ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion
Go Back   ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion

View Single Post
Old 06-10-2021, 02:04 PM   #996
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys
Re: I open a toy & post it here... VOL 2!

599-2
DC Collectables- DC Icons: Death of Superman: Superman and Doomsday

That’s a wrap on DC ICONS folks and to be honest it has been quite the ride. Since 2015 they have managed 31 releases with 40 figures and had very little character overlap, unless you count some of the multipacks and re-released figures at the twilight of the run, so what you are left with is an excellent line with a deep bench of some of your favorite DC heroes and villains. And while I don’t want to disparage McFarlane given that they are doing good work, I can count the amount of DC Collectable Batman figures on one hand and have room left over for the 2 main Superman figures; same really cannot be said for Todd’s “DC Multiverse, but mostly Batman” line. And while I understand there were issues with this line, I still think that it is a gigantic bummer that both this diverse series had to end with un-produced figures and DC Collectables had to fold the way it did and really hope that McFarlane can move a bit outside of their Bat-centric comfort zone.

Pros: Doomsday- Amazing sculpt and detail that I am really going to miss on these DC Collectable Icons figures, a great amount of articulation that allows for a decent amount of poses and some key accessories including a torn cape that can fit on the included two sets of hands; one set closed and one set open; really amazing stuff.

Superman- It’s a bit odd to get excited over a figure of a dead guy, but here we are. Matching the iconic image from the culture changing Death of Superman mini-series, Superman is appropriately sculpted from being beaten and bruised, with his iconic costume torn with his mainly hair chest on display for all to see. Articulation is standard for the Icons figures and allows for some decent poses. Accessory wise he comes with an alternate deadhead, some blast/punching effects that fit well on his eyes and fists respectively and of course an entire ruble filled base with adjustable rocks, some cartoonish sound effect signs (which I didn’t use) and torn Superman cape flag.

Cons: Both: For whatever reason, BOTH figures have very loose hip joints making posing extremely challenging. Also I would have loved an extra set of hands for Superman given that a dead man is likely unable to make a tight fist. Lastly, while the base is a cool touch, there doesn’t seem to be a rhyme or reason for the various rock pieces; I mean, there are literally extra pieces included that will not fit in holes /pegs. Odd.

Team Jetfire is offline   Reply With Quote

» Action Figure Shopping