ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion
Go Back   ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion > Action Figure Discussion > Action Figure General Discussion

Old 04-11-2009, 04:09 AM   #1
pud333
Master of the Universe
Revoltech Street Fighter Ryu

Let me preface this review by mentioning that in highschool, I was a huge Street Fighter fan. In particular, I was a major Ryu nuthugger. That being said, I held off from buying this guy for so long due to the price point. I can happily say, I am glad I bought it.

Kaiyodo brings to us a line of Street Fighter figures based on the video game, Street Fighter Online Mouse Generation. I have never played the game, but that's besides the point. For those of you who aren't familiar with Kaiyodo's Revoltech brand, it's based on these patented ratchet joints that allows the figure to pull off, and hold, incredible anime-accurate poses. By far, some of the best articulation out there hands down. Kaiyodo started out primarily with mechas, but they've branched out to human characters.

The figure comes with a stand, four replaceable hands, and Ryu's fireball.

First of all, the sculpt is fantastic. It's sharp and clean, and the paint applications are flawless. My only quibble is with his hands. He suffers from DCIH-itis, which basically translates to massive freakin' hands. But as you can see below, he's a lot of fun and the revojoints allow for a wide range of movements. There are 12 revojoints in his neck, shoulders, elbows, upper body, hips, knees, and ankles. His wrists are connected by a simple peg that rotates. Ryu's gi is made from a soft, maleable material where the skirt of the gi is, which looks great, and doesn't interfere with the articulation.

The blue fireball attachment has a tiny peg that fits right into a hole placed on Ryu's hand.

The stand is not your typical Revoltech stand. It has three revojoints itself, one single, and a double, which allows for great control.

The figure stands really well on its own, but sometimes you need the stand for some of the more "action" poses.

Another little problem I have is with the shortness of the stand. I would have liked a slightly taller stand, or one that can be lengthened for poses like the classic dragon punch, but again, I'm nitpicking.

One thing of notice was how small he was. I didn't realize he was almost Joe sized until I put him next to a 25th Anniversary G.I. Joe. Now here me out: I know purists would probably throw a fit, but I think it would be awesome to have Kaiyodo get a kick at some North American properties like G.I. Joe, Marvel, DC, etc. It's not unreasonable for them to have it in 3 3/4" scale, and the quality of the build and anime-accurate sculpts would only help to produce some high quality figures. The 25th Anniversary G.I. Joes, IMO, are the best in the 3 3/4 scale for articulation. However, it's nothing like this.

Because this is an import, it's tough to find him for anything under $24.99 at the moment. Pricey, I know, especially considering the small size, but if you're a Street Fighter buff, then it will be worth it. Definitely one of the best Revoltechs out there. I plan on picking up a few more of these figures in the near future. Personally, the nostalgia I felt posing this guy for the first time was almost overwhelming. No tears though. Cause, I'm a man.

Last edited by pud333; 04-11-2009 at 04:22 AM.
pud333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 03:07 PM   #2
Icetron
Master of the Universe
Re: Revoltech Street Fighter Ryu

Wow that's a bit small for the price, but the figure looks pretty neat. I'm not sure if I'll end up getting any though, I'm trying to track down some old SOTAs first.

I'm really digging how natural the Revoltech joints look on these even though they're not Frauleins.

Last edited by Icetron; 04-11-2009 at 03:25 PM.
Icetron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 03:32 PM   #3
pud333
Master of the Universe
Re: Revoltech Street Fighter Ryu

Yeah, the figure is smaller than I even thought, but the quality is superb. Kaiyodo does a fantastic job in general of mass producing while retaining quality control. Their earlier releases had some paint application problems, particularly the Valkyries, but they've gotten much better lately. In general, Revoltechs are pretty small, but the human characters in the Fraulein line are much bigger and probably more worth the price point. I'd only really recommend this line for hardcore SF fans. Anyone else may not get as much satisfaction out of it due to the price.

Last edited by pud333; 04-11-2009 at 03:34 PM.
pud333 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
street fighter revoltech