iron Man. Not really sure why, but I think it has to do with his silver and grey color scheme and the fact that Tony has always been a bit of a pompous prick as compared to the more measured Roady. I also like is additional armaments that cover the suit, especially that shoulder canon; I’ve always been a sucker for a good shoulder cannon.

The figure itself is decent with a good likeness, but as with these Iron Suit figures, has rather limited mobility. I suppose it makes sense given he is basically a tin man, but a better range of motion for better poses would be appreciated. I will give credit to the open masked head sculpt as it looks pretty great and could easily pass for Dom Cheetal for all the MCU collectors.

Pros: Solid figure all around with nice face sculpt and a shoulder cannon!

Cons: Somewhat limited mobility due to the suit.

Old 09-20-2017, 10:00 AM   #67
Sharkdog
Premium Blend

Pretty good War Machine! I've thought about picking it up for the open head, but I always realise that the ML's are a tad bigger than the Figuarts (what I wanted to use the head for). Oh well!
Sharkdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 09:42 AM   #68
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

Yeah the head is really nice, but the rest is kinda meh; more weapons could be nice.
Old 09-22-2017, 09:49 AM   #69
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

2-006
Mega Bloks- Call of Duty: Jetpack Fighter.

Another COD Mega Bloks purchase and of the two I think I like this figure better; who can say no to an awesome space soldier with a jetpack? Clearly not me.

I also very much appreciate that they included a useable accessory in the form of a base and clear stand to for his/her flight mode. I'm not sure if this is blasphemous to say, but I actually prefer Mega Bloks over Lego; I just appreciate a posable mini figure as well as never understood the concept of buying a building set to build random items out of a specific set of pieces. If i’m buying the Death Star, I’m sure as hell building a Death Star and keeping it as a Death Star. However, I also recognize that I was rooting for Will Ferrel in the Lego movie; some stuff can be collectable and there is nothing wrong with that.

Pros: Detailed figure with a nice stand and jet pack.

Cons: nothing.

Old 09-22-2017, 05:06 PM   #70
E Mikd
Red Shirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Jetfire View Post
2-006
Mega Bloks- Call of Duty: Jetpack Fighter.

Another COD Mega Bloks purchase and of the two I think I like this figure better; who can say no to an awesome space soldier with a jetpack? Clearly not me.
I think this is my favourite piece from Mega Bloks. That and the scuba guy with the flippers.
E Mikd is offline   Reply With Quote