ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion
Go Back   ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion

View Single Post
Old 07-26-2021, 12:56 PM   #1037
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys
Re: I open a toy & post it here... VOL 2!

631-2
DC Collectables- DC Essentials: Batman

A new Batman can only mean one thing: It’s time for a new DC figure line! I’m not even kidding, every new line of DC figures, be it McFarlane, DC Collectables or even Mattel has started with a Batman figure. Not that it’s really a bad thing given that Batman is DC’s golden child, but do they have to be so on the nose about it? I mean, there are literally hundreds of options on the DC hero bench; why not throw some love their way? Now I’m not asking for them to make Plastic Man front and centre, but how about branching out to other members of the Justice League like one of the Green Lanterns or Martian Manhunter? And while I don’t like making this comparison, maybe do what Marvel did and focus on the other characters to further prop up the characters that you do have. You think Iron Man was a big deal 13 years ago? Hardly. Yes, he was an important character, but not the titan that Marvel morphed him into nowadays. Same with Captain America, Black Panther and Thor; back then it was all Spiderman and Wolverine so with the right touch, it can be done. Unfortunately though I think DC has a few crutches and Batman continues to be a massive one.

Pros: Well DC Collectables has done a good job in rectifying some issues that were present throughout the much maligned (not be me) Icons line. First thing is first, these are still sculpted with a good amount of detail and features familiar looks for the characters that we all love. Secondly they fixed the scale issue and while I have not done a back to back, I believe that these would scale well with other six inch lines. Lastly, Batman has all the articulation that was first promised, and not delivered on the Icons line.

Cons: So they fixed problems (that I really didn’t need fixing), but created a few new ones including the rather limited accessory selection that makes you think they went a bit too far on the idea of Essentials. Seriously a Bat-A-Rang? That’s it? Also, I find some of the joints, especially the neck joint to be gummy and I’m not sure that it’s long for this world. Overall, Essentials is a fine figure, but not a worthy replacement for Icons.

Team Jetfire is offline   Reply With Quote

» Action Figure Shopping