ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion
Go Back   ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion

View Single Post
Old 10-25-2021, 03:10 PM   #1132
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys
Re: I open a toy & post it here... VOL 2!

696-2
Hasbro- Overwatch: Mercy and Pharah

What truly makes a good action figure? It’s a question that I think we all need to address based on our own opinions, but I feel there is also support that sometimes a certain action figure is quantifiably good.

For starters, there is the obvious motivation to pick up a figure from a known franchise or character that you enjoy. In this day and age, it’s very rare that a toy line would be based on some unknown quantity. Sure, there are some outliers and specialized collector lines, but general release figures by the big players are tied to something.

The second motivation could be based on the overall style and design of the figure. This is less about who the figure is and more about appreciating the 3d rendered, fully articulated sculpture that many of these figures represent. And while it sounds hyperbolic to say, I really do feel that an action figure has an art type quality to it and appreciate the differences over the years and in each toy line.

Last motivation is cost and the range is getting harder and harder to stomach. I’ve written at length about my issues with getting less figure for more money, but also allows for some interesting purchases if the price is right. I mean, there are lots of opportunities to buy the best of the best figures of the greatest characters but you need to drop the cash. Case in point is Hot Toys. They are truly the gold standard of action figures, however are priced accordingly and while I would love a collection full of Hot Toys, I just cannot afford it. On the flip side, I’ve picked up some really amazing toys that were on sale that have blown me away. The NECA TMNT movie line comes to mind given that I had all but passed on them at retail, but picked up all four at $15 at my local LCS and absolutely love them. Would I have loved them at $30? Possibly, but the fact I got a deal made these figures that much better.

With all that said, my motivations have changed over the years and am way more driven by a cool figure and price over franchise these days hence why I picked up the Hasbro Overwatch. Sure, I’ll support certain lines like Gi Joe Classified, but some of my favorite figures of this year have come from interesting lines.

Pros: Mercy- I’m not going to bury the lead on this one. Mercy is amazing and could be in my top ten favorite action figures in my entire collection. She has an amazing sculpt with lots of detail, a good amount of usable articulation and some really killer accessories.

Pharah- While Mercy is the object of affection in this two-pack, Pharah is no slouch either. The sculpt is fantastic in its own right and has a great overall look and the jetpack/accessories make for an awesome looking figure.

Cons: Mercy- Not a thing. I adore this figure.

Pharah- Unfortunately all that great looking armor and bulk comes at a bit of a price. In Pharah’s case it interferes with the figures' articulation and overall poseability. Also, given they are flight type figures, I would have loved it if Hasbro included 2 stands.

Team Jetfire is offline   Reply With Quote

» Action Figure Shopping