View Single Post
Old 07-21-2021, 06:47 AM   #11
canprime
Master of the Universe
canprime's Ebay Auctions
Re: Haslab Projects General Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Jetfire View Post
Not to be a downer, but I really hate the Haslab projects. I just think catering to these massively expensive and exclusive projects leads to the deterioration of the overall accessibility to regular collectors. Is it really feasible to buy a single, albeit massive, figure for $700 that can barely fit into a collection every 6 months? Not to mention that $700 can buy around 20 regular 6” figures. Is a Galactus worth 20 regular figures?

One last point and I’ll get off my soapbox, but the success of those figures will all but kill any chance for a regular Galactus release at retail. Sure, it may have been a touch smaller, but even at the 32” it’s not the proper scale.

I would agree with you to some degree, however I also look at the ML line in general and see the pace of releases, in my opinion at least, has increased in recent years. There is so much product released in a year now that I don't see accessibility for a "one off" item as a problem. Rather I see the glut of releases as more of a problem. With so much released I think there tends to be a bit of the "out of sight, out of mind" mentality. You barely have time to digest a new wave before another hits the shelves, or Hasbro reveals another new wave/item.

Hell look at Shang-Chi. The movie isn't even out yet, but Walmart is already trying to clearance them!!

As for Galactus, just because Haslab makes something, doesn't preclude Hasbro from making another for retail. I kind of liken it to multiple price points for a line. Take GI Joe for example. They have a more basic 6" movie line for $10(US) and then the Classified 6" movie line for $20(US). Some of the more popular characters are available in both lines, simultaneously!!

So Galactus could easily be done at retail, for a lower price point, and still be a big figure. Of course it would also mean less articulation, features, etc.

However I do agree that it won't be any time soon, so as not to dull the Haslab project shine. However in time we will see another Galactus. Hell there is a rumour that the Transformers line will have another Unicron in 2023 to coincide with the 20th anniversary of the release of the original Armada version.

If there is one thing we should all know by now, it is that Hasbro is not afraid to retread characters when it suits them.
canprime is offline   Reply With Quote

» Action Figure Shopping