ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion
Go Back   ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion

View Single Post
Old 11-17-2022, 06:59 PM   #1422
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys
Re: I open a toy & post it here... VOL 2!

S-21
McFarlane Toys: DC Multiverse: Red Robin

I’m not sure if I’m a big fan of Tim Drake as Robin or I’m just a fan of his aesthetic that was used for Robin’s costume throughout the 90’s regardless of who was wearing it. I’m mainly speaking about Dick Grayson’s Robin from the Batman the Animated Series cartoon, but there seems to be a bit of revisionist history as to what the OG Robin wore. In any case, costum aside, I liked Tim’s character and was a fan of how they updated him from the typical downtrodden ward that needed saving by Bruce Wayne turned sidekick. Unfortunately, I’m not sure DC knew what to do with him in the long term given that he was quickly replaced by Bruce’s son Damien as Robin, but also was not heavily featured in the Batman mythology during the New 52 period of DC comics. I’m also a bit pissed that he has been left out of all but one lousy DC Animated movies to date.

I will give credit to the New Animated Series for making Tim the Robin after Dick moved on to Nightwing, but will never forgive them for making him the villain in the Batman Beyond: Return of Joker movie… sorry spoilers.

Pros: In a world where the original Robin steals your look one must adapt and if I’m being honest, this look is better than the 90’s Robin look that Tim Drake originated. McFarlane did a typically fantastic job with the sculpt and the details and I love that we got both adjustable wings and his trusty quarterstaff. Cool
stuff.

Cons: I love the McFarlane flight stands and wish they were included in every flight based character. Also, What's with the box art? They typically feature an art piece of the character, but instead they just took a (bad) picture of the toy. McFarlane is literally one of the best comic artists out there….

Team Jetfire is offline   Reply With Quote

» Action Figure Shopping