ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion
Go Back   ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion > Action Figure Discussion > Action Figure General Discussion

Old 01-31-2022, 01:47 PM   #1241
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys
Re: I open a toy & post it here... VOL 2!

761-2
Mattel- DC Multiverse: Red Robin

Full disclosure I?ve writing this review about 3 weeks after DC dropped the information that Red Robin, aka Tim Drake is bi-sexual. Consequently it is also being written about 1 week after DC dropped the information that Superman?s son Jon is gay which basically overshadowed any news about Tim Drake Robin (as is normal for the character it seams). It should be noted that I have not picked up a comic book in years and these changes do not compel me to change that, however I don?t really blame them. I think Kevin Smith said it best when stated that mainstream comics in their current form are full of second acts. I might add to it that there are times when a new character hits the scene, so that would entail a first act, but if all goes well, every comic book exists in a super hero purgatory where the characters can age, but seldom die and if they do will ALWAYS be brought back. Barring that, some temporal rift will reset the universe, but only to provide a ?fresh new look? of the same characters that we are all familiar with.

Another way that they play with the character is to change their relationships and I guess it?s DC prerogative to explore hero?s sexualities and if I?m being honest I couldn't care less. It should also be noted that Tim Drake Robin was my Robin growing up and this ?news? changes nothing; still my favorite Robin. That said, I also feel it?s somewhat lazy on DC?s part to not make a proper new character who identifies as Bi, but given what I said above, in a world of second acts this new thing may give the character a boost.

Pros: Tim Drake was my favorite Robin growing up and I was really psyched when I saw him, or rather Red Robin on sale at Winners. I?ve been critical of Mattel?s DC toys, but it seems that they were making improvements before losing the licence to McFarlane. RR has a great sculpt, decent articulation, some spare hands and his trademark staff. Pleasantly surprised with this one.

Cons: It?s been a while since reading the comics, but I thought Red Robin?s uniform was different. Perhaps this was a call back to a specific comic story and was an easy repaint, but I would rather have the other, unique look.

Team Jetfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2022, 01:47 PM   #1242
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

Old 02-02-2022, 06:07 PM   #1243
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

762-2
Toybiz- Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers: Eowyn

If you are a fan of the Lord of the Rings movies and have not seen the extended editions you really should check them out. I mean, you aren?t missing anything huge or important, but it?s just free to develop some of the scenes that were cut for time. One of the more interesting scenes during the Two Towers is when the people of Rohan are being led to Helms Deep accompanied by our main characters. The company stops to rest and eat and we learn through multiple guesses from Eowyn that Aragon is 125 years old. Sure, common knowledge to some who read the books, but a cool little piece of info for those who hadn?t. There is also another odd exchange in the same scene where Eowyn serves a bowl of stew to Aragon that he cannot stomach and cute little interaction happens between the two. I certainly understand why they were cut given that tonally they do not match the movie, but adding them doesn?t hurt either.

Pros: I have to hand it to Toybiz for going hard on these Lord of the Rings figures. Well detailed, a decent amount of articulation, play features with collectors in mind and a sword of her own for swinging. Really fantastic considering these are 20 years old and only cost around $10.

Cons: I?m so used to modern articulation that having a figure without full range motion in her neck seems odd. Also, while the long dress looks great, it limits pretty well all movement under the waist. I suppose I can?t get too mad considering this is STILL an issue for modern figures.

Old 02-07-2022, 04:36 PM   #1244
WhenGeeksCollide
Cobra Trooper

McFarlane Toys My Hero Academia “Lemillion” Mirio Togata
https://youtu.be/LXGlMeSO0b4
WhenGeeksCollide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2022, 02:09 AM   #1245
WhenGeeksCollide
Cobra Trooper

Marvel Legends X-Force 3 Pack
https://youtu.be/TwvPm9J95Zk
Old 02-09-2022, 06:20 PM   #1246
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

763-2
Hasbro- Marvel Legends: Sunfire

Once again I?m tasked with reviewing a figure for a character that I have zero familiarity with. This can either be attributed as a failing on my part as a bad comic book fan, or a win on Hasbro?s part given that I didn?t think twice about dropping $30 on a figure who I have zero attachment for in order to get a piece of a bigger figure, of whom I also have zero attachment for. I was going to complain, once again, about how Hasbro should do better to include background info on these toys, but lets be honest; do they really need too?

Pros: While I don?t know much about the character, I do know about cool toys and Sunfire is a cool toy. Detailed mould with a fantastic head sculpt, great articulation for the size class and some really great flame effects that fit really well over his fists.

Cons: While it?s not a perfect figure, Hasbro actually made this figure worthwhile.

Old 02-17-2022, 04:00 PM   #1247
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

764-2
Hasbro- Overwatch: Samba

It’s crazy that these Overwatch figures did not get more love in the toy collecting community. I mean, yes you really should have some connection to the series that the toy is based off of and there is a good chance that gamers aren’t into poseable plastic, but a cool toy is a cool toy regardless of the name on the package. Hear me out: these Overwatch figures are everything that the Marvel Legends figures should be. Amazing unique sculpts with minimal re-use, multiple accessories that fit the specific character and solid articulation throughout. That said, I’ve been a toy collector for a long time and understand the game very well: moulds are expensive and the cheapest way to make a buck is re-purpose and re-paint; which is fine to a point, but Hasbro is taking it to another level with the Marvel Legends line. I suppose a case could be made for the fact that a higher profit margin on a Marvel Legend repaint can make way for a super rad and unique Overwatch (or whatever) figure.

Pros: I mean, come on; this figure is gorgeous. Fantastic detailed sculpt with all unique parts (I think), a good amount of articulation, a nice looking gun that fits well in her hand, a landmine (I think) and an energy effect that I feel emulates a special ability that she uses in the game ( I think).

Cons: Another hit for this toy line. If you have the opportunity I highly recommend picking one up (on sale).

Old 02-18-2022, 05:49 PM   #1248
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

765-2
Hasbro- Marvel Legends: Sandman

As is tradition on Marvel Legends waves, BAF?s allow me time to look back at the figures that provided parts to build this figure.

Green Goblin- Easily the winner and stand out of the wave. Love the overall look and appreciate the care that went into this figure.
Spiderman 2099- I like the character, but have very little attachment to this version. A cool head and arm spikes does not a cool figure make.
Spiderman UK- Somehow even worse than Spiderman 2099. Bollocks.
Ms Marvel- I like the character and how this figure turned out. 2nd favorite of this wave.
Black Suit Spiderman- Black suit Spiderman is extremely iconic and deserved better than a repaint with 2 spare hands.
The Jackal- I actually like The Jackal, even though he doesn?t come with any accessories. Not sure what it is, but just think he?s neat looking.
Shocker- 3Rd place for the wave. The re-tooled parts on this figure works well.

Pros: WOW. This is why BAFs are sometimes awesome. Sandman is incredible. Super detailed throughout, four different hands including an amazing spiky ball and block, 2 different head sculpts and a good amount of articulation. I?ve always been a fan of Sandman and can?t believe how well they were able to capture his overall look.

Cons: Unfortunately mine has a small issue with one of his hip joins and can?t really get it to movie properly. There is also an issue with getting him to stand up with all that weight.

Old 02-18-2022, 05:49 PM   #1249
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

Old 02-24-2022, 03:53 PM   #1250
WhenGeeksCollide
Cobra Trooper

DC Multiverse Future's End BAF Wave
https://youtu.be/ECxZV4PUX6c