ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion
Go Back   ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion > Action Figure Discussion > Action Figure General Discussion

Old 08-06-2021, 05:00 PM   #1051
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys
Re: I open a toy & post it here... VOL 2!

640-2
McFarlane- DC Multiverse: The Joker

Weren’t the Batman: Arkham Asylum games great? Well, I suppose I only played through the first one and it probably was one of the last games I played through to completion so maybe my idea of a good game is slightly warped at this juncture, but the point still stands in my mind anyways: I liked the first release of that game. I’m actually really surprised that McFarlane spent some resources on the versions of the characters given that the games came out some time ago and I would have thought there better DC characters to focus on. That said, Batman trumps all in McFarlane’s eyes, so any and every iteration of the Bat-universe is likely fair game. One funny circumstance of this figure is that it is the first McFarlane DC Multiverse figure from a DC Animated Universe film. As it was news to me at the time, the Suicide Squad movie, Assault on Arkham was actually part of the Arkham-verse and featured this very same Joker, but with oddly enough, a different Voice Actor, or NOT Mark Hamill, playing the Joker.

Pros: This Joker has such a great overall look and could easily be one of my favorite iterations of the character in toy form thus far. I love the detailed sculpt and head sculpt, the articulation works well for the character and provides movement enough for some decent poses. Accessory wise he’s a bit light, however the handgun fits really nice in his hand and the chattering teeth are a nice feature from the game.

Cons: Not sure what else I could have wanted from this figure; it’s pretty great with really no issues.

Team Jetfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2021, 12:17 PM   #1052
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

641-2
Hasbro- Transformers Generations: Megatron & Chop Shop.

Megatron is another one of those random minifigure two packs that paired a classic transformable character with another transformable classic figure who also can convert into a weapon. Seems pretty standard, but given that both figures are around 2-3 inches, it’s actually a fairly impressive feat of engineering. I reviewed the StarScream and Waspinator earlier and was actually pretty impressed, but I’m glad I didn't go further down the rabbit hole on these legend sized figures as they don’t really fit into my collection anymore. I mean, do I really need another smaller version of Megatron? Especially if I’ve branched out collecting to other lines?

Pros: I’ve said it before of mini-figures, but I am constantly surprised at the level of engineering present on a figure that is only 2-3 inches tall. Overall, Megatron is a fun little figure that looks decent in both modes and has a simple, but fun transformation. Chop Shop is a cool little figure that is an excellent homage to the G1 Insecticon of the same name and I’m impressed at the level of playability that is packed in a really tiny figure.

Cons: As I’ve moved on from Transformers I’ve come to the realization that Legends sized figures are really not for me and don’t fit into my collection. This really isn’t the fault of this Megatron, but just a fact in general. It’s a fun little figure, but I’d rather the small toys be based on characters that don’t normally get deluxe sized figures like the Mini-Bots, Cassettes and minicons.

Old 08-09-2021, 12:17 PM   #1053
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

Old 08-10-2021, 12:33 PM   #1054
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

642-2
Hasbro- Star Wars Black Series: Rey & BB-8

I’m sure that I have said it before, but it bears repeating: Some people’s attempt to discount the character of Rey as being something less-than by calling her a “Mary Sue” is probably my least favorite thing to come out of the fandom since the ridiculous documentary “The People Vs George Lucas” and really shows how toxic the Star Wars fandom has become. If you are not aware, a Mary Sue is an unfair term to describe a female character in stories that faces very little opposition and when they do, they are able to overcome without any real challenge or development to support their unfounded abilities. The reason why it is unfair is because it targets female characters while giving a pass to the multitude of male characters that have the same unfounded abilities and I really wish it would stop. I mean, there are a number of problems with the sequels, as with all the Star Wars movies, but when individuals write off the character based on a rather chauvinistic standard, it says a lot more about the critic than the series that they are criticizing.

Pros: I’m going to be honest; I was hoping for more from Hasbro for the first Rey Black Series figure. I mean, it looks kind of like Rey, has some standard Black Series type articulation and includes the standard accessories including her staff and Light Saber, but if I’m being honest though, the best part of this figure is the inclusion of BB-8 and at that, it is really just a basic figurine.

Cons: While I don’t like being nitpicky on these reviews, I can’t overlook certain issues that really bug me on a figure that should have been amazing for being the initial release of the character. The head sculpt is washed out and looks like someone used the snapchat age filters one too many times, the once flowing outfit is made up of hard plastic and the included staff, which should have been really cool, has a ridiculously stupid hard plastic strap that makes it all but impossible to hold on her shoulder, or across her chest, like she does throughout the movie?

Old 08-10-2021, 12:34 PM   #1055
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

Old 08-11-2021, 12:19 PM   #1056
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

643-2
Hasbro- Marvel Legends: Red Skull Iron Man aka Iron Skull

I guess this figure is based on an actual character in the Avengers Assemble cartoon series, but I think in a different world, it actually could have been a villain in the early days of the MCU. Think about it, Red Skull played a rather large role in The First Avenger whose fate was not sealed and could have easily been resurrected like Cap. Perhaps he steals Stark tech and team up with Loki in the Avengers before Thanos shows up? Now I’m not saying that this is what I would have wanted, only that it could have been an option and given that the Red Skull was somewhat under used it might have made sense.

