ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion
Go Back   ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion > Action Figure Discussion > Action Figure General Discussion

Old 10-08-2022, 11:11 AM   #161
m.arndt
Convention Exclusive
Re: NMC Toys aka Northmen Collectibles feedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveslites View Post
So I have had the same sort of experience as everyone else here with NMC Toys (Northmen Collectibles).

Pre-ordered an item and waited almost 2 years for the product because I gave them the benefit of the doubt. Finally decided to cancel the pre-order (which took multiple emails over more than a month to get a reply from sales), and requested a full refund. He refused the refund (as it was past the limit to refund on my credit card), and would only allow store credit. I did not accept this, informed them of some of the many options available to issue a refund, and after multiple emails I decided to escalate things and contacted Consumer Protections Ontario. As advised, I also began CCing Consumer Protection Ontario on all emails.

His reply to this was multiple belligerent emails (the first 6 of which came within a 16 minute window) about how this is all my fault, how I am ?weaponizing? my patience against him, how much of a poor victim he is, and so on (Do not fall for any of this BS from him. It is just a sad tactic that he attempts to use). He also decided to cancel my other pre-order, and then he "banned me". He finally sent me an e-transfer for part of my refund owed for both items, however he decided he was going to charge a 5% cancellation fee. I continued to fight for the remaining 5% as it is illegal for him to charge such a fee for undelivered products after that amount of time, and the fact that he cancelled my second order, not me. His eventual reply was that if I wanted the rest of the money then he would see me in small claims court. I am still deciding how far I am willing to take this over the small amount I am still owed.

I left a google review recently and as expected, his reply is a full on BS gaslight and attempting to make me the bad guy. He made the mistake of stating that he was willing to share the emails between us with anyone who wanted them to prove I was the bad guy. I find that funny since I was nothing but patient, and professional throughout the entire conversation. Since he wanted to go public with them, I posted a link to the the entire chain in an update so anyone can see the emails and see for themselves the kind of person he is.

For anyone who currently has or has had a similar issue in the past with not receiving their items, I highly suggest you contact Consumer Protection Ontario(https://www.ontario.ca/page/consumer-protection-ontario) (1-800-889-9768) as you are protected in these situations under the Consumer Protection Act of Ontario. You do not have to reside within Ontario to file a complaint since the business is (only one party has to be).

Talking with Consumer Protection was a great help. Their representatives clearly explained the Act and how it applies to these situations, gave me advice on the next steps to take, and helped file multiple complaints against the business.

The part of the Consumer Protection Act of Ontario that deals with most of these situations is section 26, sub-section 1, late delivery. ( https://www.ontario.ca/laws/statute/02c30#BK32 )

This section states that a business has 30 days after the expected delivery date that was agreed upon when the item was ordered to have the item delivered to you, or 30 days after an amended delivery date that has been agreed to in writing. Yes, an ETA is an expected delivery date. If you do not receive the item within that time then you are entitled to cancel the order and get a full refund. No, you do not have to accept a store credit.

Consumer Protection Ontario can do a few things,

1) Help you with your immediate problem by providing advice and information on the Act, bring other agencies into the mix if required, and help mediate between you and the business. The final step here is they may advise you to go to small claims court.

2) If enough complaints are filed then they gain the ability to open their own investigation into the business at which point they have much more power and can take administrative actions such as written warnings, imposing terms and conditions on licenses and registrations and can suspend or revoke licenses or registrations. They could also issue compliance orders and if the business is found guilty of the Act, they could face fines and/or jail time.

Hopefully Consumer Protection is able to help you with your specific issue, but even if they can't, file a complaint anyways as they all stay on file and build up to potentially trigger their own investigation.

Bottom line is, do NOT do business with NMC Toys (Northmen Collectibles). If you have purchased something there and are having an issue now, or even an issue in the past, reach out to Consumer Protection Ontario and ask what your options are and file a complaint.
Thanks for posting this.
I?m going to call Consumer Protection next week and start the process of getting my money back. I?m looking forward to getting their email to CC them my emails to NMC. I don?t want any store credit as there?s nothing new in stock, and frankly I want the Thundercats figures I preordered. Hopefully by the time this is sorted out I can still purchase all the Thundercats figures I?m still missing from my collection. I just wish I had seen other etailers that was offering them at the time I preordered. (I don?t count CMDstore because I can?t justify their markup, although at least I?d have all the figures from them)

The last response when I politely asked for some kind of update was the last straw for me. There?s no fucking way when this much time has passed (I?m referring to the Xenmu wave) that you can?t ask your distributor for some kind of update, unless you don?t want to because you want to string the customer along and try to bully them into keeping the preorder indefinitely or bully them into taking store credit.
Not only that, the last response definitely didn?t come from ?Jessica?. The rudeness and lecturing that I?ve seen reported was in the email I got and was nothing like the emails I?ve received in the past.
m.arndt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2022, 07:04 PM   #162
Technisleeve
Red Shirt

I am currently emailing NMC regarding preorders with the standard responses of supply chain etc. I assume like others the thundercats waves are being rather problematic with these items being in store with several other retailers but NMC still has no idea when they will receive them. If you request in stock items to ship it will take several emails and in my case 2 months for the goods to finally ship out. I would suggest everyone avoid this place. I know I wish I had known this prior to ordering from NMC.
Technisleeve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2022, 04:58 PM   #163
cloud
Master of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technisleeve View Post
I am currently emailing NMC regarding preorders with the standard responses of supply chain etc. I assume like others the thundercats waves are being rather problematic with these items being in store with several other retailers but NMC still has no idea when they will receive them. If you request in stock items to ship it will take several emails and in my case 2 months for the goods to finally ship out. I would suggest everyone avoid this place. I know I wish I had known this prior to ordering from NMC.

