ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion
Go Back   ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion > Action Figure Discussion > Hasbro Toy Discussion

Old 09-25-2022, 04:16 PM   #5951
ghostlurk29
Mutant
Re: Marvel Legends discussion

They just need to add a bonus Ghost Rider themed Ironman or Spiderman, and it will fund to Mephisto no problem.
ghostlurk29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2022, 05:29 PM   #5952
Zeroflamez
Master of the Universe

I can't see this being funded anymore and even if it does, it will just be the car and out dated figure. I doubt it will hit 12000 now, especially with no Robbie figure.
Zeroflamez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2022, 05:52 PM   #5953
canprime
Master of the Universe
canprime's Ebay Auctions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeroflamez View Post
I can't see this being funded anymore and even if it does, it will just be the car and out dated figure. I doubt it will hit 12000 now, especially with no Robbie figure.

Well if it does just barely fund (less than 10,000) it will be one of the rarest Haslabs. I think only the Khetanna didn't pass 10,000, or barely did. Unicron finished somewhere around 12,000 I believe. So both of those are pretty rare (relatively) and as such their aftermarket prices are higher, as a percentage of original price, than the others.

Now granted, those were huge, popular, choices and the Hellcharger isn't even close to that popularity. However if it does fund it still has rarity on its' side which could make for a better return on the original price than the Razor Crest and Sentinel. Both of which still go for more than the original price by almost double, or more, depending on the day.

I think if it does fund, with enough time left, we could see a run on the tiers. Much like what happened with the Skystriker. It took its' sweet time, but when the floodgates finally opened it went from zero (figuratively speaking) to 16,000+ and nearly unlocking all the tiers in 24 hours.
canprime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2022, 08:29 PM   #5954
MorphGrid
Cobra Trooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by canprime View Post
I think if it does fund, with enough time left, we could see a run on the tiers. Much like what happened with the Skystriker. It took its' sweet time, but when the floodgates finally opened it went from zero (figuratively speaking) to 16,000+ and nearly unlocking all the tiers in 24 hours.
The thing is, what would be that floodgates opening reveal for the GR Haslab?

They already played their trump card by revealing a Mephisto tier, which means if Blackheart also gets revealed, then it's equally unlikely to garner much interest. Additionally, some of the GR lore + characters aren't really that well-known to casual audience that would justify 10,000+ backers.

Add in that you have a double-edged component in that if people think tiers are unreachable, then they'll back out because $350 might not be worth it for what they're getting. I still think this project will be backed in spite of the challenges, but I think it will be a "failure" in the sense that it didn't attract as many people as Galactus and Sentinel.

I think the biggest mistake for this Haslab is that the Legends team was way too aggressive in the marketing for an IP that is pretty niche.
MorphGrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2022, 09:15 PM   #5955
canprime
Master of the Universe
canprime's Ebay Auctions

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorphGrid View Post
The thing is, what would be that floodgates opening reveal for the GR Haslab?

They already played their trump card by revealing a Mephisto tier, which means if Blackheart also gets revealed, then it's equally unlikely to garner much interest. Additionally, some of the GR lore + characters aren't really that well-known to casual audience that would justify 10,000+ backers.

Add in that you have a double-edged component in that if people think tiers are unreachable, then they'll back out because $350 might not be worth it for what they're getting. I still think this project will be backed in spite of the challenges, but I think it will be a "failure" in the sense that it didn't attract as many people as Galactus and Sentinel.

I think the biggest mistake for this Haslab is that the Legends team was way too aggressive in the marketing for an IP that is pretty niche.

I agree with most of your points.

I will say that actually reaching the funding goal is probably the biggest inflection point. Once that happens those of us, myself included, who are sitting and waiting will probably have a greater sense of both urgency and FOMO. Right now it is all pie in the sky speculation because it hasn't funded, and is not looking too great. However if/when it funds then it becomes more "real" that this is an item that will exist and do you want to miss out (FOMO)? Then there will also be a sense of urgency, much like with the Skystriker, to get in and get those tiers unlocked to increase the perceived value.