Pros: Iron Skull gets points based on originality alone. I mean, whoever thought of it at Hasbro deserves a raise. Step one: take an old Iron Man figure. Step two: repaint it black and red and throw an extra skull head in for good measure. Step three: Profit. I guess the other thing it has going for it is that it’s an interesting part of a rather weak Marvel Legends BAF wave with a few other meh figures.

Cons: Iron Skull has the same articulation issues that Iron Man figures tend to have plus some blast effects would have made the re-paint more worthwhile.

Old 08-12-2021, 01:03 PM   #1057
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

644-2
Hasbro- Transformers R.E.D.: Megatron.

Pretty heavy on the Megatrons lately, but it’s really just luck of the draw. Besides, this one hardly counts given that it’s one of these wonky RED figures that does not transform. I mean, I call them wonky, but I kind of love them just the same. Sure, it would be awesome to have a truly cartoon accurate transforming figure, but it’s impossible, especially for the mass converting KING himself. It’s not clear where this line is going, and I’m not sure if I want it to extend to the Movie figures, but I would LOVE a Cybertron Trilogy Hot Shot or even a RID Optimus just the same.

Pros: RED Megaton is a nicely sculpted, dynamic figure with lots of usable articulation for many poses and has a really nice selection of hands/accessories that almost make you forget that it was supposed to transform.

Cons: I may have got a dud, but the AB Crunch articulation is unbelievably and frustratingly loose. I’m sure there is a fix, but it seems to hold in place if you don’t touch him.

Old 08-13-2021, 03:32 PM   #1058
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

645-2
Hasbro- GI Joe Classified: Scarlett

Only the 5th Classified figure was released and they already included a female character! And while that shouldn’t be a big deal considering it’s been proven time and time again that female characters sell just the same, it was not that long ago that Sigma Six was released having NO females as part of their roster even though the women of Joe and Cobra were heavily featured in the cartoon and other media. Scarlett, Jinx and The Baroness all could have had a figure, but for whatever reason, they were never produced. I suppose it could have been due to the fact that Sigma was heavily marketed to boys and I’m sure they were still gun shy about the dreaded female shelf warmer, but I feel like on female mold that could have been retooled for the 3 females would have gone over really well with Joe collectors and may have even helped the line survive a bit longer.

Pros: I realize that there has been some static regarding the overall look of the version 1 Scarlett figure, but I’m not sure I understand why as I think she looks great from head sculpt to body mold to paint job. That said, I've never been a stickler for the “Joes= Military realism” philosophy and am fine with the rather futuristic looking gear that she sports. I also appreciate the knives and extra belts that she comes with.

Cons: I’m not sure if it was just the one that I got, but my Scarlett has a MEGA loose hip connection and her legs basically can flip side to side with no effort at all. I also really dislike the construction of her crossbow as it falls apart very easily.

Old 08-16-2021, 03:01 PM   #1059
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

646-2
DC Collectables- The New Batman Adventures: Etrigan the Demon and Klarion the witch boy.

Now don’t quote me on this, but I think that after Zatanna, as featured in the previous review, Etrigan, Klarion (and Jason Blood) are the next group of non-BAT specific, DC characters to be featured in the Animated Timm-Verse cartoon series. Which is another spectacular feat considering that these are all relatively unknown, deep bench characters that would quickly be overshadowed by the main JL roster that was forthcoming? I suppose there is a magic/mystical element to all these characters that works well within the confines of the “Animated Universe” and certainly binds them to Zatanna, but I have to wonder if the producers knew that a larger DC animated universe was on the horizon. If so, I applaud their restraint in story telling given that it would have been so easy to forget a cool little gem like Etrigan in favor of an early Superman or Wonder Woman appearance; something that I doubt they could do these days.

Pros: Etrigan- Quick sidebar, I was really looking forward to the announced Icons version of Etragan and was SUPER bummed when it was cancelled, so this version was going to be in my good graces regardless. That said, he’s a solid character with a fantastic Animated Series style, good amount of articulation and some nice additional hands to finish off some nice poses.

Klarion- I do not like this character, but I can appreciate what DC Collectables was able to do with the Animated Style. I like that they included the Branding Iron featured from the show, some spare hands and of course his freaky morphing cat. Interestingly enough, I believe this is the only toy produced of the character.

Cons: Etrigan- Not that I don’t appreciate having the freaky little kid as a pack in, But I would have much rather had Etrigan’s non-demon alter ego: Jason Blood. Some flame effects would have been cool too.

Klarion- As with others in this line, Klarion has some fairly limited articulation. Overall it’s fine given that he’s not exactly a super limber character to begin with, but last I checked this was not a Kenner line from 20 years ago.

Old 08-16-2021, 03:02 PM   #1060
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys