ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion
Go Back   ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion > Action Figure Discussion > Action Figure General Discussion

Old 12-10-2018, 12:13 PM   #311
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys
Re: I open a toy & post it here... VOL 2!

163-2
Mattel- DC Multiverse: Batgirl

I’m not sure how I feel about DC bringing back Batgirl from being the paraplegic “girl in the chair’ that supported the Bat family in their various crime fighting adventures. On one had it was nice to see a character like Oracle front and centre in comics, but on the other hand this “Batgirl of Burnside” reminds me of the Batgirl featured in the Animated Series which is probably my favourite of all the various Batman media. I suppose it’s a gentle reminder that in comics nothing is more constant than change.

I have taken a pretty firm stand in the past that I’m going to steal clear of the Mattel DC figures given their lack lustre moulds, weak articulation and overall terrible distribution, but could not help myself in tacking Batgirl in on to a toysrus.ca order to get free shipping. That's not to say that I didn’t want her, it's just that I had never actually seen her on store shelves to actually pick her up in person.

Pros: Mattel was able to capture the overall look of the character’s unique look in the mould and nice to have to character specific accessories.

Cons: Mattel’'s articulation continues to be innovative by 2002 standards, she also feels really cheap and fragile. Much like the other Mattel figures, this is not worth the $30 price tag.

Team Jetfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 11:45 AM   #312
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

164-2
Hasbro- Marvel Legends: Ant-Man

This review is timely considering I just finally got around to watching Ant-Man and the Wasp; a movie that I was actually looking forward too given my overall delight with the first one, but never got around to seeing it in the theatres due to my busy schedule. Overall I liked the movie well enough but felt that it was a bit of an afterthought to the much bigger epic that was Infinity Wars and felt that despite the post credits scene, the move felt a bit displaced in the MCU. I suppose it should be seen as a bit of a compliment that the movie and character does not need an appearance from Iron-Man in order to carry the movie, but still felt like a bit of an afterthought.

Pros: Really nice design and detail on the suit sculpt that could be made up of all new parts, or rather not reused from other moulds. Fun little miniature accessories included for ant sized fun.

Cons: For a character like Ant-Man, with inherently limited accessories, I feel as though Hasbro should have provided some additional hands or maybe a set of fists as the ones provided don't really suit the character much.

Old 12-12-2018, 02:05 PM   #313
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

164-2
DC Collectibles- DC Bombshells: Hawkgirl

Well, looks like I have a new contender for favorite Bombshell (Sorry Batwoman). Not to say that she doesn’t suffer from the same cheap-out, bait and switch, that Batgirl and the other Wave 2 ladies suffer from, but there is still a lot to love on this figure. On the other hand, maybe I’m just happy that nothing broke while I was fiddling with her giving her a slight advantage over the others.

Pros: Awesome head sculpt brimming with sass and personality that really captures the “Pin-Up” girl ascetic. The jet pack and flight suit are really well integrated in the sculpt. Also, has a bit of meat on her bones; not sure that this is specific to this sculpt and she's not “plus sized” or anything, however might be sufficiently thicc, for those who are into that kinda thing.

Cons: As mentioned, DC Collectibles pulled a fast one on us collectors with this line by going cheap with the accessories, added hands and articulation. I’m not sure if it would have really added too much given how great her sculpt is, but it just sucks when they take something away that really made the initial wave shine.

Old 12-13-2018, 01:59 PM   #314
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

006-R
Toy Biz- Marvel- X-Men Evolution: Wolverine.
Release Date (approx): 2001
Current Price and availability: $22.99
https://www.ebay.ca/itm/TOY-BIZ-X-ME...wAAOSw~y9ZAluf

Sometime after the Fox Kids X-Men series and before Disney bought Marvel there was a few cool Marvel based cartoons that were release. One of them, that survived a surprising long time, was X-Men Evolutions that featured a cast of X-Kids as teenagers, dealing with the stresses of being High School students while managing Super powers. In truth it’s nothing groundbreaking (kind of Spiderman territory of you ask me), but was a really well made series with a lot of heart and cool storylines; almost like if the kids of Degrassi had super powers. The toys predated Marvel Legends and certainly appeared to me as I liked the “animated style and the added articulation, something new for Marvel figures at the time. The toy line didn’t last long, but I was able to get the first wave which included Wolverine, Nightcrawler, Cyclops, Sabertooth and Toad, as well as 3 separate motorbikes; 2 Wolverine and a kick ass hog with Sabertooth. It's a shame that more female characters were not included in this wave as they played a big part in the series, but this was the time when female characters just sat on the shelves.

