ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion
Go Back   ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion > Action Figure Discussion > Hasbro Toy Discussion

Old 05-25-2022, 05:43 AM   #5391
canprime
Master of the Universe
canprime's Ebay Auctions
Re: Marvel Legends discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorphGrid View Post
Fits in very nicely with comic Cap, especially if you have the 80th anniversary body. I've been using that and Cap as a duo together

I think Shang-Chi is more bad luck than the Eternals. I say this because Shang-Chi released at a time that no one was really ever going to movie theatres, which is why you saw streaming releases. Shang-Chi had a fair amount of hype considering it was the first Asian protagonist in a Marvel movie.

Eternals released shortly after but no one was hyped for the movie, so that was a huge error on Disney's part. I even struggle to find out why Eternals was a thing considering how small they were in the comics compared to the recognizables (although tht speaks to how random Phase 4 has been relative to the previous phases).

In regards to the toys, I think two other big factors was release timing, and design.

The toys got releases at terrible times because the pandemic really screwed up movie releases. Shang-Chi toys were out way before the movie, and some were even being clearanced before the movie even came out.

Both Shang-Chi and The Eternals also suffered from designs that really weren't very "toyetic." While there are some great designs in both films, the reality is that most of the costumes are boring when it comes to toys.
canprime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 08:50 AM   #5392
wesperino
Mutant

Quote:
Originally Posted by canprime View Post
In regards to the toys, I think two other big factors was release timing, and design.

The toys got releases at terrible times because the pandemic really screwed up movie releases. Shang-Chi toys were out way before the movie, and some were even being clearanced before the movie even came out.

Both Shang-Chi and The Eternals also suffered from designs that really weren't very "toyetic." While there are some great designs in both films, the reality is that most of the costumes are boring when it comes to toys.
Exactly this imo.

Also, during lockdowns some Provinces limited access to the toy area in Walmart too.

If no one can get to them no one will buy them.

I really enjoyed the Shang chi movie but the toys aren?t exciting at all. Same as eternals. I only picked up Icarus on clearance to have a Rob Stark action figure.
wesperino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 09:33 AM   #5393
VincentVega
Cobra Trooper

It's a shame because the headsculpts, detail on the costumes and paint jobs on the Shang Chi and Eternals figures are really well done. Some of Hasbros best figures, people just don't want them.
VincentVega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 12:35 PM   #5394
Enforcer
Dark Knight

I enjoyed both movies - Shang-Chi was definitely a surprise in terms of overall quality (based on the obscurity of the character and how little I knew about the comics), and made me appreciate the figures even more.

With regard to popularity - the same people who praise Marvel with #inclusivitymatters every time a new movie breaks barriers are not necessarily going to be paying for a ticket (doesn't translate to wide box office success, even with the pandemic factored in) and it definitely doesn't seem to translate into action figure sales. I wonder if this will impact how Marvel/Hasbro approaches more ambitious films and the tied in merchandise/figures.
Enforcer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 01:46 PM   #5395
canprime
Master of the Universe
canprime's Ebay Auctions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enforcer View Post
I enjoyed both movies - Shang-Chi was definitely a surprise in terms of overall quality (based on the obscurity of the character and how little I knew about the comics), and made me appreciate the figures even more.

With regard to popularity - the same people who praise Marvel with #inclusivitymatters every time a new movie breaks barriers are not necessarily going to be paying for a ticket (doesn't translate to wide box office success, even with the pandemic factored in) and it definitely doesn't seem to translate into action figure sales. I wonder if this will impact how Marvel/Hasbro approaches more ambitious films and the tied in merchandise/figures.

I don't know about diversity, etc. However more and more it seems to be a toss up for Hasbro when it comes to MCU films and toys. The legacy characters/heroes seem to sell well, but anything else is really a crap shoot. Shang-Chi and Eternals are an obvious example, but what about Dr. Strange? Are the figures selling well, or is it just that distribution is terrible? Black Widow? Distribution, movie delay, character? Captain Marvel? I mean the movie made a billion dollars, yet the toys languished until major clearance, and even then sometimes hung around.

The you have the TV shows. Moon Knight looks to be popular, but is that because of the show, or the designs? Or both? What about Sharon Carter? The Hawk Eyes? What If seemed to sell well, but again it is hard to say due to everything going on the last few years. Falcon/WS is still available on Walmart.ca at a discount.