I mean the tiers for the Skystriker weren't exactly gangbusters either. A never done before Scarlett who was basically nothing more than a new head on Ace's body. Night Force Ripcord, which is great, but again I don't know that people were hoping for him. Then Ketchup&Mustard (Pit crew) didn't get funded even though they were a great, thoughtful addition for the Skystriker. It wasn't until the Cobra Hack reveal, with 3 figures, 1 of which was a redo of a rare variant, that it finally took off.

For the Hellcharger the Mephisto should have been a no brainer considering how high he is on many collector's want lists. Plus he is a big name villain with no representation in ML. However he did land with a thud so they are now stuck with what to do after human Robbie didn't unlock. If Mephisto didn't move the needle, I agree that probably not much else will, outside of a GR and Bike (Horse, ride, whatever) being an unlock, or surprise tier.

Maybe they'll panic like the Joe team did with the Skystriker, or the SW team with the Rancor and add a surprise incentive to get it across the line. Even though Dan said no unveils.

Personally I think GR was a good choice for this Haslab, but there were a few assumptions made by the ML team that proved to be wrong.

1) Doing a Haslab to tied to the 50th anniversary of GR and not having anything that ties to the original in any way.

2) Relying on the newest GR to be the anchor for a 50 year old property when he isn't even 10 years old.

3) PRICE, PRICE, PRICE!!!! They took for granted that price would be a big factor. I mean the HISS just finished backing less than 2 months ago for $50 less than this, and clearly a lot of people feel that it was a better value than this project. It was a bit tone deaf on their part.

Either way let's see where this goes but first it has to stop losing backers.
canprime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2022, 10:14 PM   #5956
Zeroflamez
Master of the Universe

If this does barely get funded and the car becomes rare, it doesn't necessarily mean the price will appreciate on it. Heck it may even depreciate. If no one cares enough to pay the price resellers would want on the aftermarket due to its rarity, the price would certainly shoot down. Probably even lower than the price it cost to back it. I mean at the end of the day this is just a car with little to no paint and some lights. Even with the effect parts it's still underwhelming. It doesn't have the same nostalgia or Wow factor to get people on board like the other Haslabs that funded.

I agree 100% this Haslab was a mistake. What they should have done is a fully decked out Ghost Rider Bike instead. Lights, sounds, effect parts, diecast and a GR figure with a Powered Down Blaze or Ketch. Then Mephisto and whatever else as the unlocks.

Last edited by Zeroflamez; 09-25-2022 at 10:19 PM.
Zeroflamez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2022, 10:45 AM   #5957
CobraCommander
Jedi Knight

Keeps dropping from a high of 6120, now down to 5604.

B/S/T Threads:
ActionFigureNews
Hisstank
Cybertron.ca

Feedback Threads:
ActionFigureNews
Cybertron.ca
CobraCommander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2022, 10:59 AM   #5958
Canukle
Clonetrooper

I think you can count on it to at least stay the same value.

From what I've seen, re-sellers would rather leave it collecting dust in their basements or storage lockers, than sell it at a loss. Hoping that one day a Ghost Rider MCU movie gets made and they can make some money back.
Canukle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2022, 01:30 PM   #5959
Enforcer
Dark Knight

The Early Bird loss was a bump in the road and a bad call from a PR standpoint. Losing something from the perceived value in the first week is a very tough pill to swallow. If it weren't for this Early Bird situation, the backer count would still be going up if the depowered Robbie was announced as an early tier unlock. A 5th tier.

While it makes more sense to back now (zero risk, cancel at any time) to reveal all of the tiers and gauge the full value of the final release - an overwhelming amount of the final backers are fence-sitters who are waiting on the "product to become real" and the tiers are guaranteed. This will increase significantly before the deadline. Previous HasLabs have seen 10-15k backers in the final day. Galactus looked like a lost hope in the final 5 days, and did record numbers. The people on the fence are a frustrating majority - we can't see the whole scope of the release until they finally back... and that won't be until the end. It's always a flurry at the end.
Enforcer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2022, 01:37 PM   #5960
megathong
Cobra Trooper

I'm surprised no one mentioned how small the new windowless packaging is.

I found a Sentry and the box is about a 1/3 smaller. This is the reason Hasbro switched. It has little to do with plastic.

High shipping rates over the last 2 years have been a significant issue so this will help Hasbro reduce costs plus an opportunity to increase prices based on a change.

Smaller packaging also helps with warehousing both in China and worldwide.
megathong is offline   Reply With Quote