Pros: The figure is well sculpted and had decent articulation for the time. The bike is amazing with a die-cast construction and rubber wheels. I can’t recall the original cost on this set, but I feel like if was released now would be easy $60.

Cons: Wolverine has a bit of a difficult time holding on to the handle bars with, and while I like the head sculpt and that added accessory, it seems a bit superfluous to include a safety helmet to a guy who can literally heal from any injury. I would have rather had a masked head instead.

Old 12-14-2018, 12:26 PM   #315
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

166-2
Hasbro- Star Wars Black Series: Boba Fett.

Is Boba Fett the most popular Star Wars character? Certainly an interesting question and one that I’m sure would provide a lot of compelling arguments. For me I would say that when I was a young Star Wars fan he certainly held a place at the top given his badass persona, cool armor and larger than life image within the Star Wars universe. However over time, likely due to his oversaturation in the media since (Looking at you Attack of the Clones), his stock has dropped in my book. Not to say that I still won’t snatch him up when I see him, but perhaps won’t be the first figure I grab of that wave.

Pros: Overall a really nice figure with a detailed sculpt, key accessories including signature blaster, jet pack and side arm blaster that rarely is included and features a good amount of articulation. I’m also happy that this figure is being re-released so other collectors have have a crack at him if they missed the first few Black Series waves.

Cons: The only thing holding this figure back is also somewhat responsible for making it look cool: the moulded pouches hinder the hip articulation to the point where dynamic poses aren’t really possible. I suppose there is a trade off between form over function but it seems that this is happening more and more with many figures making me question if these toy producers even test the final product. Thankfully there is a bit of a work around by which you can move the belt, but the pouches are then misaligned.

Old 12-17-2018, 07:03 PM   #316
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

167-2
Hasbro- Transformers Prime: Arcee

Ok since I reviewed Transformers Prime Starscream I have watched exactly 1 episode of Prime on Netflix and even though I’m sure I’ve seen already, I felt that it was ok; certainly better than the current crop of shows, but still feels a bit lacking to me. Now before you get your pitchforks ready allow me to say that I was a huge fan of Prime’s predecessor Transformers Animated and by comparison, Prime was just kinda bland. I understand that in its own right Prime developed into something special so I look forward to seeing that as I make my way, albeit slowly, through the series.

Pros: A fantastic figure in both vehicle and robot modes. Motorcycle is very sleek and does a good job in hiding most of the robot bits. The Robot mode does a fine job in achieving the look of the character while still allowing a good amount of articulation throughout.

Cons: Even though her blades integrate well with the vehicle mode, they are decidedly lackluster as usable weapons while in robot mode.

Old 12-18-2018, 03:16 PM   #317
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

168-2
DC Collectibles- Icons: Superman.

Fun fact, I have only one other opened Superman figure in my collection thus far and it's not good. For those not keeping track it is Mattel’s Superman from Dawn of Justice that I got on sale for $5 and still felt ripped off. However comparatively DC Collectables hits it out of the park with this one. Sure still has the issues that all Icons have, but the sculpt is steller. For example check out the molded hair off his forehead; just think of the process that would have taken to get right; seriously top marks alone for that little detail. The more I delve into these Icons, the more that I am saddened by the premature cancellation.

Pros: Great head sculpt with iconic molded hair, decent amount of poseability and added hands. Included Fortress of Solitude butler Kelex which is a nice touch, but I think I would have rather had different accessories like ice breath or laser eyes.

Cons: On Icons the absence of key points of articulation that we have come to expect on 6” figures will always be an issue for me. More specifically on Superman, the ability to look up (to fly) should have been a no brainer too but was not included. The size (just under 6”) can also be an issue for some who like to mix their shelves, but I don’t really mind.

Old 12-19-2018, 12:51 PM   #318
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

169-2
Disney Infinity 3.0: The Mad Hatter.

While somewhat popular with Disney fandom, Infinity was a fantastic line of interactive figures that focused on something that big business executives absolutely love: CORPORATE SYNERGY! I mean, why else would 3 (THREE!!) Infinity figures be produced under this dumpster fire of a movie? Even more shocking considering that key Disney characters like Goofy and Pluto were never made? I mean, I understand that marketing and ties in are a thing, but to have have a Infinity figure of Time (another Alice figure) make the cut before a classic like say Peter Pan is bananas. However, that said, this level synergy has no doubt given us Infinity Tron Figures so I can’t complain too much.

Pros: As with the other Disney Infinity figures this sculpt is pretty fantastic and has a lot of personality additionally it has the distinction of being the 3rd Johnny Depp playable figure. I also very much appreciate that the figure base unique to the character with this one being a Tea Cup Dish.

Cons: The figure is based on a unremarkable movie that never hit with me and I somewhat lament the fact that The Mad Hatter was produced before a more beloved classic Disney Character.

Old 12-20-2018, 04:06 PM   #319
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

007-R
Mega Bloks- Marvel Blind Bag Series 3: Silver Surfer
Release Date (approx): 2012
Current Price and availability: $13.99
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Mega-Bloks-...-/222330734332

Not going to lie; I forgot that I have these little guys, which is a bit a bummer on part as they are cool as heck. Not sure I mentioned it before, but I'm not much of a Lego guy. That might sound a bit blasphemous in the toy community, but it's just not my thing. I mean I like what they do and appreciate all the toy sets, games and features, but to give you some insight as to where I’m coming from, I was 100% fine with what Lord Business and Finn's Dad (will Ferrell) was doing and was a bit pissed that he was vilified for having a hobby. I mean, i assume that Finn had his own stuff, but we should feel bad that he didn’t have all the Lego and couldn’t “play” with his dads? What bullshit nonsense is that? Anyways, getting back on track, I actually like Mega Bloks better as the Mini Figures are articulated with a better “play value” then your standard Lego set. Sure, I suppose that Mega Bloks work better as sets, that is, you are not really encouraged to “build your own adventure” like in Lego, but only a sociopath would have a $100 Lego built up as something OTHER than what is on the box.

Pros: I love these little articulated mini figures. They pack a ton of play value is a small little package. Specifically on surfer the mold looks nice and the metallic paint captures his look pretty well. Also works really well with the surfboard.

Cons: These blind bag figure really irritate me. Thankfully there was a giant surfboard in the package that made it pretty clear that it was Silver Surfer. Also Mega Bloks did this short packed thing that made some figures more rare than others; total dick move.

Old 12-24-2018, 11:52 AM   #320
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

170-2
DC Collectables- The New Batman Adventures: Robin

Two Robin’s in and we still do not have the original Batman from the Animated Series; such and odd choice by DC Collectibles. I mean, I know he’s coming down the pike and I certainly do not mind another Robin Figure, but really, Still?

The Animated Series “Timm-Verse” Is interesting to me as while it seemed like they were treating the subject matter with a good amount of reverence and respect, they really shied away from the Jason Todd Robin arc and skipped right to Tim Drake. I can understand given that it was basically a cartoon series aimed and kids developed to sell toys, but it's not like they didn’t take on some pretty heavy topics at times. If I had my way it would have been a two parter, with Batman feeling guilty about Dick moving on and trying to make it right with another ward, but only to have the Joker killing him off to end the series with Batman questioning whether or not he should continue his crusade for justice (a la The Dark KnighT). Then, theoretically, they could have explained that the New Adventures of Batman was set a year or two after those events thereby giving a reason as to why it looks different. Hell, I could even see this as another Direct to video DC animated movie and would totally be down to rite it (call me Mr Timm! I promise it would be better than Batman and Harley!)

Pros: I have alway been a big fan of Tim Drake in the comics, but I never really thought he was too sussed out in the “Timm-verse” where he was treated more like Robin 2.0. However, I will say that in the New Adventures, Tim acted more like Robin (wise cracking and full of energy then Dick’s Robin did in the Animated Series. To add to the confusion, Dick’s Robin suit was more reminiscent to the Tim Drake costume from the comic (which is why I liked it) and Tim’s Costume was more like the Jason’s Robin costume from later versions of the Jason Todd Story arc. I suppose this is a long way of saying that I like the costume on this version of Robin and the sculpt does well to capture the look of a younger, less serious Tim Drake.

Cons: Not sure what the general opinion is on this with the fandom, but I enjoy how all the “Robin” characters are similar yet different. Not only are their costumes and personalities different, but their go-to weapon is unique and I when I think of Tim Drake Robin, I think extendable Bo staff. So, while I cannot recall the specific episode that this figure was modeled after, I don’t think that Tim ever was given one in the series, which is a bit of a shame. I also don’t love relatively larger head that he has in relation to his body. I feel as though it is cartoon accurate, but a stylized choice that I didn’t really love between the 2 series.