I think it is hard to say what the MCU means for toy sales, at least collector skewed lines like ML. Obviously media helps drive sales, but how much so now?
canprime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 02:51 PM   #5396
wesperino
Mutant

Quote:
Originally Posted by canprime View Post
I don't know about diversity, etc. However more and more it seems to be a toss up for Hasbro when it comes to MCU films and toys. The legacy characters/heroes seem to sell well, but anything else is really a crap shoot. Shang-Chi and Eternals are an obvious example, but what about Dr. Strange? Are the figures selling well, or is it just that distribution is terrible? Black Widow? Distribution, movie delay, character? Captain Marvel? I mean the movie made a billion dollars, yet the toys languished until major clearance, and even then sometimes hung around.

The you have the TV shows. Moon Knight looks to be popular, but is that because of the show, or the designs? Or both? What about Sharon Carter? The Hawk Eyes? What If seemed to sell well, but again it is hard to say due to everything going on the last few years. Falcon/WS is still available on Walmart.ca at a discount.

I think it is hard to say what the MCU means for toy sales, at least collector skewed lines like ML. Obviously media helps drive sales, but how much so now?
TBH I don't dip into MCU ML figures often. I prefer the comic book stuff as it is more "timeless". That being said, the What if and the Thor LT waves are so close that they kinda bleed into the comic book world of ML.
Jane Thor from LT looks like she can stand in on a comic shelf or the MCU shelf. Groot is like that too and Korg can probably slide into the back of the comic shelf if you need him too.

I will say that the figures coming out now seem to be, for the most part, really well done reps of the characters....except for a few. Looking at Retro F4 Sue right now...
wesperino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 03:01 PM   #5397
cloud
Master of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Napseeker View Post
Question: is Diamond a publicly traded company? If it's a private company, then they don't have this crazy obligation to shareholders to constantly demonstrate that they are growing their profits quarter after quarter.

They won't have executives like at Hasbro, which are greedily trying to maximize their own personal incomes by increasing share value so that their stock options will be worth millions once they can exercise them.

AFAIK, McFarlane is a private company and has none of these shareholder or stock option "pressures" so he can keep his toy prices fair and competitive. The same would apply to Diamond if they are also private, I suspect that they are, though I can't confirm it.
Once again. Its not about greed. Its just business. Like Toddfather mentioned its the execs job to make sure there are profits for shareholders. Otherwise their jobs will be at stake does mean Hasbro is always profiting
For example. Probably part of Marvel Legends price hije is because many waves of Marvel Legends didnt perform well, Eternals, Xmen AOA part2, Shang Chi, etc amd the MCU solo stuff
cloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 11:28 PM   #5398
Zeroflamez
Master of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloud View Post
Once again. Its not about greed. Its just business. Like Toddfather mentioned its the execs job to make sure there are profits for shareholders. Otherwise their jobs will be at stake does mean Hasbro is always profiting
For example. Probably part of Marvel Legends price hije is because many waves of Marvel Legends didnt perform well, Eternals, Xmen AOA part2, Shang Chi, etc amd the MCU solo stuff
Yea but all their properties got multiple price hikes. That would mean all of their lines are performing not very well which would mean Hasbro is in deep water, and as it looks now with all the new product coming, they aren't.

Unrelated but is Walmart starting to stock Neca now? I saw a couple of Alien figures yesterday and they were decently priced, around $40.

Last edited by Zeroflamez; 05-26-2022 at 12:48 AM.
Zeroflamez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2022, 05:23 PM   #5399
iamcdn1966
Red Shirt

Spider-Man Upgraded Suit exclusive is available on Toy Snowman.

https://toysnowman.com/collections/m...-man-exclusive
iamcdn1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2022, 10:40 AM   #5400
lifedragon99
Decepticon

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamcdn1966 View Post
Spider-Man Upgraded Suit exclusive is available on Toy Snowman.

https://toysnowman.com/collections/m...-man-exclusive
Man what's with him getting all these walmart exclusives. I LOVE IT!!

I was able to get imperial Crosshair, Infinity Saga Captain America and now Spider man.

Not to mention all the sales he has on Lightning collection figures, and rewards points. This is my go to online store when I can't get EBgames discount.
lifedragon99 is offline   Reply With Quote