ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion
Go Back   ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion

View Single Post
Old 02-28-2024, 05:26 PM   #1815
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys
Re: I open a toy & post it here... VOL 2!

1002-2
Diamond Select- Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Rings: Aragorn

Does Lord of the Rings series carry the distinction as being the best trilogy released to date? I mean, IMO, yes of course it does, but I’m not sure it is that simple given that LOTR isn’t even really a true cinematic trilogy in the same way that the original Star Wars was. I suppose that perhaps makes it better given that unlike Star Wars, there was a defined blueprint from star to finish, but some movies aren’t lucky enough to have a well crafted manuscript at their disposal and need to establish a world to later build off of. Take the Pirates of the Caribbean movies as an example. That first movie is flawless from start to finish and in turn led to a very successful franchise lasting 5 movies in total with the first 3 being a trilogy in their own right. However this leads to a whole other issue that is taking established trilogies and essentially diluting them with additional sequels that are outside of the original story. The aforementioned Pirates series is guilty of this, but so is the Matrix and even my beloved Indiana Jones movies. They NEVER work and never are able to capture the success the originals had, but the Studios apparently have money to burn and are clearly out of ideas so this is our reality for the foreseeable future.

So to revisit my original question, is the Lord of the Rings series the best Trilogy ever produced? Yes, but only because the source material is the one of the best stories every written that just so happens to be told in three distinctive parts.

Pros: Lovely, absolutely lovely. I have such a love hate relationship with these figures, but when they hit, they really hit. Aragorn has an amazing sculpt with lots of detail and a nice paint scheme. The articulation is robust and only somewhat limited by his hard plastic tunic and jacket and the accessories, including 2 swords (Naril, the blade that originally killed Sauron), 1 knife, sheaths and a torch that Aragorn used to ward off the Nazgul in the first movie.

Cons: As mentioned, the articulation is a bit hindered, which is a bummer, but the real issue is that Aragorn, and the other members of the Fellowship thus far, feel very fragile. I suppose this is just the state of action figures these days, but no less frustrating.

Team Jetfire is offline   Reply With Quote

» Action Figure Shopping