I find the best way to get a response is email first so you did your part right. And if no respond in 48hours, I post on his facebook.

For some reason thw owner is too busy to respond to emails at work but has plenty of time to post on his facebook page for new stock(rarely happens), things are still on sale(moving dead stock), pre-orders are coming, or NECA has exclusives again that I can't take pre-orders for, how dare them.
And lengthly comments that could have been spend to do work. Respond to customers or emailing companies about orders....

Sigh!
cloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2022, 02:29 PM   #164
erik352
Cylon Centurion

Okay, here's my NMC story. I ordered Thundercats classics from them, way back when they were still called Northmen Collectibles. Got wave 3 from them, but never got Mumra, Cheetara, Tigra and Monkian from them. I waited and waited until I saw other e-stores getting wave 5 in stock already. Messages them a few times, mostly unanswered, or the usual response which is just check the website for any updates. A few weeks past and I'm seeing some stores already selling out of figures like Tigra and Mum-ra...so I decided to just cancel my order...I didnt even mind the 5% fee that was non-refundable...but he said since this was more than a year, he couldnt process the refund. He can only give full store credit. Just getting a reply from him took a few weeks since he rarely answers email. Finally decided to just get the full amount as a store credit, in the meantime I just went ahead a got my 4 other thundercats figures from someplace else.

Also notice he doesn't seem to have any new preorders from thundercats beyond wave 5, in fact no new preorders I can see for anything from super 7 or hasbro...all his preorders are mostly just funko, neca and mcfarlane.

I'm hoping he'll eventually get some of the thundercats figures in so that I could use the store credit...but Im not hopeful. I have close to $300 in store credit and I have no idea what to get because theres nothing else I need in his store. He doesnt get anything new, nothing I really need which is frustrating.

Last edited by erik352; 10-17-2022 at 02:32 PM.
erik352 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2022, 05:42 PM   #165
nighthawk
Jedi Knight

I had a lot of Hasbro pre-orders with him. He said that he had a new Hasbro rep assigned to him and the new rep just can't seem to figure out how to get him stuff. Not sure how it works, but I asked him to just let me swap all my pre-orders out for in-stock items.

I finally just cleared everything up in my account with him as I just got shipping notice for the last things now. In the end, I'm not out any money, but ended up using my credit to get some stuff that I wasn't initially going to get but got it just so I don't end up getting nothing.
nighthawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2022, 08:43 PM   #166
DubbaDee
Super Friend

1) Pre-order in full for items that don't come in
2) Jump through hoops to cancel and get charged 5% for your trouble
3) Use store credit to get things you don't really want, clearing up old stock

What a business model...
DubbaDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2022, 11:46 PM   #167
nighthawk
Jedi Knight

I was lucky not to get charged 5%. I'm done though. Kind of a relief actually.
Old 10-18-2022, 10:46 AM   #168
erik352
Cylon Centurion

so you actually got a refund?

I notice NMC doesnt seem to have any new preorders for hasbro or super 7, its mostly for funko, mcfarlane, neca and mezco. I asked him about this and this was his reply:

I do not post any new pre-orders from either of those two. Too many problems.
Hasbro can't seem to properly fulfill their products meanwhile their crap has no problem hitting big box stores and on top of that they keep raising the price on their stuff to the point where you barely make any money on them anyways so why sell something that consistently causes you problems you make no money on?
For super7 they seem to be biting off more than they can chew. They're on wave 4 of the Simpsons line for example meanwhile wave 1 is still not out yet. That's setting up for a big problem down the road. I will re-evaluate super7's future releases once they start finally actually releasing some of their products. Maybe they're just being hit badly by the impact of covid on manufacturing and supply chains I don't know. They do make a good product though so I'm keeping an eye on it.

he's always blaming these companies. I do understand where he is coming from when it comes to hasbro, but with super 7, there is delay...but other stores already got their stock. He hasnt yet....my guess is he probably didnt even order it because he is like 3 waves behind compared to other stores.

I really doubt he'll fulfill all the other thundercats he has up for preorder...I doubt he even ordered those. I'm just gonna get what I can from his in-stock items...which is really slim pickings as is. sigh. My take away from his whole experience is never to preorder anymore, just buy an item when it's instock. sigh

Last edited by erik352; 10-18-2022 at 10:49 AM.
erik352 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2022, 12:58 PM   #169
nighthawk
Jedi Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by erik352 View Post
so you actually got a refund?
I got credit to use on in-stock items. There were some things I was on the fence about and some that I would never have gotten if it wasn't for being in this situation.

At least I got something out of it.
Old 10-18-2022, 10:34 PM   #170
kentf
Red Shirt

I doubt he actively chose to stop business with Super7. If you scroll back a bunch of pages (about a year and change ago?) you’ll find my story of him admitting that he was in possession of Super7 items I purchased but refused to send to me, including the replacement pack Super7 sent to everyone for Panthro. Long story.

I went scorched earth on this dork and sent all my communications and his responses directly to Super7 customer service (shout out to Rudy!!). They said they were going to investigate it and reach out to the necessary people. Super7 may have their faults, but their customer service people have always been top notch and I believe that they wouldn’t put up with NMCs nonsense, especially if he’s giving their company a bad name.

TL;DR…Screw NMC.
kentf is offline   Reply With Quote